The Comeback - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 01-20-2014, 11:40 PM
JoeKingPT is "The Comeback"

Hey SS! Long time no see!

Kept things quick and simple today. Took a half day at work because it's the 16th anniversary of my dad's death. But I still had to do something in the gym to let out my aggression after the Niners loss, so frustrating...

Chest/Triceps

Leverage Flat Bench Press superset with Leverage Incline Bench Press - 10 sets (15/12/12/10/10/10/8/8/8/15). Adjust the weight according to the rep scheme and focus on full range of motion.

Standing High-Pulley Cable Flyes - 5 sets (15/12/10/8/8). Nothing fancy, just squeeze at the top of the movement.

Cambered Bar Cable Triceps Pushdown superset with One-Arm Cable Triceps Extensions - 5 sets (15/15/12/10/10). Adjust the weight accordingly, try to minimize rest in between sets and rep it out.

Bent Over Resistance Band Tricep Kickbacks - 5 sets (12/12/12/12/12). Use a thick enough band (and stand far enough away from the attachment point) to max out at 12 reps per set.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:54 PM

Legs today, lots of compound movements. The weather was so nice I did half the workout outside. My club has an outdoor workout area with a Rogue cage and bumper plates. It's perfect for days like this.

Deadlifts - 6 sets (12/10/8/6/3/2). Go heavy! I used straps and a belt for the last 3 sets, normally I would avoid straps.

Back Squats - 5 sets (12/10/8/6/4).

Kettlebell Goblet Squats superset with Bodyweight Walking Lunges - 4 sets (12/12/12/12 and 24/24/24/24). Keep the weight the same for the kettlebell lunges, go deep so your elbows touch your thighs. Then put the kettlebell down and perform 24 walking lunges (12 on each leg).

Leg Extension Machine superset with Lying Leg Curl Machine - 4 sets (15/12/10/10). Increase the weight each set except on the last two. Minimize your rest intervals.

Leg Press Calf Press - 4 sets (25/25/25/25). Keep the weight the same and focus on getting peak contraction - no half reps!

Seated Calf Raises - 4 sets (25/25/25/25). Same as above.

The workout felt pretty good. It was nice to go heavy and get some fresh air.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:53 PM

I forgot to post my workout from yesterday (Delts/Traps). I was going to post it after I got home from work, but my wife surprised me with a nice dinner and some dessert. We rarely eat dessert, so I knew something was up. She gives me this cake:

Looks like we're having #2! Yikes!

Anyways, just thought I would share because I'm pretty excited. BTW, the cake was good (Whole Foods), but way too much frosting.

Delts/Traps

Seated Military Press - 7 sets + Double Drop (15/12/10/10/8/8/6). Increase the weight with each rep change. On the last set, perform a double drop set with this rep scheme (6/10/12).

Seated Cable One-Arm Overhead Press - 4 sets + Double Drop (15/12/10/8). I used the Free Motion Shoulder Machine for this one. Try and keep your elbows slightly in front of you rather than flared out to the side. On the double drop, use this scheme (8/10/12).

Dumbbell Reverse Flyes On Incline Bench - 4 sets (12/12/10/10). Lay chest down on an incline bench.

Standing Cable Reverse Crossover Flyes - 4 sets (12/12/10/10).

Barbell Upright Row superset with Dumbbell Lateral Raise - 4 sets (10/10/10/10 for each). I kept the weight the same for all sets.

Barbell Shrug superset with Dumbbell Shrug - 4 sets (20/15/12/10 and 12/12/12/12). Increase the weight each round of Barbell Shrugs but keep the Dumbbell Weight the same. Focus on peak contraction and try not to use straps.

Cable Reverse Shrugs - 4 sets (20/20/15/15). I just wanted to finish off the traps a bit and the cable behind the back shrugs provide a nice burn.

I'm sure today's workout will be great because I'm feeling pretty pumped up!

Old 01-24-2014, 11:22 PM

Good workout today, I tweaked a mid-back muscle just a little towards the end, but it shouldn't be a big deal. I probably went heavier than I should have on a few exercises, but I had some good adrenaline going.

Biceps/Triceps

Standing Dumbbell Curl superset with Standing Hammer Curl - 4 sets (15/12/10/8). No alternating here. I had to rest/pause a couple of times.

Preacher Machine One-Arm Curl - 3 sets (10/8/6). Go heavy, once completed try and perform some power partials or static holds if you can.

Reverse Barbell Curls superset with Barbell Curls - 4 sets (10/10/8/6). Nothing fancy, try not to rest too much between the two exercises.

Cable Curl 21's - 3 sets (21/21/21).

Cable Concentration Curl Burnouts - 1 big drop set (8/10/12/14/16/18/20). The way I like to do these may be a bit unconventional. I take the cambered bar and set it on the low pulley. Take a close grip on the bar and step back. Squat down as low as you can with your bodyweight on your heels. Place your elbows on the inside of your thighs and curl the bar to your forehead. The pump is great, even if you aren't doing burnouts.

Skull Crushers superset with Close Grip Bench Press superset with Close Grip Incline Push Ups - 4 sets (12/12/10/10 for all). Lay on your back on a bench and perform skull crushers. Using the same bar, perform close grip bench. Then put the bar down and perform close grip pushups with your hands on the bench. Increase the weight on the bar after 2 sets.

Seated Overhead Tricep Extensions - 4 sets (12/12/10/10). I used the same bar and weight for this exercise as I did for the previous one.

Cambered Bar Pulley Pushdowns - 4 sets (12/10/8/6). Go heavy here, and be sure to keep your elbows tight to your body. Mine flared out on my last set (too much weight) and that's when I may have tweaked my back. I paid for losing my form!

Rope Pulley Pushdowns superset with Resistance Band Extensions - 3 sets (12/10/8 and 15/15/15). Tie off the band to a high point on a machine. With an overhand grip (pronated), lean forward, keep your elbows tucked in to your sides and extend both arms behind you like a kickback.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:31 AM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKingPT View Post
I forgot to post my workout from yesterday (Delts/Traps). I was going to post it after I got home from work, but my wife surprised me with a nice dinner and some dessert. We rarely eat dessert, so I knew something was up. She gives me this cake:

Congratulations!

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 01-27-2014, 10:31 PM

Thanks, Commander. I don't think we've met before. I left around '05 or so (I used to be one of the owners).

Pretty good workout today, I had good energy and I kept the volume a little lower than I have been the last couple weeks. I just focused on slowing things down and using good form. My back is 100% from Friday. It actually felt fine Saturday morning. I stuck with the leverage presses rather than barbell presses today for my shoulder, but things felt really good.

Chest/Triceps

Dumbbell Flat Bench Press - 4 sets (15/12/10/8). Perform a drop set on the last exercise. I dropped the weight down to my starting weight and performed 15 reps.

Leverage Flat Press - 4 sets (12/10/8/8). Perform another drop set on the last set of this exercise. I dropped it below my starting weight and performed about 15 reps.

Leverage Incline Press - 4 sets (12/10/8/6). Perform yet another drop set on the last set of this exercise. Aim for 12/15 reps.

Dumbbell Flat Bench Flyes - 3 sets (12/10/8).

Dumbbell Skull Crushers - 4 sets (12/12/10/10). I probably could have used a little more weight here, triceps were feeling fresh. I usually don't do this as my first tricep exercise so it was easier than I expected. Just focus on form and getting full extension.

Standing Reverse Grip Pulley Pushdown - 4 sets (12/12/10/10). Use the cambered bar and perform a drop set on the last set (aim for 15 reps).

Rope Pushdowns superset with One-Arm Cable Pushdowns - 3 sets (12/12/10). As soon as you finish the rope extensions, take the rope off and just grab onto the rubber ball at the end of the cable and perform one-arm cable pushdowns (don't forget to lower the weight!).

Pulley Pushdown Burnouts - 1 large drop set (8/10/12/14/16/18/20). Select a weight you can only perform about 10-12 reps with. Perform 8 reps with that weight then drop the pin down one plate and perform 10 reps and so on until you reach 20 repetitions. I used the cambered bar but a straight bar will work fine as well.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:59 AM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKingPT View Post
Thanks, Commander. I don't think we've met before. I left around '05 or so (I used to be one of the owners).
Do you still keep in touch with Jacob or Gabe?

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 01-28-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Do you still keep in touch with Jacob or Gabe?
No, we lost touch after college. We got our undergrad/grad degrees together at CSUEB.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:21 AM

Good workout today. I started with lots of energy and carried it throughout. Maybe it is because it was a high carb day.

Back/Biceps

Pullups superset with Deadlifts - 6 sets (10/10/10/10/10/10 and 15/12/10/8/6/4). Take as much rest as you need between each set. Your last two deadlift attempts should be heavy.

Leverage High Row superset with Leverage Low Row - 4 sets (15/12/10/8). Both hands at the same time.

Standing Cable Pullovers - 4 sets (15/12/10/8).

Barbell Curl - 4 sets (15/12/10/8). Try not to cheat here, so you may not go as heavy as you would normally. Keep these strict.

Seated Dumbbell Curl - 4 sets + drop (15/12/10/8). Alternate your arms and perform a drop set on the last set (aim for 10-12).

Preacher Curl Machine - 5 sets + drop (15/12/10/8/6). Work your way up to a heavy weight. On the last set, drop the weight WAY down (below where you started your first set) and rep out 20-25 times.

Standing Hammer Curls - 4 sets (15/12/10/8). Alternate these, too.

We had a Muscle Milk rep in the club this afternoon, so I got a bunch of free products. Sipping on the Muscle Milk Pro Series Mega Protein Shake (chocolate) right now. Tastes pretty good!

Old 01-31-2014, 01:30 AM

Leg day today. They felt great!

1,220 pound leg press.

Leg Press - 8 sets (15/12/12/10/8/6/6/4). Increase the weight each set, on the last set drop the weight to your original start weight and perform 15 more reps.

Barbell Reverse Lunge - 4 sets (12/10/8/8). Perform alternating reverse lunges. The rep numbers are for each leg, not combined!

Leg Extension superset with Leg Curl - 4 sets (15/12/10/8). On the last round of each exercise, perform a drop set of 10-12 reps.

Dumbbell Step Ups - 4 sets (12/12/10/10). Hold a single dumbbell underneath your chin (like you would while doing a goblet squat). Place one foot on a flat bench and step up and down. Then switch legs.

Seated Calf Raises - 8 sets (25/25/20/20/15/15/10/10). Increase the weight with each rep interval. On the last set, drop the weight way down and perform 25-30 reps.

Concept 2 Rower - 3200-m for time. Just to shake things up a bit I hopped on the rower for 2 miles. This will hopefully help my legs recover a little faster, plus HIIT cardio is always a good thing.