I'm older, now how do I diet - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > In Depth Nutrition

Notices

Old 01-01-2014, 05:33 AM
Krog should change his/her status!
Rookie

Default I'm older, now how do I diet

I haven't posted here for probably 8 years. I learned a lot of information here and I used it to lose all my weight but now I'm turning 36 and the game is changing. I'm having big issues eating clean, my hunger pangs are extreme. If I don't take in a large amount of calories I feel sick to my stomach, light headed and dizzy. I'm trying caffeine, and eating often but I can't seem to trick my body into thinking it's getting enough calories. Now for the big issue, if I took in too many calories before I would just do more exercise and burn the excess off. But now my shoulder, back and knees are shot. I can do light activity just fine but even something as simple as pushups or situps I can't do many of, the muscle doesn't get tired the joints do. I need some good way to trick my body into not wanting so many calories. Anyone else have this problem or have some suggestions? Thanks
Old 01-02-2014, 03:09 AM
Gregsimo is on a one way road to mass gaining
Middleweight

Main thing would be to look at eating foods with a high satiety. These are pulses, grains, vegetables basically any food high in fibre. Also what will help is a protein source with each meal. One meal that always fills me up well is an omellete with a sweet potato. Or whole wheat pasta.
If you feel dizzy etc despite eating well, see your physician. Coukd be many causes ranging from low blood pressure, stress, to an overactive thyroid. Get it checked out.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:38 PM
Gibbster is piling on the weights!
Light-Heavyweight

High 5 to the 36 year olds!!

I did a program last year with Skip La Cour and probably the best thing I learned from him, was too many people don't actually KNOW their maintenance level because they've never given it a proper chance to be determined.

Try this:

Go to 3000 cals and stay there for 2 solid weeks and see what your body is doing with it.
As long as you're eating clean, you shouldn't gain any fat and for me, I was actually able to add more calories for several weeks while dropping bodyfat.

It reminds me of one cut I did several years ago. I had stalled big time and was deciding to give up on it. I added 1000 cals a day figuring I was going to go back to maintenance and I started dropping weight like crazy!

I too have issues with my joints. I find a Glucosamine/Chondroiten/MSM combo twice a day and Fish Oil 3 times a day help me immensely. So much so that my shoulders hardly ever bother me anymore (and I was ready to go in for surgery 2 years ago)
Running 5x5 to start light bulk.

You are born frail & weak, you die frail & weak..... what you look like in between is up to you.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:29 AM
Algavinn is transforming myself and others into avatars of health.
Middleweight

The way you describe it it most sounds like there are some imbalances that may be causing problems in your joints, or there is just general instability and lack of strength in your joint structures. I have some 60 year old clients rocking some pretty good weights without a problem. There are some changes as we get older but honestly 36 is fairly young to experience these. Typically what I tell my clients is that getting older mostly means you've just had more time for things to go wrong and wear down, not that getting old has as many actual effects based on age itself. What have you been doing as a job for the last several years? What kind of activity and exercise? What causes additional joint discomfort or pain, and can you describe the discomfort/pain/fatigue you experience?

"We must not forget that even in the most perverted and cruel human being, as long as he is human, a small grain of love and compassion exists that will make him, one day, a Buddha." -Dalai Lama

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 02-21-2014, 02:36 AM
rickck48 is tryin harder!
Middleweight

What about the number of meals each day? Have you tried like 6 small meals a day to keep hunger down but eat protein and drink a lot of water. Please understand I still a novice somewhat as I am ISSA certified PT. I also took their Nutrition program also but I do not like to set a meal for anyone if I have not seen them. Best of luck my brother. RTR!

Goal: NOT there Yet, But haven't quit either!

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!