General Questions - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 09-24-2013, 07:28 PM
Qester is looking forward to his cardio session tommorow
Light-Heavyweight

Default General Questions

Hello everyone I am just returning to the fitness world and now that I am incredibly out of shape and overweight I have some questions that I had previously overlooked

If you could please provide me rationales for why to do this a certain way it would be greatly appreciated

- Should someone do cardio before or after weights? Does the order depend on your goals?
- should cardio and weights be done on seperate days? I am time constrained and fitting things in together may be better for my schedule
- as I have a focus on getting healthy and losing weight should I still consume post workout sugars? On weight days? On cardio das?
- which type of cardio should I do? Does it differ if I do weights and cardio se day?
- what is the maximum time I should spend in the gym? Just weights? Just cardio? Combined?

Thanks everyone!

"Obstacles are those frightening things that become visible when we take our eyes off our goals."
Henry Ford
Old 09-24-2013, 08:07 PM
arian11 is 500 deadlift achieved, time for a 500 squat!
Light-Heavyweight

-The research shows that cardio blunts strength for about 24 hours. So do your cardio after training or on separate days, if possible. If not, then don't worry and just get the work in.
-Your schedule and life comes first. Fit it in where you can.
-Losing weight is mostly a matter of calories in vs calories out. Don't worry so much to begin with about all the little things like nutrient timing and anabolic windows. Just start with eating the number of calories you need to lose weight and hitting the macros you need to hold on or build muscle mass.
-Once again, don't major in the minors. Actually doing cardio is the most important thing. Find what you enjoy most since you'll probably stick to it. Find some thing friends or family are doing and do it with them. You are just getting back into things, chase progress not perfection.
-Once again, not that important to begin with. What is more important is that you are consistently weight training and doing cardio.

"Technique is always the first place to begin when striving to improve at a specific skill."
My YouTube Page
Old 01-23-2014, 03:44 AM
biglifter56 should change his/her status!
Lightweight

So, it seems like your primary goal is to lose body fat with a secondary goal of gaining lean muscle.

- Generally it's recommended to do cardio after a workout. The reason is that you'll use up a good amount of your glycogen storages(your body converts carbohydrates into glycogen and stores them in your muscles for energy) during your workout, then when you go to do cardio, your body will realize that it's out of glycogen storages and will go to it's next energy source, namely body fat. This will result in fat loss. A secondary reason, which I don't have data to back up but just personal experience, is that when I do cardio before my workout, I feel like the lower glycogen levels really lowers my energy levels and I'm unable to have as intense of a workout as I'd like.

- They can be done on both days. Just balance your time as well as you can. Some days I don't do any cardio, some days I get a lot in. I'd lean more towards getting the weights in as the more lean muscle you build, the faster your metabolism will get, and in the long run, that will result in more fat loss while your not in the gym.

-I'd recommend the sugars only immediately after your workout session. Insulin spikes improve protein synthesis which is key for recovery and growth. After cardio only days, your best bet is probably a low glycemic carb meal like oatmeal/quinoa/brown rice and some lean protein.

-Personal preference is usually fine here. I'm a bigger guy and personally the elliptical, walking on a treadmill, or stair master work well for me. No knee pains or joint trouble there.

-Totally up to you. I happen to enjoy it in the gym so I usually spend up to 2 hours or more. My workouts usually go 90 min.
6/18=228

Bulking till April.

Goals Get up to 240 by April
Cut to ~10%BF by july
Dont get hurt