Weight loss question - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > In Depth Nutrition

Notices

Old 07-19-2013, 03:07 AM
shtanga should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Weight loss question

I have been trying to she'd some pounds. I have worked out for years. I weigh 281 lbs, I am not grossly fat, I am a big person, have a good bit of muscle mass and only carry fat around my waist, for the most part. I have been eating 2500 calories a day 50% carb 30% protein and 20% fat. I lost less than a pound this past week. That is with three weight lifting sessions and 5 cardio sessions. Trying to figure if I should add or cut calories. One sight said I should be eating 3500 calories to cut. Could it be that I am at too much of a calorie deficit.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:24 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

How long have you been eating 2500 calories?

I ask because metabolism isn't static, it will adjust to what you are eating. Your body wants to maintain homeostasis.

A few suggestions:

1. Without changing your calorie total, shift macros. 30% protein comes to 187.5 grams. Typically, protein should be at least 1 gram per pound of lean mass. If you are 25% BF (Hypothetical), that would mean 210 lean pounds. I would bump up the protein at least 25 grams (if not more) and bump carbs down by the same amount. That shift might help get things moving in the right direction.

2. Are you drinking enough? Water assists many metabolic functions. And I find when I am dieting I need even more because your body can draw water from food and when you are dieting obviously you are taking in less food. I would drink at least 1 gallon per day.

3. Consider ditching one of the cardio days and doing another resistance training day, so you would have 4 and 4 instead of 3 and 5. Weight training is great for long term fat loss because building lean muscle increases metabolism which means you are burning more calories on a daily basic, not just when you are doing "cardio".

Let me know if you have any questions.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 07-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Middleweight

Thanks. I am def. missing it on water consumption. I am going to try re arranging macros also. I prob drink too much coffee also which works against hydration.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shtanga View Post
Thanks. I am def. missing it on water consumption. I am going to try re arranging macros also. I prob drink too much coffee also which works against hydration.
Report back in a week or two with your status.

Good luck!

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
Old 07-19-2013, 05:53 PM
Middleweight

sure will.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:41 AM
Adwerd should change his/her status!
Stranger

Losing weight should involve a combination of healthier eating, exercise and a healthier lifestyle while also ensuring that both body & mind maintain a positive attitude. You need healthy diet and quality workout for weight loss.
USA, 60102-5917
PHONE# (224) 678-9060

Last edited by Adwerd; 02-08-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Middleweight

Adjusted carbs to 40% added a gallon of water a day and dropped 3.6 lbs over the last 2 weeks. I would like to see more, but I guess that is a healthy rate 😄
Old 08-11-2013, 02:26 AM
rickck48 is tryin harder!
Middleweight

Hey congrats on the lbs. lost. Now it seems you are on the right track. Good luck in having more good reports. Lift my friend. God Bless!

Goal: NOT there Yet, But haven't quit either!

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Old 08-11-2013, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shtanga View Post
Adjusted carbs to 40% added a gallon of water a day and dropped 3.6 lbs over the last 2 weeks. I would like to see more, but I guess that is a healthy rate 😄
That's a great rate, very manageable!

Great work!

Old 08-19-2013, 10:03 AM
usplabs should change his/her status!
Stranger

The key to weight lose is to burn more calories, then what you take. You need to have a balanced diet along with a routine workout plan. If you want a quick and easy weight lose solution, then you can go for some thermogenic supplement Such as http://usplabsdirect.com/oxyelite-pr...mo-powder.html. It is a thermogenic fat burner that produces heat and burn more calorie even for little physical activities. That means, even if you do little or moderate workout, you get result as if you are doing an intense workout. It suppresses you appetite and provide you with the energy that you need during your workout and other every day activities.