Back from Hibernation and Lost! - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 07-08-2013, 08:04 PM
dtg should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Back from Hibernation and Lost!

Hello fellow ABC members. I've been out of the ring for a long while and now I'm trying to get back to it but as the title says, I'm lost.

I'm 39 now and my goal is to dramatically improve my shape as well as my overall health by my 40th birthday in May 2014.... so time is on my side but I want to ask for your help on how to get started (diet and workout).

Here are my current numbers:

5'8"
180lbs
22% bf (calipers)
Belly (circumference at navel) 34"
Cholesterol is a whopping 250

My goal for my 40th birthday is to be sub 10% bf and let the weight work itself out as that is not my concern. I also believe that my belly would probably drop to 30" or 31" at that bf% (based on prior experience).

I need to know how to start in terms of diet, workouts, cardio, etc.

I've found that if I'm out for a while and I start back too quickly (dieting or workouts), I tend to overdo it and I either get injured or tired out and I end up resting again.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Working hard to get back in shape
Old 07-09-2013, 06:31 AM
Ratcat is lifting heavy in less time.
Light-Heavyweight

First you must eat breakfast and eat meals every 3 to 4 hours. Cut out all sugar except for your pwo shake. I like to lift heavy but I limit my workouts to 30 minutes. I split my workouts into body parts. Its tempting to do too much but limit your time to 30 minutes and that includes a 10 minute warmup. I know I can't do a good leg workout in 30 minutes so I split legs into 2 days. This is what I am trying atm. Since my cancer (5 years ago) I don't heal so quick and I get tired easily.Its frustrating and I want to do much more but I feel the need to be practical and I am still enjoying the rewards. I've just got to be clever about it. Eat a meal before you workout things will be better.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Do you have a more specific question or questions dtg?
Welcome back and good luck.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 07-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratcat View Post
First you must eat breakfast and eat meals every 3 to 4 hours. Cut out all sugar except for your pwo shake. I like to lift heavy but I limit my workouts to 30 minutes. I split my workouts into body parts. Its tempting to do too much but limit your time to 30 minutes and that includes a 10 minute warmup. I know I can't do a good leg workout in 30 minutes so I split legs into 2 days. This is what I am trying atm. Since my cancer (5 years ago) I don't heal so quick and I get tired easily.Its frustrating and I want to do much more but I feel the need to be practical and I am still enjoying the rewards. I've just got to be clever about it. Eat a meal before you workout things will be better.
I commend you for fighting back and thank you for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander
Do you have a more specific question or questions dtg?
Welcome back and good luck.
Thanks for the welcome back. Yes, I have some specific questions:

1) Should I be counting calories now or should I just eliminate junk and watch portion size?
2) I have done well in the past with only 3-4 meals a day (including PWO); is this OK or do I have to move to 6-7 meals?
3) Do I need to start off with twice daily workout with cardio AM and weights PM or can I just start off with once a day and rotate?
4) What workout do you recommend at this time? By this I am referring to the split, rep range, etc.

Thank you.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtg View Post
Thanks for the welcome back. Yes, I have some specific questions:

1) Should I be counting calories now or should I just eliminate junk and watch portion size?
2) I have done well in the past with only 3-4 meals a day (including PWO); is this OK or do I have to move to 6-7 meals?
3) Do I need to start off with twice daily workout with cardio AM and weights PM or can I just start off with once a day and rotate?
4) What workout do you recommend at this time? By this I am referring to the split, rep range, etc.
1) Both. : )
You want to have an idea of how much carbs/fat/protein you are taking in so you can make adjustments as your weight loss progresses or stalls.

Naturally, eliminating junk is the first step as is increasing water intake.

2) 3 to 4 meals is fine. The best meal plan is one that you can stick to and allows you to eat healthy foods and feel satiated.

3) No, when losing weight you want to MILK each step for all it's worth.
Example:
If you are used to working out twice a week and eating 3500 calories.
First step may be to drop to 3000 calories a day and still workout twice per week. Why play all your cards right away? You need to have some tricks up your sleeve.

Alternate increasing activity with decreasing carbs/fat (but mostly carbs).

With the above example, when fat loss stalls, you may add in a third day of working out. Stick with that until fat loss stalls again. Then cut calories by several hundred per day. It is an ongoing tweaking process.

4) As you can see from my answer to #3, the answer to this question is highly dependent on what you have been doing previously.

However, in terms of ideal, you want to make sure you include some heavy lifting as that gives your body the stimulous to keep muscle. When you are in a caloric deficit, your body wants to get rid of excess of all forms, that includeds fat and muscle. Therefore, heavy lifting is VERY important.

I would definitely include at least one basic lift each workout (squat, deadlift, press, row) and do 3 to 5 sets in the 3 to 6 rep range.

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
Old 07-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
1) Both. : )
You want to have an idea of how much carbs/fat/protein you are taking in so you can make adjustments as your weight loss progresses or stalls.

Naturally, eliminating junk is the first step as is increasing water intake.

2) 3 to 4 meals is fine. The best meal plan is one that you can stick to and allows you to eat healthy foods and feel satiated.

3) No, when losing weight you want to MILK each step for all it's worth.
Example:
If you are used to working out twice a week and eating 3500 calories.
First step may be to drop to 3000 calories a day and still workout twice per week. Why play all your cards right away? You need to have some tricks up your sleeve.

Alternate increasing activity with decreasing carbs/fat (but mostly carbs).

With the above example, when fat loss stalls, you may add in a third day of working out. Stick with that until fat loss stalls again. Then cut calories by several hundred per day. It is an ongoing tweaking process.

4) As you can see from my answer to #3, the answer to this question is highly dependent on what you have been doing previously.

However, in terms of ideal, you want to make sure you include some heavy lifting as that gives your body the stimulous to keep muscle. When you are in a caloric deficit, your body wants to get rid of excess of all forms, that includeds fat and muscle. Therefore, heavy lifting is VERY important.

I would definitely include at least one basic lift each workout (squat, deadlift, press, row) and do 3 to 5 sets in the 3 to 6 rep range.
Thank you. I was actually planning to start off with a 3x per week 5x5 type workout. What I mean by "type" is that I will not exactly follow the 5x5 tonnage protocol and just select 3-4 exercises and do them 5x5 each workout. My cycle will probably look something like this:

Day 1: Squats, Weighted Pullups, BB Military Press, BB Bench
Day 2: Abs + either 15 mins HIIT or 30 mins moderate cardio
Day 3: Deadlifts, DB Shoulder Press, Seated Rows, BB Bicep Curls, Weighted Dips
Day 4: Abs + either 15 mins HIIT or 30 mins moderate cardio
Day 5: Leg Press, Inclined BB Press, Weighted Pullups, BB Upright Rows
Day 6: Complete Rest (as much as I can get with 3 small children at home!)
Day 7: Light recovery (maybe a very slow jog/walk for 30 minutes, or perhaps some yoga/stretching)

Would love to hear your feedback. Thanks.

Last edited by dtg; 07-09-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thank you. I was actually planning to start off with a 3x per week 5x5 type workout. What I mean by "type" is that I will not exactly follow the 5x5 tonnage protocol and just select 3-4 exercises and do them 5x5 each workout. My cycle will probably look something like this:

Day 1: Squats, Weighted Pullups, BB Military Press, BB Bench
Day 2: Abs + either 15 mins HIIT or 30 mins moderate cardio
Day 3: Deadlifts, DB Shoulder Press, Seated Rows, BB Bicep Curls, Weighted Dips
Day 4: Abs + either 15 mins HIIT or 30 mins moderate cardio
Day 5: Leg Press, Inclined BB Press, Weighted Pullups, BB Upright Rows
Day 6: Complete Rest (as much as I can get with 3 small children at home!)
Day 7: Light recovery (maybe a very slow jog/walk for 30 minutes, or perhaps some yoga/stretching)

Would love to hear your feedback. Thanks.
Cycle seems fine. But what were you doing previously? Is this a big change? If so, take that into consideration. Maybe you don't have to do 2 cardio/HIIT sessions just yet.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:21 PM
Lightweight

Quote:
Cycle seems fine. But what were you doing previously? Is this a big change? If so, take that into consideration. Maybe you don't have to do 2 cardio/HIIT sessions just yet.
I've done 5x5 in the past with very good results when I was bulking but never tried it for cutting. I do better with higher weight and lower reps when I'm dieting so I want to give it a try for cutting. In the past when cutting, I've done the 13wk program here and the 12wk program as well. As for cardio/HIIT, I actually enjoy it and this is much less than I normally would do... I normally would do a 5k run 4-5 times a week.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I've done 5x5 in the past with very good results when I was bulking but never tried it for cutting. I do better with higher weight and lower reps when I'm dieting so I want to give it a try for cutting. In the past when cutting, I've done the 13wk program here and the 12wk program as well. As for cardio/HIIT, I actually enjoy it and this is much less than I normally would do... I normally would do a 5k run 4-5 times a week.
Great, glad you are used to 5x5.

Definitely keep that in place for the cut. Some make the mistake of switching to higher reps exclusively. Higher reps have their place, but not at the expense of lower reps/heavier weight.

As you get further into a cut, depending on how serious you are, energy levels can be low, and it is actually much easier to lift heavy/low reps than to hit 10 or 12 rep sets. Trust me, I know from experience, the volume work is the first thing to go when you start to get really lean. It is just too draining.

I understand you enjoy cardio/HIIT, but still keep it minimal. Think of it as a tool, and only increase it when it isn't doing the trick anymore.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Lightweight

Quote:
Great, glad you are used to 5x5.

Definitely keep that in place for the cut. Some make the mistake of switching to higher reps exclusively. Higher reps have their place, but not at the expense of lower reps/heavier weight.

As you get further into a cut, depending on how serious you are, energy levels can be low, and it is actually much easier to lift heavy/low reps than to hit 10 or 12 rep sets. Trust me, I know from experience, the volume work is the first thing to go when you start to get really lean. It is just too draining.

I understand you enjoy cardio/HIIT, but still keep it minimal. Think of it as a tool, and only increase it when it isn't doing the trick anymore.
Thanks again for your continued feedback.

With regards to lifting heavy with lower reps, I absolutely share your experience in that I find it much easier to do heavy lifting with lower reps during a cut than the higher rep routine which I find very taxing on a low calorie diet.

With regards to cardio, I don't have much choice because I have high cholesterol and I need to keep my heart healthy as much as possible. My cholesterol is hereditary and at my best shape it is 180. Last time I checked it (3 months ago), it was 260 so I have to be serious about it.