Strong Lifts 5x5 Problem - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 08-07-2013, 11:06 PM
dannyjerome0 should change his/her status!

Default Strong Lifts 5x5 Problem

Hey guys. I've been weight training on and off for years. Last year, I went through a lot of stressful events, so my training was minimal. This year, starting in March, I did a long program designed to build lean muscle and get into shape. It definitely worked. I'm much more fit, and my six pack came out of nowhere. However, now I'm weaker than ever! Last week, I started doing strong lifts 5x5. I started out on the bench press, did 5 sets of 5 reps at 185lbs. It was very hard, but I barely got it. The other exercises were a bit easier. I was VERY sore for the next few days. Today (4 days later), I tried to do the same routine with the same weight, and FAILED after 4 reps on the 4th set. How am I getting WEAKER? I literally ate nothing but carbs and protein. I actually GAINED 4 pounds since my last workout, so I really expected to crush the bench press this time around. It seems that I can no longer do anything heavy at all anymore. My all-time bench press max is 260, and that was about 3 years ago.
Height: 5'7"
Estimated body fat: 10%
Current fitness goal: Bulking
Old 08-08-2013, 04:12 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

With a 5x5 program you need to pick a weight that you can dominate for the 5 sets of 5.

Further, most 5x5 programs ramp up, meaning you start lighter on the first set and add weight until the last set or two is challenging. (3x5 is usually straight sets though)

So in light of the first two recommendations, reduce the weight by a significant amount.

The fact that you were really sore 4 days later and couldn't even handle the same amount seems to indicate that you simply did too much too soon that your body wasn't ready for based on your previous routine.

Ease into the 5x5 routine, it may be frustrating, but for a few weeks go really light but train often. Maybe even every day, but using 50% of what you attempted. So instead of 185, go with 90 or 95. Then gradually work up the weight and of course, make sure you are eating and sleeping enough.

If you reduce the weight and ease into it, I believe you can experience a long period of steady linear progression and you will be quite happy with the results.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 08-08-2013, 07:10 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely drop down to maybe 155. At least that would be 6 workouts until I get back to 185 again. Even 135 I know I could rep at least 20 or 30 times (I was doing that in circuit training), so I think 155 should be a better starting point.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:19 PM
Jemimasmith should change his/her status!

now follow the suggestion and go great with your training through regular workout ..

Last edited by Jemimasmith; 10-03-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:13 AM
arian11 is 500 deadlift achieved, time for a 500 squat!
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
With a 5x5 program you need to pick a weight that you can dominate for the 5 sets of 5.

Further, most 5x5 programs ramp up, meaning you start lighter on the first set and add weight until the last set or two is challenging. (3x5 is usually straight sets though)

So in light of the first two recommendations, reduce the weight by a significant amount.

The fact that you were really sore 4 days later and couldn't even handle the same amount seems to indicate that you simply did too much too soon that your body wasn't ready for based on your previous routine.

Ease into the 5x5 routine, it may be frustrating, but for a few weeks go really light but train often. Maybe even every day, but using 50% of what you attempted. So instead of 185, go with 90 or 95. Then gradually work up the weight and of course, make sure you are eating and sleeping enough.

If you reduce the weight and ease into it, I believe you can experience a long period of steady linear progression and you will be quite happy with the results.
This is a very intelligent post.

As mentioned, you failed because you started too heavy. You need to build up to your best 5x5 and then continue to progress past it for as many weeks as you can. Ramping sets is a good idea and will be beneficial for progressing as well. Remember, progress is progress. Even if you end up hitting the same weight for your 5th set but all your ramping up sets are 5 lbs more than last session, then you have gotten stronger.

So drop that weight down and maybe start off with 155x5 as your 5th set with lighter weights working up. By week 3 you will be past where you are now and should be able to continue past that and blast through some plateaus.

Aside from carbs, make sure you are getting enough fats and proteins as well. Protein will help in recovery and building muscle. And fats will keep your joints healthy since you are going to be pushing some big weights.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress!

"Technique is always the first place to begin when striving to improve at a specific skill."
My YouTube Page
Old 08-19-2013, 08:53 AM
usplabs should change his/her status!
Stranger

I am currently doing this 5×5 workout plan and I am getting great results and absurd gains. Before doing this, I used to look weak and scrawny weak, but now I look more filled out and actually have mass to fill out my frame. I personally feel it is superb for a beginner as it builds strength and size. However, for someone who has been in the game a long time on the squat and dead lift, I feel that it does not help gain strength because the volume is too high and the weight has to be a little lower. One advice from my side, When beginners are in a process of learning a new lift, they require to do a lot of perfect repetitions in order to not only learn, but ingrain excellent technique. The 5X5 ramp/ascending pyramid is a great way to do with this and have often used it to teach new movements.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usplabs View Post
I am currently doing this 5×5 workout plan and I am getting great results and absurd gains. Before doing this, I used to look weak and scrawny weak, but now I look more filled out and actually have mass to fill out my frame. I personally feel it is superb for a beginner as it builds strength and size. However, for someone who has been in the game a long time on the squat and dead lift, I feel that it does not help gain strength because the volume is too high and the weight has to be a little lower. One advice from my side, When beginners are in a process of learning a new lift, they require to do a lot of perfect repetitions in order to not only learn, but ingrain excellent technique. The 5X5 ramp/ascending pyramid is a great way to do with this and have often used it to teach new movements.

Glad to hear it! I started also logging my food intake with myfitnesspal. Apparently, I'm not getting even half the amount of protein I need! So, that might be a huge part of my problem. However, I did drop the weights down and I am sore for a day tops now. The weight is going up 5 lbs. every workout. Soon, I'll be back to 185 and I feel like I can crush it.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:13 PM
ruelisla should change his/her status!
Stranger

when did you start working out again.

The reason why you feel weak because you just started working out gain. when you stop training your lifts will also go back to zero.

So when you start again start in lighter weight and increase the weight gradually until you reach again to your target weight.
Check the video by clicking here ===> http://tinyurl.com/kromgsv