Over-reaching experience anyone?? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 12-16-2012, 01:19 AM
mercsty should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Over-reaching experience anyone??

Of recent, I've been researching a lot about the benefits of using overreaching to rapidly increase strength and growth. its something that Layne Norton (professional natural body builder, power lifter and has phd in nutrition science) and Dr. Mike Zourdos seem to think is the pinnacle of all training programs and i was just wondering if there's anybody out there who has done this style of training before and could share the results that they have had? if so please mention how your training program was conducted.

Just in case anyone's done an overreaching cycle with out knowing what it was actually called and still has records of it, overreaching is a period of over training (to much training that your body cant adapt to) for a couple of weeks followed by a taper period (under-training) to actualize the gains from the over-training part of the cycle.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:42 PM
Charles Izzo should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

I did it for years and it becomes instinctual. I wouldn't know too much what to say about it except you have to train brutally hard if you want to gain and be the strongest you can, but you can't do it forever. You'll have times in which you'll naturally want to reduce the volume. As an example, when I was training for powerlifting competitions, as I'd approach closer to a competition, I'd always reduce the volume and number of assistance exercises and increase the weight on the bar instead.

Its also worth noting that I don't think that overtraining should actually be the goal. Chronic overtraining can happen if you train to hard anyways. So because of that, it is my belief that you should train as hard as you can and put the amount of work in that is necessary to achieve your goals, then back off on the volume when necessary.

And that brings me to the topic of the long term. You'll notice that competitive athletes will sometimes train harder than ever when competing and do what ever is necessary to be the best they can, but the reality is that training like that isn't healthy. If you're a regular guy who wants to be healthy and continue to workout for decades until they are old, you have to learn to pace yourself. So what it really all just depends on is what your goals are, competition or not.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:16 AM
Eastem33 should change his/her status!
Stranger

Its also important to note that I don't think that over training should actually be the objective. Serious over training can occur if you practice to difficult anyways. So because of that, it is my perception that you should practice as difficult as you can and put the perform in that is necessary to accomplish your objectives, then returning off on the quantity when necessary.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:25 AM
mercsty should change his/her status!
Stranger

Thanks for the replies, you both had some valid points that have got me thinking, cheers
Old 04-09-2013, 03:01 AM
Jorgan VonStrangle is getting ready for something big
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercsty View Post
Of recent, I've been researching a lot about the benefits of using overreaching to rapidly increase strength and growth. its something that Layne Norton (professional natural body builder, power lifter and has phd in nutrition science) and Dr. Mike Zourdos seem to think is the pinnacle of all training programs and i was just wondering if there's anybody out there who has done this style of training before and could share the results that they have had? if so please mention how your training program was conducted.

Just in case anyone's done an overreaching cycle with out knowing what it was actually called and still has records of it, overreaching is a period of over training (to much training that your body cant adapt to) for a couple of weeks followed by a taper period (under-training) to actualize the gains from the over-training part of the cycle.
over reaching and over training are VASTLY different. over reaching creates fatigue, restlessness and other negative effects for a SHORT period of time, a period of time short enough to recover from and supercompensate. over training lasts for months with no positives to take away. Over reaching operates under the principle of the general adaptation syndrome and is generally only recommended to advanced athletes which have trouble making progress when training linearly. in over reaching, you beat the hell out of yourself for 1-2 weeks, then taper for 1-2 weeks, which, in theory, brings you back to a level greater than that which you started.

University of Tampa. Tampa, FL