Tittle to be determined - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 12-13-2014, 03:44 AM
TheMachine should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Tittle to be determined

About Me: Hey guys, I'm a poker professional that stumbled on this site while researching periodization. A lot of what I do in poker to work on my poker strategy is trying to learn Game Theory Optimal concepts and then applying them to my game. GTO exists in every strategy game, and it basically means the strategy that yields the highest possible outcome if your opponent chooses the best possible counter strategy. I don't want to bore you guys with poker as this is not what's it about so feel free to ask questions if you are more curious.

Work out history: I found working out at about the age of 16 to 17. I also was always very active with soccer. Since then I have started and quit about 5 or 6 different times each time learning what doesn't work for me. My best results were during one of the college semesters at about the age of 20 where I was at 5'8 165lbs, and I had my all time high during that time in all of the lifts. I'm a bit of an extreme person, if I'm really passionate about something I just give it my all. However, at that time I wasn't as educated about working out as I'm now and just simply caused myself to burn out, stop enjoying working out, I slowly started missing work outs and doing more and more partying. I also pulled my right bicep at the time and it all just collapsed. Since then, I have tried to get back to that and failed a few times due to fear of failure, anxiety or just not having the right approach in general. I went through some stretches where I would like work out for a month and neglect poker, then be like well that's my job then reverse and I didn't make progress with either. I then decided to create a schedule for myself, do a lot of research, figure out exactly what it is that has been holding me back and set aside time for certain activities.

Goals w/ Working Out: They are fairly simple actually. I want to achieve a better physique while maintaining good posture and structure. I have also wanted to always cross that 1,000 mark. The closest I got was DL-365, Squats- 335, Bench 235. The first two have always been my favorite exercises and I focused on them a lot. I'm currently 5'8 150lbs I want to get to 165-170 over the next 1 to 1.5 years.

PLan to achieve: As of right now, I have set my work out days to Monday-Legs, Tuesday- Push, Thursday- Pull, Friday-shoulders, traps. I have spent a bit of time coming up with a nutrition shopping list and it actually looks really similar to the one that's posted on this site. I do stretching before I go to the gym, followed by 5-10 mins on stair climber on low speed, and doing warm up sets as well so I take that pretty seriously as well. The toughest part for me is the eating, I have a very fast metabolism and it's a struggle for me to eat although I do enjoy chicken, steak, sushi, fish, shrimp etc. I'm slowly working on increasing my calories. I try to have nuts (almonds, walnuts etc) on my desk to help with the calories.

Misc: I realize I'm not as passionate as some of you about working out as it's not my number one priority or my job, but my personality and background has me really appreciate and respect what a lot of you guys do here. That's why I'm here . I'm hoping to create some new friendships, learn, stay on the right path, and also share any information I can with you guys as well.

Summary: 5'8 150lb skinny poker pro trying to become a 165-170lb man. I will mainly post work out logs and make updates about where I'm at with my goals.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:47 PM
Obsidian is transforming Cohaagen barbell
Lightweight

Almonds, flavored almonds, walnuts, roasted peanuts, peanut butter, pistachios, pure coconut or coconut oil and olive oil are some of the fat sources that I used to help gain weight. Very calorie dense and convenient. I also eat a lot of dairy (whole milk, block cheese and greek yogurt) but high dairy diets are not the best choice for everyone.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:11 PM
Stranger

Entry #1 Hypertrophy Legs

Pre-workout: I did about 10 minutes on the foam roller and just body weight squats. I don't really have mobility problems and get fairly deep without a problem (twss), I do think I need to practice my breathing during the squat.

Workout:
Squats 6 x 8-10 x 155
Leg press with pause at the bottom: 4x 8-10 x 6 plates total
One legged hamstring curls: 4x10 w each leg x 50 on each side
Extensions 3x10 x 120
Hip adductors and abductor? 2x8-10x90
Bicep Curls 3x10x50.

Comments: I decide to switch to one leg hamstring curls since when I got my foam roller, I could tell a pretty big difference in tightness in the leg vs right. I'm left footed (soccer) and left handed. I wanted to do one leg extensions as well but some guy was literally on it for like 30 minutes. I decided to add little bicep work at the end on a hypertrophy day as that's my weakest muscle, and there is a pretty big difference between my left and my right, tore my right a while ago so I'm going to slowly work on bringing it up.

Post workout: instantly ate one banana followed by glass of milk with 1 scoop of protein + 1 tbsp of creatine. The supplements I have right now are protein (body logix) 2 flavors vanilla and chocolate, not sure which I like best. Then we have no flavor ON creatine, to be honest it sucks, I don't really care that it has no flavor but I literally downed the glass right after mixing it and there was creatine on the bottom already. Then we ON glutamine, GNC triflex for joint mobility and flexibility got it after that injury, I can't really tell if it's doing anything for me and of course Vitamin C. My roommate left some caffeine caps as well which I haven't tried but I'm tempted to.

Anyway I plan on going 2:1:1 Hypertrophy:Power:strength and just eating a ton of food. On hypertrophy days I will do some extra stuff to focus on weak muscles. As of right now I'm not doing anything specific for the abs as I find the squats and deadlifts as well as other exercises work the core quite a bit and I don't care about having a 6 pack either. I don't remember where but I read that higher fat level % is actually better for lifting more weight and will protect your body more, which makes sense to me. Also I was a bit off, I first started this challenge with about 145lbs not 150. I'm not sure what my body fat % is, last time I checked was one of those automated squeeze the handles fat level calculator (no idea how that works) and it said I had 10% body fat that was when I weighed 155ish as well. I imagine I'm around that range right now as well but trying really hard to get it up (twss).

twss-that's what she said for those of you who don't know. I couldn't help myself .

Last edited by TheMachine; 12-15-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:24 PM
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
Almonds, flavored almonds, walnuts, roasted peanuts, peanut butter, pistachios, pure coconut or coconut oil and olive oil are some of the fat sources that I used to help gain weight. Very calorie dense and convenient. I also eat a lot of dairy (whole milk, block cheese and greek yogurt) but high dairy diets are not the best choice for everyone.
Yes sir, I'm already using all of those. I chose to go with 2% fat milk or no fat milk as I like the taste a little better when mixed with protein and that's my go to after work out. I think I have figured out exactly what it is I need to eat, it's just a matter of being disciplined and getting the food into my body.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Stranger

Entry #2 Power Push

Pre- The usual.

Workout:
Wide grip Bench press 6x6x135
Dips 6x6xbody weight. I will start adding weight to that.
Incline DB press 4x8x45 for 2 sets x40 for last 2.
Push ups 2x6

Comments: I'm not sure if I was resting enough, the plan going in was to rest 1-2 minutes, I think I may have rested around 1 min and the last sets I wasn't pushing the weight fast enough. The rep range I'm not sure, I went with 6. I had a way bigger pump in my right pec than my left, I think the reason for that is the right side had to try to work way harder even though I was trying my best to apply force evenly.

Post: Did a banana and gatorade for a carb and sugar spike. I will do a protein shake here in 10-15 mins as well. I will stop making pre and post comments since it's going to be pretty much same every time.

The eating part is slowly starting to improve and become easier, the more I work out, the more hungry I feel. I feel great but this month I have a lot of stuff going on that I need to take care of that's job related so stress level is somewhat high as well. Then I will be gone for about a week and have no gym access which is really annoying when you get into a rhythm. I think I will bring my foam roller and just do body weight stuff and focus on stretching and stuff.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:08 AM
Stranger

Entry #3 Strength Pull

Workout:
Deadlifts 6x3x275
Close grip rows 4x5x80 on each side
Wide grip pull downs 4x4x135

Comments: The deadlifts felt quite good. I did them with no belt and no chalk, on the 4th set during one of the reps I was losing my grip a little bit. I have wraps and chalk but going to look for a decent belt to buy. Any suggestions? I could tell on my 6th set during one of my reps I didn't feel as tight and my form was bad. I think the plan is to move up either 5lbs or 10lbs each week and do this for 8 weeks and then taper. I think for power I will start with 2 plates and for hypertrophy I will do 185? The pull downs felt pretty hard as well.

Nutrition has been on point, I played around with few calculators and I need about 3.1-3.2k calories per day in order to gain 1lb per week, I think I have been exceeding that on most days. I'm not going to have gym access for about a week during x-mas time, it's a bit upsetting because I'm in a really nice rhythm right now. I think I will just do body weight stuff and just focus on stretching and foam rolling.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:11 AM
Stranger

Entry #4 Hypertrophy Shoulders

Workout:
not sure wtf these are called but 2 handed overhead push with a bar in the corner. I will have to figure out the name.
exercise 1 6x10
db press 4x10x35
lateral and front raises 4x10
seated shrugs 5x8-10x70 on each side.
dips 4 or 5 sets x didn't count reps varied around 6-12 I would say. I just wanted to get a little extra tricep work in.
one arm tricep extensions w a cable 3x12.5 just did these really slow and controlled.

Comments: The first exercise which I don't know the name for yet, basically some kind of a modification to the barbell overhead press that reduces the pressure on the joints and elbows and puts them in a better position so you can just focus on the actual overhead pushing movement. I will pm a mod and ask if I can post the vid to where I learned it first. It felt a bit awkward getting used to that but I think I will stick to that and also do it one handed as well. I could quickly tell my left side is significantly stronger than my right when doing lateral raises so I need to strengthen righty.

I may have also tweaked a muscle in my traps/neck/shoulder are being stupid and attempting to shrug 2 plates not having an idea of whether I could handle it or not, because there was a hot girl near by. Idiot! I then obv took off the 45 and switched it to a 25. Nothing major but I think it happened on the lift off, unless I did it on the 2 exercises before, whatever it will be fine.