Creating a Power training program for firefighters - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 12-11-2012, 10:22 PM
Algavinn is transforming myself and others into avatars of health.
Middleweight

Default Creating a Power training program for firefighters

I am on my way to being a personal trainer through NPTI and NASM, and have been working on building my different potential demographics, seminars, group classes, and so on. Through this process, one day on the way home from work, I spotted in a local firehouse the huge weight setup they have in one of the engine bays, and thought...I wonder if they already have a trainer, program, and what use they actually get out of that equipment. On top of working with people who truly need help escaping the grasp of diabetes, heart disease, and the ails of modern work and home lifestyle, I do love the idea of helping our men in red have a better chance at safely doing their job and saving lives.

So, I'm starting to contact firefighters for their input in preparing a plan before actually approaching stations and seeing what their setup is and if they would like a trainer on the cheap (I'll be donating some time and charging low rates to firefighters). I'm guessing that beyond general fitness and establishing tensegrity to minimize injuries, they would most likely be interested in power training, with some degrees of absolute strength, for those emergency situations when they may have to move something off themselves, or someone else.

I certainly have some ideas, but I would love to get a mixture of input on: what actual goals firefighters might have as priorities, where to get the best resources on power training program building, and finally all of your direct thoughts on what you would do to improve someones ability to have power reserves in potentially emergency situations.

Cheers and thank you all for the input!

"We must not forget that even in the most perverted and cruel human being, as long as he is human, a small grain of love and compassion exists that will make him, one day, a Buddha." -Dalai Lama

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 12-12-2012, 08:54 AM
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator

http://www.firerescue1.com/health/ar...-Firefighters/

great list of training directly for firefighters
Old 12-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Link is eating his greens
Light-Heavyweight

In all honesty Klosey that site is crap.... Those exercises are not the greatest and I dont see how they are related to any on the job skills besides the suitcase deadlift.

Im currently in the process of becoming a FF, and I find the best training is general strength training, with HIIT cardio and almost like a cross fit type training supplemented on various days.

If your becoming a personal trainer, I assume you can come up with your own program. Based on what I said, but then again thats my opinion of what I think is best and what works best for me.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:13 AM
Algavinn is transforming myself and others into avatars of health.
Middleweight

I can certainly come up with workouts, but as I have never personally created power specific workouts for myself, I wanted to see what the community thought on the matter. I'd be wanting this input anyway even if I had.

"We must not forget that even in the most perverted and cruel human being, as long as he is human, a small grain of love and compassion exists that will make him, one day, a Buddha." -Dalai Lama

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 12-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link View Post
In all honesty Klosey that site is crap.... Those exercises are not the greatest and I dont see how they are related to any on the job skills besides the suitcase deadlift.

Im currently in the process of becoming a FF, and I find the best training is general strength training, with HIIT cardio and almost like a cross fit type training supplemented on various days.

If your becoming a personal trainer, I assume you can come up with your own program. Based on what I said, but then again thats my opinion of what I think is best and what works best for me.
General strength.. funny thing is they use those exercises here too
Old 12-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Link is eating his greens
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by klosey View Post
General strength.. funny thing is they use those exercises here too
They use what exercises where?

Sure those exercises could be used, are they ideal? No
Old 12-19-2012, 06:07 PM
superbilt is getting stronger than ever
Super-Heavyweight

I think strongman training works great for firefighters. Anything that requires you to pick something heavy up and move with it will be helpful. Sandbag carries, sled pulls and farmers walks should be on the top of that list. They will help build strength and cardio.
Once I stick to the program I am going to get really strong.
NO LIMITS!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ironbilt727
Old 12-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link View Post
They use what exercises where?

Sure those exercises could be used, are they ideal? No
in the uk
Old 12-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Kenny Croxda should change his/her status!
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algavinn View Post
I'm guessing that beyond general fitness and establishing tensegrity to minimize injuries, they would most likely be interested in power training, with some degrees of absolute strength, for those emergency situations when they may have to move something off themselves, or someone else.

I certainly have some ideas, but I would love to get a mixture of input on: what actual goals firefighters might have as priorities, where to get the best resources on power training program building, and finally all of your direct thoughts on what you would do to improve someones ability to have power reserves in potentially emergency situations.
The Foundation of Power

The foundation of power and speed is built with increasing Limit Strength, your 1 Repetition Max.

Think of it like this, an athlete who can squat 400 lbs can move a 200 lb squat with more power than a athlete who squats 300 lbs.

Thus, initially to increase power, you need to increase strength.

"Lifting Heavy Weights Make You Muscle Bound"

There is some validity to that statement.

Research shows if all your training revolves around lifing heavy weight, your power and speed will decrease.

That because of the conversion of the "Explosive Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber" to "Strength Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber".

Intermediate and Advance Lifters Training Protocol

Once past the novice state, Limit Strength Training (increasing your 1 Repetition Max) alone will decrease your Power and Speed.

To maximize Power and/or Speed, Limit Strength must be combined with Power and/or Speed movements.

Conjugate Training

This simply means different types of strength training are employed in the same training program.

This method method provide a synergistic effect. One type of strengh training enhances the other.

Power Training

The Poster Children for Power Training are Olympic Lifters. They combine Limit Strength movements with Power and Speed exercises.

Training on Limit Strength (Squats, Bench Press, Deadlifts, etc) allows an athlete to increase Power.

Training Power exercises, such as Olympic movments allows you to increase your Limit Strength.

Power is the grease the allows you to slide through your sticking point in a Limit Strength movement.

Power allows you to generate momentum and slide through your sticking point.

Firefighters Training

Firefighter need more of a General Physical Preparedness Training: Strength, Power and most of all great Aerobic Conditioning.

Aerobic Conditioning

There is only so much oxgen in the tanks they wear. How long that tank last is dependent to a large extent on their VO2 Max.

The greater their VO2 Max, the longer their oxygen supply will last. Also, the greater they can maintain their work capacity.

So, what you want is a foundation that is built on first of all increasing their aerobic capacity along with increasing their strength and power.

With that in mind, Link stated it best, "...I find the best training is general strength training, with HIIT cardio and almost like a cross fit type training supplemented on various days."

Tabata Protocol

One the most brutal forms of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) it the Tabata Protocol.

The Tabata Protocol has demonstrated the ability to increase anaerobic and aerobic capacity at the SAME time.

The Tabata Protocol equates to, "Being able to have your cake and eat it." Which is an anomaly when it come to training.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited by Kenny Croxda; 12-23-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:18 AM
Eastem33 should change his/her status!
Stranger

Im currently in the procedure of becoming a FF, and I look for the best exercising is common weight exercising, with HIIT aerobic and almost like a mix fit kind exercising formulated on various times.