Making egg whites less disgusting... - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Bodybuilding Recipes

Notices

Old 05-12-2013, 08:26 PM
saltie is dreaming of a 1kg Florentine T-Bone
Stranger

Default Making egg whites less disgusting...

So, Today I made the move and bought a litre of pasteurised egg whites for the first time, 'cos this Italian diet (meaning the food here in Italy, not some kind of Soprano's cook book) is way too carb heavy and I'm finding it difficult to get enough protein from real food (can't shake all day long).

Recipe 1: Sunday "Brunch"

300 ml Albumo D'Uovo Pasteurised Egg Whites
1 tbsp Parmiggiano Reggiano (Paremsan Cheese - Grated)
1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Approx - Cal 217, Carbs 3, Fat 8, Protein 37 (courtesy of My Fitness Pal)

Step 1 - Put oil in non-stick pan, add egg whites and fry until cooked, adding parmesan cheese just before ready. Fold and try to stomach without puking.

This was just like eating a load of fried egg white (duh) and wasn't particularly palatable, but the cheese made it better. I know we have to suffer rank shakes or less-than-delicious stuff sometimes, but I'd appreciate some feedback on decent egg white recipes that a) are not 'cheesy scramble, bro' or b) are not 'whites and oats and cinnamon pancakes'...any real chefs out there with some tips?

Thanks,

Saltie
Old 05-13-2013, 01:47 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Help me understand, you don't have access to beef, chicken, tuna, etc?

Regarding the egg whites and making them tasty, maybe use a bit of butter instead of the olive oil?

I enjoy olive oil but I find on some foods it just does not taste well.

I also think eggs taste much better with the yolks. Any reason you are avoiding yolks?

Lots of good protein, healthy fats, and vitamins/minerals.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano

Last edited by Commander; 05-13-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Stranger

Hi Commander, thanks for the reply! Yes I have access to meat, but it's pretty expensive here (although good quality) and I was looking for a supplemental protein source on days when meat is not in huge supply (pasta days, which are all too frequent here in Italy). I'm not avoiding eggs altogether and often enjoy them whole, but my cholestrol is slightly high, so I fancied whites as a low fat, high protein alternative with some meals, although I realise that saturated fats are more of a problem than cholestrol directly. As for tuna, I'm taking a sabbatical from tinned tuna as I just ate too darn much of it and need to reset my taste buds. Turkey stir fry for lunch today and lean pork steaks for dinner tomorrow though.

On a side note, tonight my wife made Chinese rice porridge for dinner. I cooked up 300g of whites and chopped them into the porridge, enabling me to eat 90% of them without feeling too eggy. I might try using butter next time as I enjoy butter, but it's not really the oil that makes me gag, just eating a ton of egg white! If it all gets too eggy I might just switch back to a tin of Skipjack in Spring Water...

Cheers,

Saltie

Last edited by saltie; 05-13-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

I'm no doctor, but I wouldn't stress the cholesterol from eggs.

Dietary cholesterol intake doesn't impact cholesterol as much as you think. You can have bad cholesterol levels from eating lots of refined foods, lots of sugar and foods higher in saturated fats.

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights

Last edited by Commander; 05-13-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:06 PM
Stranger

Yeah I agree that cholestrol from food is not the major problem, but only recently have studies begun to prove this (check the British Heart Foundation website for details). Saturated fats (thanks for the butter advice lol, are you trying to kill me?) are much worse for your blood! Maybe I will toss in a yolk or two with my whites for a better mixture. Happy to discuss this kinda thing with some knowledgeable folk, thanks.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltie View Post
Saturated fats (thanks for the butter advice lol, are you trying to kill me?) are much worse for your blood!

Everything in moderation.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:40 AM
MikeB101 is motivated and dedicated
Stranger

Not sure if you figured out anything to make them taste a little better Saltie. But what I usually do is take 1-cup of liquid egg whites and crack 2-3 large eggs into a bowl, whip them up together. Spray the pan with a fat free canola oil, caramelize chopped onions, once the onions are cooked I throw the eggs on. Right before they are about done, I add garlic and herb by Misses Dash or just a little garlic powder. They taste great, and for a little extra flavoring I use 1 tablespoon of ketchup....hope this helps. Sorry to be the late response but I am a new member and just seeing this tonight. I don't have the exact macro's but if you like I will get them for you

Last edited by MikeB101; 06-04-2013 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Forgot to add a sentence.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Stranger

Default Sounds a little better than eggy scramble!

Hey Mike, thanks for the reply. I have been experimenting with adding two or three whole eggs to varying amounts of whites. I like the idea of caramelised onions, but I'd rather a well-chopped clove of garlic in with those onions than garlic powders (which taste more 'garlicky' to me). Try a little parmesan on yours and I think we're onto a winner!
Still faced with the problem of keeping down masses of egg however. Maybe a fritata with some potatoes, capsicum and a little tuna may be a good idea? Then you can also eat it cold!

The power of shared ideas!

Cheers, Saltie
Old 06-05-2013, 02:22 AM
MikeB101 is motivated and dedicated
Stranger

Not a problem at all, glad I could offer some idea's! I am going to try the parmesan cheese tomorrow morning with my eggs. Do you separate the egg and yolk or buy the whites in a container? I think tuna is a great idea to mix in with them, and eating them cold won't be an issue! Saves time and can even have them as a quick mid-day meal, great idea! There is a diner near me that makes a egg white omelet with chopped corned beef and add potatoes...delicious! just very pricey there so I treat myself every now and then.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:52 PM
Stranger

I've been buying liquid egg whites in a carton, but I guess separating them is just as good.