Advice: Returning After a Month Off - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 03-05-2013, 11:46 PM
TheProphecy is BACK!
Stranger

Default Advice: Returning After a Month Off

February was a difficult month for me as I dealt with illness and injury. Fortunately, I am now at 100% and ready to hit the gym this week. I'm almost sure that I lost strength, and I would like to know where to begin so I can progress to where I left off a month ago.

Just for an example, last month, I was pushing 100 lb dumbbells for incline, decline, flat bench press. If I were to attempt these same exercises this week, I am curious as to what weight to begin with and how much weight to add each week?

Any recommendations anyone has for me? Or should I just go in there with extreme intensity?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:42 AM
ecko31s is officially in full beast mode again
Bantamweight

I would just perform progressively heavier sets to see where my strength is at. I would just stop a predetermined number of reps each set until you reach the heaviest set and go to failure. Also, how many reps where you hitting with the 100lb dumbbells on each angle?
Ex.
Incline dumbbell Press 50x20, 60x15, 70x12, 80x12, 90x12, 100x14 failure
I wouldn't just jump straight to the 100lb dumbbells. Don't worry about strength, because if you did lose any it shouldn't be much and you'll gain it back quickly...
Old 03-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Only thing I would do differently than Ecko, would be that I would hit a light workout (or two) to get your body back into it after a full month off. After that, I would use his method. Otherwise, don't stress it, as Ecko mentioned, the strength will return quickly.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 03-18-2013, 02:40 PM
President Wilson is hard at work
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko31s View Post
I would just perform progressively heavier sets to see where my strength is at. I would just stop a predetermined number of reps each set until you reach the heaviest set and go to failure. Also, how many reps where you hitting with the 100lb dumbbells on each angle?
Ex.
Incline dumbbell Press 50x20, 60x15, 70x12, 80x12, 90x12, 100x14 failure
I wouldn't just jump straight to the 100lb dumbbells. Don't worry about strength, because if you did lose any it shouldn't be much and you'll gain it back quickly...
Agreed, great advice

About me --> http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/presidentprofile.html
Old 09-09-2013, 04:04 PM
ruelisla should change his/her status!
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProphecy View Post
February was a difficult month for me as I dealt with illness and injury. Fortunately, I am now at 100% and ready to hit the gym this week. I'm almost sure that I lost strength, and I would like to know where to begin so I can progress to where I left off a month ago.

Just for an example, last month, I was pushing 100 lb dumbbells for incline, decline, flat bench press. If I were to attempt these same exercises this week, I am curious as to what weight to begin with and how much weight to add each week?

Any recommendations anyone has for me? Or should I just go in there with extreme intensity?

Thanks in advance.
How long is your layoff working out?

If you layoff from workout for at least a month. you should start again to zero. If you lift 100 lbs on bench decrease it from 30 to 50 percent.

Start increasing weight slowly so you will not get injured and it will increase your strength along the way.
Check the video by clicking here ===> http://tinyurl.com/kromgsv