Wrist Pain - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Injury Analysis

Notices

Old 03-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Wombus123 is trying to figure all of this out!
Stranger

Default Wrist Pain

Hi all,

I have a sharp pain in my wrist right on the side below my pinky finger on my left hand. It feels like it is from that large tendon that connects to that knob in the bottom left most part of the bones in your hand (sorry, I do not know what all of that is called ).

I originally had this pain a lot when I played volleyball in high school due to the wrist snapping nature of both hitting and setting as well as my being in a strength training class and doing lifts that seemed to aggravate it. I have always assumed it is just tendonitis, considering the symptoms and other professional diagnosis. Since I hadn't played volleyball for a few months, the pain had dissipated.

Recently, though, since I started lifting more seriously, it has seem to come back. For the first two months I was pain free, but in the past week it has returned. It is primarily when I do pushing exercise because of the pressure and angle of my wrist during those exercises.

I stopped lifting for the past few days and the pain has already greatly decreased without ice or anything, but I am curious as to how I can work to prevent this from being a chronic problem. Is anyone familiar with this or something like it? I would imagine that I am not the only one who has dealt with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is a result of me trying to kick up the weights and getting sloppy on my form, but once I get more disciplined in doing that, what are some ways to further help prevent this? I would prefer to not be taking NSAIDs 24/7 as I have seen some doctors subscribe. I know that I will need to do some more frequent icing if I ever feel it start to flair up, too. Are wrist braces useful for this type of thing? If so, are there any different kinds that are better or worse? Any help is much appreciated!

If there are any questions as to more specifics of the injury that I left out, please ask. I am sure that I didn't describe it all that well...

Thanks everyone,
Wombus
Old 03-31-2011, 12:10 PM
Ratcat is lifting heavy in less time.
Light-Heavyweight

I have a pain similar to that and these gloves really help.
http://www.fitness-equipment-site.co...ng-Gloves.html
I only wear them when I'm maxing on bench. The long wrist straps keep everything warm and stable. I don't really know why they work but they do.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Stranger

Thanks RatCat. Did you order those gloves online, or can you find them in any stores?
Old 04-02-2011, 11:17 PM
Ratcat is lifting heavy in less time.
Light-Heavyweight

I bought them at one of the sport stores here in town.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:20 AM
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratcat View Post
I bought them at one of the sport stores here in town.
Great! Ill look around!

Just as an update, I lifted for the first time this week today and made sure to stretch and warm up my wrists and then did well. I made sure to keep good form and keep my wrists clenched and not just lose and floppy. Thanks for the help! I still plan on getting those gloves though to further prevent any more problems.

Wombus
Old 05-30-2011, 06:44 AM
Altezza should change his/her status!

Sounds like an impingement of ulnar nerve caused either by inflammation of muscle tendon (could suspect flexor carpi ulnaris muscle) or misalignment of carpal bones (either pisiform or hamate bone).

Either way, I would advise you to see a Chiropractor specializing in sports medicine, they will be able to diagnose which problem you are having & be able to instruct either a rehabilitation along with soft tissue work (if it's tendonitis) or will be able to set ur misaligned bone back in place (if that's the underlying problem).

Ignoring the underlying cause and simply using a glove to cover up the symptom is unadvisable.. it could very easily aggravate the problem and turn it into a real problem that could've been easily fixed.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:46 AM
jannet should change his/her status!

Well dear ,I would say that you have to consult a physician for better advice and treatment .Because the physician will diagnosed it well and prescribe the best medicine for it..
Old 04-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Altezza should change his/her status!

He/she will 'prescribe' NSAIDs or perhaps intramuscular cortisone shot.
Neither of which addresses the actual problem, and will cause a series of side-effects.

That is not a good way to go.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:51 AM
jannet should change his/her status!

Wrist pain with staining and swelling is frequently a symptom of an injury. We should take treatment in if we feel injury at first time.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:35 PM
wildgrl is suffering from prospective syndrome.
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altezza View Post
He/she will 'prescribe' NSAIDs or perhaps intramuscular cortisone shot.
Neither of which addresses the actual problem, and will cause a series of side-effects.

That is not a good way to go.
A general practitioner would. A doctor that specializes Sports medicine wouldn't. There are always two options when it comes to treating injuries. Treat the cause or the effects. Both have merits in their own right.

Treating the effects (pain, soreness, swelling) is common in "one-off" injuries that would be less likely to re-occur once the injury has time to heal on it's own. Treating the cause (if possible) helps prevent re-injury. The later is often harder to diagnose, takes more time, and because of that - it has some added costs (which most insurance would cover btw). This is what differentiates sports medicine from a general practice.

For example, a gymnast with a swollen rotator-cuff in her shoulder would simply be told by a medical doctor to change her sport since genetically weak rotator cuffs can't be made stronger. It's the simple answer and it resolves the problem. A sports medicine doctor would look more closely at the problem and see if there is anything could be done to keep the athlete in his/her sport first. This could be about building muscles around the cuff, often includes physical therapy, adding joint supplementation, or even recommending different postures to reduce the pressure on the joint.

If it's still bothering you, seek advise from a reputable sports medicine facility. Use your family doctor when your sick, and a sports medicine doctor for issues with skeletal muscle systems. But don't live with or try to work through pain. That can make things worse.