Calorie Deficit? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > In Depth Nutrition

Notices

Old 12-30-2014, 02:17 PM
Dr Phibes should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Calorie Deficit?

I'm starting to workout again, with the primary goal of losing some fat while hopefully not losing any muscle.

I'm 6' tall and currently weigh 225lbs. I'm guessing that by body fat is around 25% at the moment. In the past, I've felt the best around 185 - 190 lbs. I have some fat to lose, but it's certainly not impossible.

According to the Mifflin-St Jeor calculation, I would need to consume 2,748 calories to maintain my current weight and 2,248 calories to lose 1lb a week. Does this sound high? I consider myself to be "lightly active". Other than my workouts at the gym, I walk about 3 miles a day at work. I would estimate that I burn about 500 calories a day via exercise.

My workouts consist of walking at a 6 - 8 degree incline on a treadmill with a 25 lbs weighted vest, the elliptical and weightlifting 3 times a week.

I have become very meticulous about logging everything that I put into my mouth, and have been consuming between 2,000 - 2,200 calories a day. I still need to up my protein intake, but I'm working on that.

Is the roughly 500 calorie deficit combined with exercise that burns 500 calories too much? That's a 1,000 calorie a day deficit, and I'm not sure if that is ideal.

I'm not sure if I should eat more, workout less or a combination of both.

Please advise. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2015, 10:11 PM
Wabbitt is pain

If you really want to lose bf without losing muscle, maybe your goal should be to add more muscle. It's really hard to diet and not lose muscle. Welcome.