Strength vs Weight ratio. Stamina training - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > HYPERplasia Research

Notices

Old 01-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Attila should change his/her status!
Stranger

Question Strength vs Weight ratio. Stamina training

Myself and my lifting buddy have been researching for a few weeks now to develop a rather different type of lifting routine and so far the information has been very scarce. If you mad scientists could help shed light on this we would greatly appreciate it! Here's the situation, I have a tendency to hurt myself while lifting and end up taking months off at a time to recover. Well it's gotten to the point that I figure since I'm married I don't really need to be shredded to attract the opposite sex. I'd rather have a body that WORKS.

If you've ever met people who work with their hands all day (ranchers, mechanics, ect.) they are surprisingly strong for their size. This led us to research a way to maximize strength while slowly building up muscle so that you never get injured during a lift. Slow and steady wins the race. I started off looking at gymnasts. They never lift weights but they are completely shredded and have strength proportionate to someone twice their size. All they ever do is lift their own body weight.

This led me to research about capillary density and stamina lifting. Routines such as 'Hundreds' lifting have you lifting lighter weight for an obscene number of reps throughout the day. This targets the capillary rich ST muscles which in turn increases the number of capillaries per pound of muscle. This increases nutrient transfer, reduces recovery time, increases stamina and (if my source was correct) maximizes strength per weight.

Taking these two concepts we mixed in theories about progressive training and just plain common sense such as 'less weight equals less chance for injury' and came up with the following concept.

For each muscle group (chest, shoulders, core, ect.) we picked exercises that could be performed with no weight at all. For example we will use side shoulder raises.
-The fist day you do weightless side shoulder raises to whatever gives you a burn, lets say 50 strait reps (only 1 set per day).
-The next day you do 51, the day after 52.
-Eventually you hit 100. At that point you start holding 1# weights and reduce your reps to whatever give you a burn (70?)
-start increasing reps again to 100. Rinse and repeat.

Include enough types of lifts to hit the entire body. Eventually it would take forever to complete a circuit so at that time split it up into two rotating routines, and increase 2 reps every other day instead. If some days you cant increase that 1 rep big deal, just try to maintain. If you ever plateau do some heavy weight low rep lifting to increase FT mass, then go back.

The goal is to get stronger with 0% chance of injury. Will you eventually get ripped? I would think so but never to the extent of a pro body builder. But I'd rather be able to work at 90% all day long than 120% for ten minutes.

Our biggest concerns are A)is the theory sound. Can you shed any light on why it would/wouldn't work. and B)is there any risk of something like tendinitis from doing 100 reps of the same motion every day?

Thanks!

Last edited by Attila; 01-28-2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 01-29-2012, 08:44 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Hey Attilla,

If I got this right, you are trying to be strong and ripped, without actually lifting heavy, so as to avoid injury. Is this correct?

If so, no, this is not the optimal way to achieve this goal. The training style you are prescribing to is more for endurance athletes. Not bodybuilders, and certainly not strength athletes.

I understand you are scared of getting injured, but you are simply going from one extreme to another, and it is not neccesary.

You can avoid getting injuried and overtraining by:

1. Periodizing your training. This entails only lifting heavy in a limited number of workouts for instance, and including multiple lighter days in your split. This has the advantage of having you train for multiple goals, and also will help you avoid injuries, associated with constant heavy lifting.
2. Tapering regularly. This involves decreasing your training volume to avoid fatigue, as well as injury. You can read about tapering and periodization and other training methods here, http://abcbodybuilding.com/trainprinciples.html
3. Correct form on your exercises. Refer to our exercise section.
4. Non-failure training. Many times people get injured because they push a last rep, and compromise their form in doing so. There are benefits, and negatives to failure training. I'll probably write an article on this soon. But for now, a person with your concerns would be better off mostly doing non-failure training.
5. Read up on occlusion training (again you will find an article in the link I gave above). This is a low intensity alternative to training heavy, that actually does improve strength and hypertrophy, with decreased injury risk.

Overall, your concern for injury is OK. But you are taking it much, much too seriously. If you design a program properly, you will be fit, healthy, ripped, and injury free. All athletes have a nick here or there - that is pretty much unavoidable. But you can avoid most major injuries by following the tips I gave above.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:22 AM
Stranger

Thanks venom, I'm on my way to read those articles now I can't say how glad I am to have people giving me advice rather than just using google and getting convoluted info.

I completely agree and understand what you were saying, the regiment you prescribed would be the more sensible approach and is most likely what I will be reverting to, I am 100% sure you are correct that this is not the optimal approach. My brain just got stuck on a concept and curiosity has driven to see how far I could take it. If this is the end of that road so be it.
I guess what I just haven't been able to nail down yet is to what extent people can push endurance lifting and how? Say getting ripped wasn't the concern but rather having the ability to do something physically taxing for hours on end, what kind of research should I be looking into? I guess a decent analogy would be like soldiers throughout history. They carried a hundred pounds worth of equipment around for twelve hours and still had to have the wind to swing a sword at the end of the day. That takes strength plus endurance. Is it possible to get that the whole body over?
So far the majority of my research has lead me to studies/theory on capillary density, slow progressive training and reducing recovery time. One of you gents recently pointed me at mitochondria as well (thanks btw.) While I've lifted plenty in the past most of the time I just did what I was told. Getting into the science is very enlightening but I'm still years away from you guys.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:36 AM

You are dealing with the topic of training for multiple goals. This is commonly done in many sports, most famously in the triathlon.

There is a concept known as the concurrent training detriment, where training for one goal (i.e. endurance) can hinder progress when training for another goal (i.e. strength) at the same time.

We cover this topic here:

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/Concu...icle_PARTI.pdf
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/Concurrentarticle2.pdf
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/concu...references.pdf
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Can I just say....that it is great to have you back on the boards Venom!

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 01-30-2012, 05:35 PM

Great to be back. :-)
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 01-31-2012, 11:05 PM
Stranger

Thanks venom, that paper was quite an eye opener!

Tags
injury, ratio, stamina, strength, weight