Weightlifter's headache? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 06-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Aopocetx is a noob
Stranger

Unhappy Weightlifter's headache?

Has anyone ever experienced this? About a week ago I was doing deadlifts and on my 8th rep I got this sudden, EXTREMELY painful headache that made me get on the ground and clasp my head in pain. It was so painful it felt like time stopped, I felt like I couldn't focus on anything but the pain. It was a stabbing sort of pain in the back of my head. The pain (thankfully) went down after a few minutes and kinda leveled off after about 10, and I had a slight headache the rest of the day. Now, I've tried working out a couple times since and it comes back whenever I get to a decent weight... but usually before I'm even done warming up (it happens as I begin to exert myself with some force).

So I looked up the symptoms and it sounds like a "primary exertionary headache" or weightlifter's headache. Now, I've gotten this a couple times in the past. Both times I was in jail and was drinking a lot of strong coffee... back then I thought it was due to high blood pressure because of stress. But now I'm thinking it might have something to do with the caffeine, as I was drinking a lot of energy drinks and coffee when this started a week ago. Because it's happened a couple times before, I don't think it's a secondary headache (something like a tumor in my brain)... I don't remember how I got rid of it. I think I just stopped working out for a while and it went away... but what the hell? This is really taking a toll on my livelihood because I don't feel 100% happy unless I get a good workout. And at this point I can't work out. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to what might be causing it? Last time this happened I did check my blood pressure and it was normal. It's really pissing me off.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Metal Head is Stronger, better, faster..

Wow that sounds scary for sure, prob should go see a doc on that one
Old 06-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Aopocetx is a noob
Stranger

Yeah I know I probably should, but I'm broke.

I found another thread about this on another forum... http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...0736231&page=1

Sounds like I may have a pinched nerve in my neck or something of that nature...
Old 06-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Metal Head is Stronger, better, faster..

That absolutely sucks! Maybe take a couple of weeks and do some yoga and or stretching
Old 06-19-2012, 03:36 AM
Aopocetx is a noob
Stranger

Yeah, at this point I know I have to take some time off. It really sucks though... I love lifting weights. I'm just gonna try to relax and make sure I don't put any strain on my neck and upper back... wish me luck.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:44 PM
Ratcat is lifting heavy in less time.
Light-Heavyweight

Personally speaking I would train differently till I found a routine that I could do that didn't make me hurt. Anything as long as I was still progressing.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:33 AM
Aopocetx is a noob
Stranger

Ratcat, I tried to but doing squats is impossible without it coming back. Same with deadlifts. I was able to do my usual sets of bench presses and rows by controlling my breathing and taking it very slowly but I feel like I'm not getting a good workout if I can't work out my legs.

Today I was doing the dirty with my girl and as my heart rate increased it came back HARD. I had to really slow down to finish what we were doing, but pain was really bad by the time we were done. I took some ibuprofen and it helped significantly, so it has something to do with my blood, right? NSAIDs help afterwards but they don't prevent it... although I can exercise slightly longer if I take some before... so I still can't get a good workout.

This really sucks. ;(
Old 06-21-2012, 10:20 PM
Ratcat is lifting heavy in less time.
Light-Heavyweight

Well now thats a worry. But I'd be practicing my slow nasties just to get it done. And its the same thing, for me, with a workout. If I can't lift then I'll row. If I can't do upper body, Coz of crook elbows, then I'll do legs. I just have to keep moving forward. If legs a too sore then I'll do a light workout for some active recovery. Just don't stop working out.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:49 AM
Aopocetx is a noob
Stranger

You're right Ratcat, thanks. I was so sick of not working out (what was it, a few days?) that I decided to just do upper body today and took it slow. I ended up finishing an awesome workout. I have a great pump right now. I can feel when the headache is gonna start so I learned the trick is to control my breathing, take it slow, and not push for that last rep if I really have to. I can stop pushing myself right before it starts, so that's a good thing. I know I can't do squats or deadlifts just yet but hopefully this will go away...