Variety in simple meal plans - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > In Depth Nutrition

Notices

Old 05-09-2012, 02:39 AM
ja3 should change his/her status!

Question Variety in simple meal plans

Hi guys,

My goal is to get a ripped physique....I eat healthy during the week, but during the weekends, I have to admit, I like to eat out for 2-3 meals. That's probably too much with respect to my goal. And I realized part of the problem is that I like to have variety in my meals (along with the luxury of keeping meals simple, which ordering out does), which encourages me to eat out since I essentially eat the same thing for each meal during the week....

So how do you all incorporate variety and minimize cooking preparation/time with your meals, esp on the weekends? Do you "cheat" meals on the weekends and if so, how many and can you still meet your goal?
Old 05-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

There is no reason variety and eating out should mean you are getting off track.

When eating out, just make sensible choices and substitutions.

When eating in, use different vegetables and seasoning to ensure variety while still being healthy. Also, in terms of starches, there are many different types of rice; potatoes can be cooked numerous ways; and if you have a flair for baking, you can adjust certain recipes to make various breads/biscuits that are actually healthy.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 05-23-2012, 02:28 AM
HardCory is working towards a lean 200
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
There is no reason variety and eating out should mean you are getting off track.

When eating in, use different vegetables and seasoning to ensure variety while still being healthy. Also, in terms of starches, there are many different types of rice; potatoes can be cooked numerous ways; and if you have a flair for baking, you can adjust certain recipes to make various breads/biscuits that are actually healthy.

In a nutshell a diet doesn't have to be tasteless torture.
-Colossians 3:23

24-17 ABC Fight Corner
Workout Journal
http://www.twitter.com/CoryFever
Old 05-24-2012, 12:58 AM
Charles Izzo should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Eating out is fine. In fact, it can make calorie counting a lot easier!

Example:
Double QP w/cheese 740 calories
Double QP w/cheese 740 calories
Big Mac 540 calories
= 2020 calories
Drop the Big Mac and we are down to 1480 calories.

The trick with eating out is to make sure you pick the restaurants where you have easy access to the number of calories, and set yourself a limit. If you don't know the calories, you don't know how much you're eating, so you are left to guess. I'd much rather not guess.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:19 PM
wildgrl is suffering from prospective syndrome.
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
+1

in addition, be careful about portion sizes as well. Many main-stream restaurant portions are double, if not triple a normal sized portion. Macaroni Grill for example is notorious for this. I went there with a few friends a few months back, and their 10 yr daughter ordered Spaghetti and meatballs off the kids menu. A single portion of pasta for a child is 3/4 of cup. Well, the 4 cup PLATTER they came out was something that I would classify as child abuse. I penned a letter to the corporate office with my complaint about their child portions - not that it will do anything.

I never quite understood this logic. How does over-sized portions that you can't (or shouldn't finish) equal better value? Here's a novel thought - How about a normal sized portion at a normal sized price?? Or offer "half" portions as an option? I'd love that since i'm tiny anyway.

Or - if it's only calories your concerned about -- just order a large "Cookies & Creme" milkshake from Baskin & Robbins. At 3100 calories, you'll be fed enough calories for a day. No math required. Of course if dieting were only about "calories in / calories out" (that alone doesn't work btw), we could simply live on sugar alone.

Last edited by wildgrl; 05-25-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Tags
meal plans, meals