a thought about expensive training gear - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Recreation > Members' Discussion:

Notices

Old 07-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Harlow should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default a thought about expensive training gear

A friend of mine was saying something about the best weight lifting shoes on the market. He mentioned a few names of products so I googled them. I came across a forum where some guys were arguing about the topic. According to the forum I found, the only good shoes to workout in are expensive brands usually over 100 bucks, and chuck taylors are the worst because they are cheap. They argued on for quite a few pages.
Upon reading this thread I found I thought to myself, are these guys for real? They appeared to believe that you couldn't get a good workout if you didn't have the hottest (usually extremely expensive) workout gear out there. Folks, I have a half-decent gym setup in my garage in which it is not at all uncommon for me to be found training buck naked from time to time. I don't remember the last time I wore shoes to workout.
I've never had expensive training shoes. Am I missing out? I use FlexMax gloves that I take from work to lift with. They suit me fine I think. I think that someone who gets caught up in collecting all this training gear has missed the point. It brings an image to mind of tough guys walking around in warm up suits who haven't ran a mile since 5th grade.
I felt the need to rant on this because to me, it's a simple concept. If you aren't going to put forth the hard work and dedication to get the body you want, then what is the point of buying all this fancy stuff? The real stuff you need is in your mind. Stuff isn't going to magically get you in shape. It's so simple but yet people still don't get it. <end of rant>
Old 07-22-2012, 09:16 PM
HardCory is working towards a lean 200
Super Moderator

First off I wouldn't train in gloves and I'm sure most the members here would back me on this. As far as gear goes it all depends on specificity of training. I train in powerlifting and will be competing so I invested in a pair of shoes. But I do see people who invest in an expensive pair of shoes and never do anything that requires lower body. Gear is no replacement for hard work and dedication, but the right gear can definitely supplement it.
-Colossians 3:23

24-17 ABC Fight Corner
Workout Journal
http://www.twitter.com/CoryFever
Old 07-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Harlow should change his/her status!
Stranger

Understood. I get what you are saying about it depending on specificity, and I doubt one could get far competing in their under-roos, so I get ya there too. My thoughts on this were geared more towards those who relied on gear to get them fit more so than hard work and dedication, because the impression I was getting from the discussion I came across was that some folks felt that spending the cash alone would get a guy fit. Thanks for the input about the gloves. I try to use them less and less, but some lifts with the EZ bar really wrench my hands if I don't wear them.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

I train in a garage gym as well. Usually in my socks. No special gear required, just hard work and consistency.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 07-23-2012, 04:58 PM
YYZgeddylee is Hair Pie Taste Testing

i think its alot like supplements,
do they make a big difference,
in most cases probably not,
but it gets the consumer focused and excited
about their training, which helps with results.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:08 PM
joneser3eb is adding weight to the bar
Steel-Heavyweight

i train bare feet after trying just about every shoe out there. unless you are putting hard work into it ,it does not matter how much the shoes cost its not gonna get you anywhere. I also understand to a degree the motivated and excited line of thinking but that only goes so far. After that excitement fades so does the motivation. Gotta want it for other reasons otherwise you wont ever stick with it past the excitement of new gear.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:49 AM
HardCory is working towards a lean 200
Super Moderator

I was training bare foot, but somebody at my gym complained and then they played it off as a liability even though I signed a waiver to workout there.
-Colossians 3:23

24-17 ABC Fight Corner
Workout Journal
http://www.twitter.com/CoryFever
Old 07-24-2012, 03:01 AM
Metal Head is Stronger, better, faster..

What's with the knock on gloves? I've always used them and it just comes down to personal preference. I hate calluses on my hands. Just me I guess.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:33 PM
Athledan87 is Training hard
Stranger

whats your guys opinion on either getting an olympic 7ft 105kg barbell and 50kg dumbells
or would it work out better in the long run if i get a home multigym which obviously has more to it and more of a choice let me know
Old 07-27-2012, 11:03 PM
arian11 is 500 deadlift achieved, time for a 500 squat!
Light-Heavyweight

Everything you need to know about lifting shoes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWvfiwjGEEk

Yes, ditch the gloves. They are actually a negative when it comes to grip and if you grip the bar correctly, calluses will be minimal.

"Technique is always the first place to begin when striving to improve at a specific skill."
My YouTube Page