Apples and hunger wtf! - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > In Depth Nutrition

Notices

Old 04-01-2012, 07:31 AM
Bulk101 should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Apples and hunger wtf!

Hi,

This might sound strage but after i eat an apple I get the hungers bad! Not sure if its the insilun it releases and it affects blood sugar levals in a certain way or not. But even if ive had a 5 course meal then have an apple wow the appite comes back with vengance! any one else have this or can explain?
Old 04-01-2012, 03:01 PM
HardCory is working towards a lean 200
Super Moderator

I haven't really heard of this; an apple is around 40 on the GI which would put it in the low range. I know with high GI CHOs like dextrose it's possible to experience hypoglycemia; which we all know low blood sugar can cause an increase in hunger.
-Colossians 3:23

24-17 ABC Fight Corner
Workout Journal
http://www.twitter.com/CoryFever
Old 04-01-2012, 10:31 PM
joneser3eb is adding weight to the bar
Steel-Heavyweight

I dont know the reason behind this either, but i have noticed this many times in the past as well.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:45 AM
JimmyJ is Newbie
Stranger

Same here concerning the apple, tends not to be so bad when I combine it with a spoonful of Crunchy peanut butter...
Old 05-20-2012, 08:23 PM
wildgrl is suffering from prospective syndrome.
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulk101 View Post
Hi,

This might sound strage but after i eat an apple I get the hungers bad! Not sure if its the insilun it releases and it affects blood sugar levals in a certain way or not. But even if ive had a 5 course meal then have an apple wow the appite comes back with vengance! any one else have this or can explain?
I've heard of this before and it's really interesting... odd... but still interesting. And it's always apples?? Yea...wtf?!

I don't think its from blood sugar/insulin unless you've had hypoglycemic-like conditions before - becoming light headed, dizzy, intense hunger, etc.; after a short energy release or insulin spike after eating. Eating one apple and causing a hunger hormone to fire would be a pretty intense reaction. That's like feeling the floor shake if you drop your keys.

The hunger hormone is one of those that I call a "stupid hormone" because it's simply a set of functions telling our brain to "eat.. because you need something." But it doesn't give any hints as to what that "something" is.

The Leptin hormone monitors our nutritional status, and the Ghrelin hormone tells us we’re hungry. These work together to balance our states of hunger and satiety. As a complex a marvel as the human body is, you'd think it would say "eat a banana" when the body is low in potassium, for example. After all, the body 'learns' and adapts in lots of other ways - except in the cases of hunger. Then it just plays dumb.

So why apples??

I don't know. But clearly something has yin without the yang, borrowing from the Chinese concept of equilibrium.

But if anyone knows the answer to this, id be very interested in knowing. I find stuff like this really fascinating. (i know... i need a life! lol)

Last edited by wildgrl; 05-20-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:46 AM
klosey is 51 visitors online right now ! Let's get that number higher!!
Super Moderator

basically its to do with the sugars and citric acids in the apple... think of all those lovely fat burners people suggest. apple cider vinegar.. citrus extract.. apple skins... thats the reason for the hunger.. acid