Digestion and Post Workout Meal - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > In Depth Nutrition

Notices

Old 03-19-2012, 06:14 PM
ThanosShadow is eating some brains
Stranger

Default Digestion and Post Workout Meal

Well I begin to defy the myth of the post-workout meal since I realised that food needs about 2-3 hours to get to the small intestines and get absorbed. So if I eat/drink some protein or swallow any of these "amino acid" pills, it would be silly to expect that this protein will get to my muscles the time I take it. Am I wrong?
What is your opinion?
Old 03-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Warning, I am not going to word this correctly, lol.

But, I believe some amino acids essentially bypass normal digestion because they are already at such a simple state. Hence, there is some benefit to taking EAA or BCAA right before/during workout.

Also, if you read the workout shake article on this website, they discuss dilution which helps digestion progress faster, this is why you take in a PWO shake with copious amounts of water.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 03-19-2012, 08:08 PM
ThanosShadow is eating some brains
Stranger

Thnx commander but I am not sure what to believe, hehe. I know that if I do not eat immediately after a workout, my muscles shrink way much more within an hour than when I have a good post workout meal. I have also experienced immediate diarrhea when I drank around 100gr of whey once (Dont ask me why, I just did it) so how come the effect was so immediate?
What I am going to do, to be sure, is drink my multiple-source protein (gaspari myofusion) around 1-1,5 hours before my training session and immediately after, a good meal with carbs and protein (from food or powder).

(Post workout meal is generally a headache! I read in the American Journal of Physiology about the effects of different post workout meals. Eating a high protein (with carbs) meal activated mTOR or somethin like that but raised myostatin (!?). However the absence of post workout meal blocked myostatin at some point but didnt activated mTOR...*****, all these seem so interesting and it's a pity I do not know all these things..(yet)
Old 03-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Sounds like a fine plan, don't get caught up in minutia. Important thing is to get in quality carbs and protein around your workout.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 03-25-2012, 07:24 PM
kaaijer is challenging himself again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanosShadow View Post
Well I begin to defy the myth of the post-workout meal since I realised that food needs about 2-3 hours to get to the small intestines and get absorbed. So if I eat/drink some protein or swallow any of these "amino acid" pills, it would be silly to expect that this protein will get to my muscles the time I take it. Am I wrong?
What is your opinion?
Protein digestion begins in the stomach by the enzyme pepsin. So yes, your amino acid plasma level will rise pretty fast within an hour, depending on the exact stomach contents. Once your free amino acid level has risen, it takes only a little time to be transported into the receptive muscle cells after excersice when insuline sensitivity is high.