Looks like I was here six years ago! - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 02-22-2012, 10:56 AM
soilbleed should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Looks like I was here six years ago!

I'm 24 now, and I'm just looking at when I last logged on! Six years ago, wow. And I've not got where I've wanted to go, but I've really found the motivation and have the lifestyle now to make things work. Here's my story.

Just to give you more of an idea, I'm 5 foot 9. My weight has always gone up and down as my commitment to fitness has never been more than brief flirts. I've never been technically overweight, but as I'm sure as with a lot of people here, Christmas overindulgence got the better of me and my weight was at its highest of 75kg. This doesn't really have spread over my body but always seems to concentrate on my belly which is annoying.

I've always wanted to get bigger as I'm quite a weedy guy, but I've always wanted to get rid of my belly too as it always makes me uncomfortable taking my top of in front of others. So I thought the best plan would be to lose weight for two to three months to get a flatter belly and then start on the weights after, as it may be too difficult to lose the belly fat after bulking.

After almost two months, I'm on around 63kg, so I've lost 12kg. I've been doing a mixture of weights and cardio at least four times a week. I've been incredibly strict and cut down fatty foods to one treat a week and cut down carbs by at least 80%. I'm very proud and it's a lot to lose in this period. My belt has gone to its lowest notch and now is a bit too big, but my belly still feels too big in proportion to everything else! On a really good day, I can suck it in and I can see my abs vaguely (I've been working on them a lot), but it still doesn't seem to have to gone away to the extent I want.

I'm not sure what to do, as if I carry on with my diet and plans I'll be way lighter than I really want to be. I've crossed that threshold where I'm under 10 stones, and I don't want to be a skinny guy, I want to be a big guy with some nice abs! Any ideas on what I can do? I definitely have the dedication to work for it, but I need to know what to do!
Old 02-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

I would focus on getting stronger with the basic lifts. As you start to move more weight on Squats, Deadlifts, Bench, Overhead Press, and some back movements, you will put on lean mass and your metabolism will increase. Contrary to what you said about it being difficult to lose your belly after bulking, as long as you don't get carried away, it will be EASIER to lose the fat after gaining some lean mass because you will have a naturally faster metabolism.

That said, I don't know how overweight you are, if you are really overweight, then yes, cut down a bit before trying to gain any mass.

But no matter what your goal, i.e. losing fat, gaining muscle. The focus in the gym should be progressive resistance.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 02-22-2012, 08:14 PM
Cyborg_Sups is BECOMING MACHINE!
Stranger

Welcome back! I also just rejoined after a hiatus of 6-7 years. Good to be back and looking forward to seeing your progress.
B.S. Nutrition
CEO of Cyborg Supplements
http://www.cyborgsupplements.com
Old 02-23-2012, 12:41 PM
joneser3eb is adding weight to the bar
Steel-Heavyweight

Unless you are truly overweight i think it is a mistake to drop weight first. Based on your stats i dont think you should drop weight further. i realize you said you are 5'9 and weighed 165, and now under 140. But stop cutting and just start bulking. You dont have to get out of hand with your bulk. Just do a program up your calories in order to bulk. You dont have to get fat. As commander said focus on moving more weight each week and you will put on muscle. That muscle will help you lose the fat. Just dont overthink it and make things complicated. If you give it enough time and keep up with your diet and workout program you will see changes in your body. Less fat more muscle.