Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > In Depth Nutrition

Notices

Old 01-29-2012, 07:33 AM
vsaminat should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Protein between weights and cardio

I work out 6 days a week.
Mon-Chest and abs
Tues-bi's and tri's mini-day (25mins/1 exercise each) followed by 60 mins of cardio
Wednesday-Quad's/glutes/hamstrings and abs
Thursday-Back and body weight chest (dips/chin ups) followed by 60 mins of cardio
Friday-Calves and shoulders
Saturday-bi's and tri's main day (superset b/w bi's and tri's) followed by 60 mins of cardio

My main goals for the next 3 months are the following in order:
(i) Get leaner (hence the 3x60 min cardio session per week)
(ii) maintain strength (ie be able to do the same weight/reps at least even when I am losing weight from (i))
(iii) maintain muscle mass.

Since I do weights and cardio during the same session 3x a week, I consume my carbs and protein after my cardio (60 mins) on those days. Is this too much time after my weight workout ie am I missing the 'anabolic window'? I like to do cardio on as much an empty stomach as possible, that is the only way I can get through the 60 mins of torture
Is there a better way to do this to better schedule my supplementation? I am usually good about this on the days I don't do cardio

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:48 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Well, doing cardio after weights has actually been proven to maximize fat oxidation. And eating right after weights and then doing cardio would basically defeat the purpose. On the other hand, delaying feeding 2-3 hours after weights has been shown to impede performance gains (possibly delaying by 1 hour might as well; kind of is the maximum waiting period).

I tend to say for your goals of wanting to maintain strength / mass and maximize fat loss, you are doing things correctly. But make sure you have your shake immediately after the cardio session.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:23 AM
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Well, doing cardio after weights has actually been proven to maximize fat oxidation. And eating right after weights and then doing cardio would basically defeat the purpose. On the other hand, delaying feeding 2-3 hours after weights has been shown to impede performance gains (possibly delaying by 1 hour might as well; kind of is the maximum waiting period).

I tend to say for your goals of wanting to maintain strength / mass and maximize fat loss, you are doing things correctly. But make sure you have your shake immediately after the cardio session.
Thanks for the reply. I was just a little concerned about losing mass esp on bi's and tri's day(s) when protein intake is delayed. My shirt sleeves are starting to feel looser ever since I started this about a month ago although I am doing the same weight and reps . On a more positive note people have been telling me I am looking slimmer
Old 01-29-2012, 08:46 AM

It's probably just fat loss resulting in loser fitting closing; as well as a drop in water and glycogen weight (which also tends to reduce the "pump" during workouts).

Sounds like you are doing fine. Just keep ticking away!
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:33 PM
HardCory is working towards a lean 200
Super Moderator

Quote:

What kind and duration of cardio would you recommend immediately following a workout?
-Colossians 3:23

24-17 ABC Fight Corner
Workout Journal
http://www.twitter.com/CoryFever
Old 01-29-2012, 06:27 PM

Long story short, I recommend low to moderate intensity after weights.

If you want the long story...a big advantage of performing high intensity exercise (either weights or sprints) is that while you are not using much fat during the event, you use more after. Reason being is because catecholamines (aka adrenaline) is released proportional to exercise intensity, and these hormones cause a rapid increase in lypolysis (fat breakdown). If you follow this exercise by mod / low intensity cardio, which uses primarily fat as fuel, then you will optimize fat oxidation.

If you want to do sprints / higher intensity work, I would either seperate it from the weights, or do it 30-40 minutes into the 60 minute post weights cardio session, to get another release of adrenalaine. Here would be a sample.

Weights
30 min low / mod intensity cardio
10 min sprints
20 min low / mod intensity cardio

For more on the cardio topic here are some great articles:

http://abcbodybuilding.com/trainprinciples.html
http://abcbodybuilding.com/work&guides.html
http://abcbodybuilding.com/laymansjhr.html

Refer to the concurrent training articles, and the article in layman JHR on cardio intensity for optimal fat metabolism.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Last edited by Venom; 01-29-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Stranger

Quote:
Long story short, I recommend low to moderate intensity after weights.

If you want the long story...a big advantage of performing high intensity exercise (either weights or sprints) is that while you are not using much fat during the event, you use more after. Reason being is because catecholamines (aka adrenaline) is released proportional to exercise intensity, and these hormones cause a rapid increase in lypolysis (fat breakdown). If you follow this exercise by mod / low intensity cardio, which uses primarily fat as fuel, then you will optimize fat oxidation.

If you want to do sprints / higher intensity work, I would either seperate it from the weights, or do it 30-40 minutes into the 60 minute post weights cardio session, to get another release of adrenalaine. Here would be a sample.

Weights
30 min low / mod intensity cardio
10 min sprints
20 min low / mod intensity cardio

For more on the cardio topic here are some great articles:

http://abcbodybuilding.com/trainprinciples.html
http://abcbodybuilding.com/work&guides.html
http://abcbodybuilding.com/laymansjhr.html

Refer to the concurrent training articles, and the article in layman JHR on cardio intensity for optimal fat metabolism.

Actually I combine the first two stages you mentioned (30 min low cardio/10 min sprint) within the same 40 min workout on the treadmill like so:
(i)3.5 mins of low intensity jog
(ii)1.5 mins of sprinting
Rinse and Repeat (i) and (ii) 8 times for a total of 40mins.

After this , I do a lo-intensity fat burner workout on the stairmaster for another 20mins.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:33 PM
GooDFeLLa is Bigger and Badder then EVA!
Middleweight

what would be the least amount of time you should space your heavy lifting with cardio 4-6 hours?
In the end there will only be me
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer
Old 02-07-2012, 06:20 PM

This article gives our opinion, http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/Concurrentarticle2.pdf

Here is a quote:

Quote:
Sequencing – In general for trained individuals cardio should be separated from leg days by at least 24 hours prior to and after the training session. For untrained individuals who have difficulty putting on size 24 hours before, and up to 72 hours after should be the optimal prescription. However, if body fat loss is a priority, then they should still wait 24 hours following training.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies