Best Sources of Pure Protein? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > In Depth Nutrition

Notices

Old 01-19-2012, 02:28 PM
H0llyw00d should change his/her status!
Rookie

Question Best Sources of Pure Protein?

So... I don't think I'm getting enough protein in my, self coined, "ultra fat loss diet plan."

My daily meals are in my other thread, about critiquing my diet, but I just know I'm not getting enough protein.

What I'm looking for is a super-boost in protein with as little caloric impact as possible. I'm talking 50g or more extra per day.

I have some double chocolate ON Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey Protein powder that I've been thinking about. I've also been thinking about grilling chicken breasts by the half dozen and eating 8oz per day.

What I'm trying to get at is... what is the most pure, low caloric, source of protein? Lean beef? Chicken? Whey Protein? Something I'm not even considering?

As usual, THANK YOU ALL. You have been a phenominal source of help and inspiration over the years.
01/19/2012 314.5
1 Cor 10:31 - Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God
Phil 4:31 - I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:47 PM
bigbear6708 is working hard
Heavyweight

all protiens are 4 cal/gram...with that being said, fat in the meat will also add categories. I would say as far as cleanest...protien powder, then chicken breast.

finally got camera, more vids to come!
Old 01-26-2012, 03:27 AM
SkaterBro is sllllooowwwly bulking

Tuna fish and egg whites?

Journal
6'5"
180 7% BF

Last edited by SkaterBro; 01-26-2012 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:26 PM
mathWIZ is cutting
Stranger

If you want to minimize the calories, the protein powder is your best bet. It'll also take fewer grams of protein to reach the leucine threshold in terms of protein synthesis, so it seems like a win-win in your case.

Just curious, have you maintained the same rate of weight-loss?
Old 01-29-2012, 08:50 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

mathWIZ really hit the nail on the head here about the "leucine threshold".

As he stated, it is an very simple answer: focus on hitting your "leucine threshold."

To elaborate, research from my lab (and others) has shown that the amino acid leucine is the primary component of protein resulting in increased MPS. If you consume roughly 2.5-3 grams per meal, you will maximize the anabolic response. For most high quality proteins, you can get this from 25-40 grams of protein.

Briefly, my research showed that animal proteins - which tend to have higher leucine densities - are optimal for maximizing the efficiency of MPS. I.e. you can consume less calories, and get greater anabolic responses. These include whey, eggs, and meats.

Here is an article that should help you out and will elaborate on this concept, http://abcbodybuilding.com/protein_size_&_frequency.pdf
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

Last edited by Venom; 01-29-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:32 AM
thomasjack should change his/her status!
Stranger

More and pure protein can be get by eating fish, meat, egg, milk, chicken. These foods are the rich in terms to protein. When ever i start body building and need protein for building strong muscles, my trainer said that use these things 3 time in a week. I also use fresh fruits and boiled vegetables for vitamins & minerals. I suggest you also do that and achieve desire result.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:20 PM
ShowTime should change his/her status!
Stranger

tuna is always one of the best ways to add protein to your diet
Old 05-18-2012, 02:42 AM
wildgrl is suffering from prospective syndrome.
Stranger

Lots of great natural sources for proteins already suggested, and I wouldn't suggest getting too anxious over protein numbers though. Personally - i love whole eggs, and tuna, and chicken breast, and beans, and natural peanut butter. Those are my weekly staples.

Yes, to higher protein diets! But keep in mind - you do need fat to utilize protein. The process of burning or fusing any nutrient depends upon the integrity of the membranes of a cellular structure called the mitochondrion; Those membranes are made of fat and are bound upon digestion. Low fat and high protein foods can sometimes contradict themselves for this reason. So think high protein, moderate fat. Best of both worlds.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgrl View Post
Yes, to higher protein diets! But keep in mind - you do need fat to utilize protein. The process of burning or fusing any nutrient depends upon the integrity of the membranes of a cellular structure called the mitochondrion; Those membranes are made of fat and are bound upon digestion. Low fat and high protein foods can sometimes contradict themselves for this reason. So think high protein, moderate fat. Best of both worlds.
Excellent point. Vince Gironda used to adovocate a shake with protein powder, eggs and heavy cream for this reason.

Added bonus....it's delicious.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 05-20-2012, 01:55 PM
keeptruckin should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgrl View Post
Lots of great natural sources for proteins already suggested, and I wouldn't suggest getting too anxious over protein numbers though. Personally - i love whole eggs, and tuna, and chicken breast, and beans, and natural peanut butter. Those are my weekly staples.

Never heard this before. The classic post-workout nutrition is protein+carb (no fat). Would you say that the classic PWO is actually sub-optimal or downright wrong? I'm asking in genuine curiosity, not in a "pick a fight" mode. I'm always open to the idea that I may be doing things wrong or sub-optimal.