Question concerning shift work? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > In Depth Nutrition

Notices

Old 11-05-2011, 02:44 AM
pratherian is lunch break
Stranger

Default Question concerning shift work?

Howdy,
I have been a shift worker for over 21 years. My normal schedule is 5to5.
I work 4 12-hour days, 4 off, then 4 12-hour nights, 4 off. For the past 5 years I have averaged 1000 hours overtime a year, but I finally quit using that as an excuse and have started training again for the first time in many years.
I am currently on week 5, and have not missed a day at the gym.
Weights every other day with HIIT cardio in between.
My question on the nutrition side of things concerns the shift work and the typical "best time" for carbs. As in oatmeal and green fibrous carbs.
I am unsure to treat my days and nights at work the same, as far as supplements and eating, or to change things up.
I am doing 6 meals a day/night with 3 Intek protein shakes included (low carb) and a restoration post workout shake. Vitamins, and a fat burner.
I go straight to the gym after work, whether days or nights.
Any insight would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Ian
Old 11-05-2011, 08:10 PM
NJI is gaining weight!!
Hyperplasia Aggressor!!

Glad to see you've decided to go for it! Too many people say they don't have time. It's true, none of us have time, you have to make time!

Are you bulking or cutting?( it sounds like you're cutting) If bulking you have carbs every meal with a larger portion allotted to breakfast and post-workout. If cutting you typically have carbs at breakfast, pre-workout and the majority post-workout. Leafy green vegetables( LGV's ) can be in any/all meals. Personally I put LGV's (romaine/spinach) in my meals that don't have the starchy carbs. These are generalizations and really depend on your plan though.

You say you're eating six meals AND having 3 protein shakes. How much time is between all of these? Current research shows that 2-2.5 hours between protein feedings is best in order to efficiently control muscular protein synthesis( MPS ) (reference: http://ajpendo.physiology.org/conten....2011.abstract ). They call this MPS refraction; meaning after going in to protein synthesis the body must start to go out of protein synthesis before you can go back in again.

How's your fat intake?
What are you eating for your meals?

You should definitely check out Jacob's 13 Weeks to Hardcore Fat Burning - The Diet .

Also, if you want to learn more about protein synthesis, check this article series out. You'll need a good amount of time to read through it there's a lot in it!
Leucine - The Key to Anabolism!

"When your vision is powerful enough, everything else falls into place: how you live your life, your workouts, what friends you choose to hang out with, how you eat, what you do for fun. Vision is purpose, and when your purpose is clear so are your life choices. Vision creates faith and faith creates willpower. With faith there is no anxiety, no doubt - just absolute confidence." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Last edited by NJI; 11-05-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:42 AM
Stranger

Default Thanks!

Thanks so much for the info.
The protein is included in the meals. A typical day is: oatmeal mixed with protein and a hand full of blue berries.
3 hrs later protein.
3 hrs later some raw almonds or Atkins bar
3 hrs later decent sized chef or grilled chicken salad ( easy on dressing)
3 hrs later protein and an apple before hitting gym
Restoration shake post work out
Sometimes protein shake before bed, sometimes lean meat and green produce
And one time a week I carb it up with a semi cheat day. Rice and meat, and once in the past 5 weeks I had 3 slices of pizza.
At any time I get hungry, I have been eating raw broccoli.
I have never in my life been a veggie eater, but I am giving it hell!
I started this year at 240 lbs on a 5'8" frame.
At the end of September when I started training I was at 223. I dropped down to 215, but have gained back to 218 while losing 3 inches of gut.
I am not so concerned about weight as I am burning off fat and adding muscle.
I am also taking omega 3,6,9 three times a day.
Thanks for the links as I will read it all, and any further input is much appreciated!
Old 11-06-2011, 05:29 AM
Red XIII is gonna change YOUR status.
Lightweight

Hey man, I'm in the same boat as you with the shift work (in fact, looking at your schedule I'm wondering if you're a po-po too?) Anyway, believe it or not, I've found that doing the gym BEFORE work usually works better for me. I didn't think it would but to avoid the after work rush I started going at 3am before work and honestly I wouldn't want it any other way. The only downside is that the first real thing I eat is the PWO shake.. But concerning your last post, I'm no nutrition guru but I'm almost positive your diet is lacking in carbs. I see oatmeal, berries then salad six hours later. I'm not 100% sure but working 12s is rough and I would assume you need a bit more energy then that.

EDIT: Disregard.. Just saw your thing about snacking on broccolli. Nevermind me

Last edited by Red XIII; 11-06-2011 at 05:32 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Stranger

Default Not the PO PO!

Red XIII,

Not police, although I have much respect.

Sr. Production technician at a chemical manufacturing facility.
I make the magic super absorbant goodness that goes on the inside of diapers!
Old 11-12-2011, 06:26 PM
NJI is gaining weight!!
Hyperplasia Aggressor!!

Quote:
oatmeal mixed with protein and a hand full of blue berries.
How much protein, what kind of protein?
3 hrs later protein.
3 hrs later some raw almonds or Atkins bar
3 hrs later decent sized chef or grilled chicken salad ( easy on dressing)
3 hrs later protein and an apple before hitting gym
How much protein is in each of these meals. If it is whey protein you will need 1.5-2 scoops in order to put your body in to protein synthesis. If it is a food protein source( eg. chicken, beef, etc ) you will need roughly 40 grams. This is about a medium sized chicken breast.

Every time you have a meal the goal is to put your body back in to MPS( muscular protein synthesis ). If the meal does not contain a certain amount of protein this will NOT occur. To be more specific it is the amount of leucine in the protein source that triggers MPS. Roughly 2.5-3.0 grams of leucine will support MPS. This is why I recommend 1.5-2 scoops of whey, or 40+ grams of whole food protein. Have you read the lecuine articles?
Quote:
Restoration shake post work out
What is in this? Specifically..
Quote:
Sometimes protein shake before bed, sometimes lean meat and green produce
Why not make it every day?
Quote:
And one time a week I carb it up with a semi cheat day. Rice and meat, and once in the past 5 weeks I had 3 slices of pizza.
Carbing up( a refeed ) can be very beneficial on a cut keep it up. Just be warry of OVER doing it. Mind you you would have to consume an adversely large number of carbohydrates to do so.
Quote:
I am also taking omega 3,6,9 three times a day.
Besides the raw almonds do you have any more fat sources?
Quote:
At the end of September when I started training I was at 223. I dropped down to 215, but have gained back to 218 while losing 3 inches of gut.
I am not so concerned about weight as I am burning off fat and adding muscle.
Keep up hard work! You're definitely following a path to success!

"When your vision is powerful enough, everything else falls into place: how you live your life, your workouts, what friends you choose to hang out with, how you eat, what you do for fun. Vision is purpose, and when your purpose is clear so are your life choices. Vision creates faith and faith creates willpower. With faith there is no anxiety, no doubt - just absolute confidence." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 11-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Stranger

Default Questions answered

I have 2 different protein supplements.

1. Intek evolution. 34 grams of protein per scoop. 2.79 grams leucine ( as well as a bunch of other bcaa's).

2. Transformulation Labs Restoration. Post workout.
30 grams protein, 3000mg creatine, 1020 grams l-glutamine complex, 30 grams carbs.

As far as the protein shake vs food before bed, sometimes I am not hungry, but I make myself drink the protein.
What would you recommend ?

The one day a week I carb it up I stay within my calories I have been shooting for (approx. 2100)

I haven't focused too much on other fat sources so any advice would be great.
I have been tracking my calories and water intake with an iPhone app. But all the apps I have tried all leave something to be desired as far as level of detail.
I am doing my best, but tracking has never been a strong suit.

I really do appreciate the advice and input and I did read every single leucine article!

It appears that the Intek Evolution protein 3 or 4 times a day puts me in the sweet spot for leucine.
I am willing to do a scoop and a half if you recommend it.

Thanks for the help!

Ian
Old 01-06-2012, 06:02 AM
jannet should change his/her status!

this is very important aspect ....
Old 01-07-2012, 04:22 AM
bigbear6708 is working hard
Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red XIII View Post
Hey man, I'm in the same boat as you with the shift work (in fact, looking at your schedule I'm wondering if you're a po-po too?) Anyway, believe it or not, I've found that doing the gym BEFORE work usually works better for me. I didn't think it would but to avoid the after work rush I started going at 3am before work and honestly I wouldn't want it any other way. The only downside is that the first real thing I eat is the PWO shake.. But concerning your last post, I'm no nutrition guru but I'm almost positive your diet is lacking in carbs. I see oatmeal, berries then salad six hours later. I'm not 100% sure but working 12s is rough and I would assume you need a bit more energy then that.

EDIT: Disregard.. Just saw your thing about snacking on broccolli. Nevermind me
Same here (military), so I work out at 6 am, first think I eat is the PWO shake before my lift actually..then eat real breakfast after my shower...sometimes on the ride to work..or else just at work

finally got camera, more vids to come!