Training beyond failure? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 03:59 AM
GooDFeLLa is Bigger and Badder then EVA!
Middleweight

Default Training beyond failure?

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on training beyond failure? This new workout I was looking into uses a regular eight rep scheme immediately followed by four spotted reps. Those reps will have a spotter with two parts: a partial and a full negative. That would be one rep. The article says its a 12 week workout but it looks like it would be over training. Would a program like that be over training? And would a workout like that be better for a shock for a few weeks rather than close to 3 months?
In the end there will only be me
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer
Old 11-27-2011, 09:55 AM
ecko31s is officially in full beast mode again
Bantamweight

I generally perform the last working set of a given exercise to failure or beyond. The sets before that I usually just stop a predetermined number even if I can get more reps. Each set I perform is usually progressively heavier until I reach the max weight I'm going to workout with. For Example, 135x20 185x12 225x10 250x8 275x8 295x8 300x7+two forced reps followed by a negative. I wouldn't try this every single workout if your worried about over training. I usually change my workout to keep things fresh. For instance, you could try that method for 3 workouts, then switch to something else such as using lighter weight and performing 4 sets of 10 reps using 245lbs with only 30 seconds of rest in between sets. You would only do 10 reps even though you can do more, but by the time you hit the 4th set you would hit failure at 10 reps because of the short rest periods.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:43 AM
greatkeen is getting BIGGER
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooDFeLLa View Post
I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on training beyond failure? This new workout I was looking into uses a regular eight rep scheme immediately followed by four spotted reps. Those reps will have a spotter with two parts: a partial and a full negative. That would be one rep. The article says its a 12 week workout but it looks like it would be over training. Would a program like that be over training? And would a workout like that be better for a shock for a few weeks rather than close to 3 months?
i haven't really looked into this program or have personal experience of it. but i have read abt Trevor Smith (the creator of this program). he was pretty successful as a trainer & this program was also quite popular. so i think there has to be some credibility in the program.

but for your specific question, i would ask you a question first...can you tell me how many sets are to be performed in this beyond failure fashion for a particular exercise? body part?

Also i am sure after the 12 week, there would be a deload period of 2-3weeks or may be a complete OFF week?
Old 11-29-2011, 06:34 PM
redbill73 should change his/her status!

Training beyond failure for 12 weeks seems like a long time. I've found training beyond failure works best when i've hit a plateau.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Whether or not it would be overtraining is going to depend on other variables. I.E., your previous training experience, training you are currently doing, ability to recover in general, ability to recover in terms of life stressors.

I personally used to use beyond failure training and my body got used to it. However, I currently keep a rep or two in the tank. If I were to switch to beyond failure training it would quite a shock.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 12-17-2011, 03:51 AM
Ratcat is lifting heavy in less time.
Light-Heavyweight

I use the pin machines when I want to go really heavy. The forcing the negative idea is great but it requires great determination. Its good when I can't do a full set because of fatigue. It works my muscle but allows me to heal a little quicker. Yesterday after military presses I went to the pin machine for some heavy reps. Then continued on with the rest of my workout. Raises, dips then on to triceps.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:54 AM
greatkeen is getting BIGGER
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Whether or not it would be overtraining is going to depend on other variables. I.E., your previous training experience, training you are currently doing, ability to recover in general, ability to recover in terms of life stressors.

I personally used to use beyond failure training and my body got used to it. However, I currently keep a rep or two in the tank. If I were to switch to beyond failure training it would quite a shock.
'beyond failure training' a specific training program by Trevor Smith (late), if its wat OP is talking abt...then for sure its OVER TRAINING...i have looked quite deeply into it...and the protocol trevor describes is for sure not for nattys..

however, if OP was just referring to simple techniques of taking ur sets beyond failure through drop sets, super sets etc...i am far off the topic..lolz.