Some help with my routine, please! - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 06-02-2011, 10:43 AM
CrimCrim is lazy

Default Some help with my routine, please!

Hi Guys!

I'm trying to build something around the "Animals 8 weeks to Awesome Abs Program". I'm limited to bags of kitty litter, and this "playground" my apartment complex has .

Using a calisthenic guide as a base for the rest of the workout, I've put this together. I'm going to use this for a month by doing Week 1, Week 2, Week 1, Week 2. There are bound to be big holes and gaps in my routine. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help me fine tune it. Towards the end of the month I'll start planning the next 4 weeks in accordance with Animals 8 week AAP.

I'd also like to do 6-8 sets of jumping rope for 3 mins Tue Thur, and probably one set before and after each workout as a warmup.

I don't know how many of anything I can do atm, so that's why I set all the reps a little high. Ideally, if I can get that high then I'll find some way to weigh myself down next time I do it.

Thanks for any help/advice you guys can offer!

Week 1

Mon Wed Fri

Weighted leg over (20-25 per leg)
Hanging leg Raise (3S, 8-10R)
Weighted Crunch (3S, 8-10R)

Mon

Push up (1 set of 20 each):
Normal
Triangle
Incline
Clap (10)
Chest Dip (3s 5-20)
Standing dumbell Row (3s 5-10)

Wed

Squat Jump (3S 10R)
Calf Raises (3S 10-20R)
Glute Kick (3S 10-20R)
Neck Raise (3S 5-10)
Lunges (3S 8-20)

Fri

Pull up (palm out) (3S 5-10)
Bench Dip (3s 10-20)
Hyperextensions (3s 5-20)
handstand pushup (3s 3-5)

Week 2

Mon Wed Fri

Hanging weighted twisted raise (20-25 per leg)
Dumbell leg lift (3S 8-10R)
Seated Bench Crunch (3S 8-10R)

Mon

Pushup (1 set of 20 each)
Wide
One Hand
Fist pushup with inside of hands facing each other and elbows going back
Chest Dip (3s 5-20)
Standing dumbell Row (3s 5-10)

Wed

kettlebell pistol (3S 8-10)
Calf Raises (3S 10-20R)
Glute Kick (3S 10-20R)
Neck Raise (3S 5-10)
Lunges (3S 8-20)

Fri
Pull up (V) (3S 5-10)
Bench Dip (3s 10-20)
Hyperextensions (3s 5-20)
handstand pushup (3s 3-5)
Old 06-18-2011, 04:03 AM
CrimCrim is lazy

Anyone?

I've finished week 2. I haven't been able to find something to replace the cable talked about in the animal guide so I'm repeating the weighted crunches. I've been using ankle weights for the hanging twisting raises which I feel is a bit too much but I do them in sets of 6-8 until I get to at least 20. I'm also using ankle weights for the dumb bell leg lift.

I feel like the rest of the stuff I'm doing isn't much but I'm not really sure what else I can add in. Though my arms usually get tired and lose a lot of energy just from hanging and doing the ab stuff.

I don't know if the chest dips are ideal. The bars seem really close to each other and my arms brush against my hips when I do this exercise.

I've got some Whey (finally) and Dextrose... not sure if it's bad but it has FOS, Vit. C, Taurine, and something else mixed in but that's the best I can find here. I'm searching for Maltodextrin but I haven't found a good place to order it yet. I was wondering if anyone knew of a decent temporary substitute for it. I'm going to try and find something like smarties here but chances are I won't find a candy like it very easily. IF that's the case, what can I use until I order my malto? Could I just blend up some cooked corn and add that to my shake? Or a potato or something?

Edit:

I just wanted to add that I will be ordering maltodextrin but even if I were to find a suitable source today, I probably wouldn't get it until after my 2nd workout day next week. So I'm just wondering what I should do until then. Plain Whey? Whey and Dextrose? Whey, Dextrose, and _____?

Last edited by CrimCrim; 06-18-2011 at 04:19 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:04 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Seems like you are making the best out of your situation.

Doing something is better than doing nothing.

Any simple starch/carb will do until you get the Malto.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 06-28-2011, 02:05 AM
CrimCrim is lazy

Yes, well I was lucky enough to find a candy that was a combo of dextrose and maltodextrin so I used that for a couple days until my maltodextrin came. I'm surprised though, maltodextrin doesn't seem to taste all that sweet on it's own.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Malto is more of a filler, dextrose is the sweet one.

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
Old 07-20-2011, 02:48 AM
CrimCrim is lazy

Ah, I see.

Well I just wanted to update and ask for some more advice.

I've only gained 2 kilos or so in the last 8 weeks. I think the biggest issue there is my diet. I just don't want to eat... because it means cooking which in turn requires cleaning. Maybe I need to find a girlfriend who doesn't mind washing dishes if I cook >_>.

My abs have had the biggest improvement, probably because it's the area I can target the easiest with what I have. I have a big one pack if I'm standing normally. If I flex and exhale, I can see/feel the faint lines that divide my abs.

I have Pecs now... even though their tiny ones. Before there wasn't really anything there, now there is. My arms have gotten bigger too. They feel harder too.

Not sure about my back/legs/shoulders. With the exception of the jumping squats and maybe kettle bell pistols, the leg workouts are boring and don't challenge me much.

I've made some slight improvements with my pull ups. One day I did 10 v pullups straight, though most days I find myself doing 6-8. I think at this point I could do 50 pushups no problems, where as before I could only do maybe 20 before wanting to give up. I've started doing pushups with the bags of kitty litter on my shoulder. I've also gone from being able to do 0 one armed pushups to about 3. Not sure how to really balance myself while doing them, though. Should my legs be together or far apart?

My handstand pushups are better too. I can do about 5 that aren't super deep, where as before I could only do 5 crappy ones. The Chest Dips are much better as well. Before I could barely do 5 good ones. Now I can get up to about 8 good ones, though I always lose a rep each set. So 8, 7, 6 or 8, 7, 5 is what usually happens.

Can/should I be doing weighted pushups and pull ups every work out (Mon/Wed/Fri)? Any other exercises I can do at home that will help with my shoulders, traps, etc?

What else can I do be doing for my legs? Do I just need to go to a gym?

I'm not sure if my technique for the ab exercises are right. For the weighted leg overs, my hip seems to get tired. I try focusing on my abs when I turn my body over then back up. Am I doing this right or wrong?

The *hanging* weighted twisted raises. I haven't improved at all. I can't do 20-25 in a row with weights on. I've started with 6kg of weights since day one. At best I can do 3 sets of 8 though they always get pretty sloppy.

The dumbbell leg lift. Are these going to put strain on my quads? I've found that when I put extra weight on, it really makes me legs tired (and my abs would be more tired than with a lighter weight too). Could my technique be wrong?

When I flex/exhale I find it easier to see my right side. Not sure why, but maybe I'm not using my left side as much.

For some extra cals, would drinking a glass of wine a day/eating some chocolate be bad? The rest of my meals are pretty healthy, I just have a hard time getting those extra calories.

Last edited by CrimCrim; 07-20-2011 at 04:18 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you are making fine progress to me. 2kg in 8 weeks is ideal is you are looking to stay lean while you bulk.

Plus you are getting stronger, keep it up.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Raziel is on the path to muscular transcendance!
Stranger

You can get an amazing bod with pure calinesthetics! You just have to be smart about designing the routine, haha. Have you given exrx a try? http://www.exrx.net/index.html
Old 08-16-2011, 02:31 AM
CrimCrim is lazy

I think I lost 3 kgs in two weeks. Did some traveling, couldn't work out, one day was a hard hike without much food. In fact I haven't been eating much because my friends don't eat much, though we've done a fair share of drinking. Wonder how much I lost cause of it =/. Anyway I'm at like 65kgs right now. Sucks. Gotta get back into routine now that I'm home.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:21 AM
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator

keep to it.. if you train the gains will come