DC training - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 11-02-2011, 10:03 AM
greatkeen is getting BIGGER
Rookie

Default DC training

anyone here has any experience of DC training?
Old 11-02-2011, 01:55 PM
bigbear6708 is working hard
Heavyweight

I used to do it. got away from it because I started Powerlifting. It can get you strong/big..I am seeing better results doing a standard PL program though. I used to like it, because it is less time in the gym, once I move and will be more swamped with work, I may go back...overall a good outline though. I just dont like doing curls, forearms, calves, etc! Id rather squat, DL, bench and military!

finally got camera, more vids to come!
Old 11-05-2011, 08:32 PM
NJI is gaining weight!!
Hyperplasia Aggressor!!

Some of my friends have done it with good results. I have never tried it though.

DC utilizes the rest-pause method of training and takes it to the extreme. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes!

"When your vision is powerful enough, everything else falls into place: how you live your life, your workouts, what friends you choose to hang out with, how you eat, what you do for fun. Vision is purpose, and when your purpose is clear so are your life choices. Vision creates faith and faith creates willpower. With faith there is no anxiety, no doubt - just absolute confidence." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 11-10-2011, 02:29 AM
Charles Izzo should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

I have tried doing sets rest pause style like with DC training. It works and saves a lot of time in the gym. But it also has its disadvantages.

One argument for doing such intense and brief training sessions is to have productive workouts all while avoiding overtraining. The problem however is that doing sets like that will beat you into the dirt, which defeats the whole purpose of training like that.

So based on that I have become more in favor of working out with a slightly higher volume powerlifting style workout reliant on progressive overload as opposed to purposely taking every set to failure.

As an example, workouts such as 5 x 5 (progressively increasing weight on every set) have been tried and true. They work. They might take a little bit more time in the gym than a DC training workout, but they aren't going to fry you into the dirt either.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:05 AM
Rookie

i am actually on my 3rd week doing DC. quite frankly i love it so far. reason i started it was mostly because of time constraint. i had known of dc for quite sometime but never gave it a shot until now.

DC is not just rest pause, though that is prolly the most imp element of dc. other imp aspect is extreme stretching...that makes u really feel good..and progressive overload...u r suppose to beat the log book every freaking workout. other things like high protein intake, exercise rotation etc are also equally imp components.

Charles u r right..dc is very brutal & hardcore and run u in the ground real quick...but give u results too equally fast. Secondly, dc regime is divided into 2 phases- blast & cruise. blast is the hard core phase with rest pause extreme stretches etc. while cruise phase is the catch up period with no specific workout. you can do any exercise in any way - preferably straight sets, so ur body can recover. both blast & cruise can be as long as one feels the needs. usually blast - 6 weeks before cruising for 2-3 weeks.

All in all a good choice for those under extreme time constraint.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:39 AM
Charles Izzo should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatkeen View Post
i am actually on my 3rd week doing DC. quite frankly i love it so far. reason i started it was mostly because of time constraint. i had known of dc for quite sometime but never gave it a shot until now.

DC is not just rest pause, though that is prolly the most imp element of dc. other imp aspect is extreme stretching...that makes u really feel good..and progressive overload...u r suppose to beat the log book every freaking workout. other things like high protein intake, exercise rotation etc are also equally imp components.

Charles u r right..dc is very brutal & hardcore and run u in the ground real quick...but give u results too equally fast. Secondly, dc regime is divided into 2 phases- blast & cruise. blast is the hard core phase with rest pause extreme stretches etc. while cruise phase is the catch up period with no specific workout. you can do any exercise in any way - preferably straight sets, so ur body can recover. both blast & cruise can be as long as one feels the needs. usually blast - 6 weeks before cruising for 2-3 weeks.

All in all a good choice for those under extreme time constraint.
I see what you are saying. You have to have a way to train such that you aren't training your hardest in every workout. DC training done correctly as you are discussing addresses such a problem. However, I am convinced by now that taking your sets to failure isn't necessary.

I got some good ideas from Clarence Bass about that. He knows a lot about what it takes to keep yourself in the gym decade after decade. Work on simple progression and keep your workouts challenging. Try to continue to improve and set new goals, but don't let your workouts be so hard that they fry you into the dirt. One strategy that Clarence discussed in one of his books is alternating hard workouts with easy workouts. So in the example he included in his book, every other workout he would back off and perform the same amount of weight but with a significantly less amount of weight. He claimed he ended up improving much better that way with less injuries.

On a side note, let's talk more about time constraints. A lot of people probably don't believe me about this one, but when I tried HIT type workouts I was doing the consolidation routines from Heavy Duty 2 by Mike Mentzer. My change was that I did my reps fast and I was doing all of my sets rest pause style such as with DC training. And I didn't know about the blasting and cruising back then. I was doing one 20 minute workout per week consisting of only 3 exercises per workout and while performing each movement twice per month. It worked. But as already discussed, even with such low volume I was still fried into the dirt.

So thats another factor. You don't need a ton of volume to get good results, but some people don't believe me. I tried working out 6 times per week when I was younger. It didn't really work. And in the end I found that less workouts works even better. Four 45 minute workouts per week worked wonders. 2 workouts per week at a few hours each also works pretty good. People can train more if they want, but even on "supplements" I don't see the point. Call it time constraints if you want, but I happen to value my time and simply have better things to do with my life.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:54 AM
Rookie

OK charles, one thing i may not have stated so clearly before=> in DC its just 1 work set performed in Rest Pause style for each body part. eg: shoulders just get 1 exercise 1 real work set...thats it...followed by the stretching stuff which really makes a diff. Really hard to overtrain if u follow the routine to T.

about longevity & being injury free, i think up til now i have found layne norton 'PHAT' routine to be most scientific, he really takes care of all the fundamentals in bodybuilding. best thing is periodization within a week frame.

I would have opted for his program if only i had that much time to spend in gym- 4-5 days with roughly 1+hr in gym.