Ever tell anyone they couldn't work in between sets? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Recreation > Members' Discussion:

Notices

Old 11-11-2011, 07:43 AM
Spectre is getting stronger.
Bantamweight

Default Ever tell anyone they couldn't work in between sets?

Upon being asked if they could work in, have you ever denied someone by flat out saying, "No, you can't, sorry"?

Oddly enough, this happened to me today. I asked if I could work in on the decline bench to the guy that was just standing next to it, he told me, "No, sorry." I know I was a little sweaty but man lol. He then proceeded to do a rather awkward set of decline situps followed by walking away and looked confused as to what exercise to do next. Didn't even notify me that he was finished so I just hopped on. I wasn't really upset but it just struck me as kinda strange. Gym etiquette? Thoughts?

Train Hard.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Link is eating his greens
Light-Heavyweight

Ive never refused someone, but I make sure they know when I want to go Im not waiting on them nor am I willing to spot them (I will as long as it doesnt require me to use any effort that will hamper my workout).

Yes Im a grouch at the gym.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:54 AM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Yet another reason I am so glad I workout in my basement.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 11-13-2011, 02:18 AM
Link is eating his greens
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Yet another reason I am so glad I workout in my basement.
I wish I wasnt moving to a condo, or else I would start putting **** together. Although Id need a lot of specialized stuff for my personal gym...
Old 11-13-2011, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link View Post
I wish I wasnt moving to a condo, or else I would start putting **** together. Although Id need a lot of specialized stuff for my personal gym...
Don't limit yourself, sometimes a return to the basics is great. Surely your condo can fit a rack and bench?

I enjoy specialized toys, but the vast majority of my time is spent under the barbell.

Believe me, if you get used to working out on your own...you'll never go back to a gym.

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
Old 11-13-2011, 04:25 AM
Spectre is getting stronger.
Bantamweight

Good philosophy, Link. If someone works in the worst they can do is change the weight up so much that you have to wait a long time between sets. I usually ask what they will be doing weight-wise beforehand.

Commander, I NEED to get my own gym. I want a set of Ivanko dumbbells and olympic plates. Then I start looking into the rubber gym mats and universal cable machines and my head starts spinning lol.

Train Hard.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:35 PM
thisdude should change his/her status!
Stranger

Closest thing I've done is tell someone that I have one set left. And I felt kinda like a jerk about that too. Lol.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:47 PM
RuSerious is pimp-a-licious
Middleweight

I've told them I have one set left and then it's all theirs. Also I was doing Military Press in the power rack and a guy asked then proceeded to unload my bar and move the bar down so he could do inverted rows then walked off without saying a work or reracking my weights when he came back I told him to take a hike.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:42 PM
superbilt is getting stronger than ever
Super-Heavyweight

Stuff like that makes me appreciate my shed even more. Before the shed was my basement at my last home. I have not been a member of a gym in over 3 years and do not miss it. I went to the gym once where my wife goes to a few months ago and I pretty much hated it.

My advice to you is if you can not have a home gym find a better gym where people are actually serious. I used to go and work at a gym and some of the dumbest things I have seen are people sitting on benches talking on cell phones, curls in the squat rack, and one time when I was deadlifting these dumb kids were standing right next to my barbell and I proceeded to do my set and nearly took one of the idiots out.

If you can get a home gym the basics are a power rack, barbell, bench, and plates. Look for the plates and barbell used if possible. Get some plywood to protect your floor. You do not need expensive mats you can find cheap ones that connect like I did and pay less than $50. When you build a home gym it seems expensive at first but think about 5 years of a gym membership at $300 a year and it does not seem so bad.
Once I stick to the program I am going to get really strong.
NO LIMITS!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ironbilt727

Last edited by superbilt; 11-15-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbilt View Post
Stuff like that makes me appreciate my shed even more. Before the shed was my basement at my last home. I have not been a member of a gym in over 3 years and do not miss it. I went to the gym once where my wife goes to a few months ago and I pretty much hated it.

My advice to you is if you can not have a home gym find a better gym where people are actually serious. I used to go and work at a gym and some of the dumbest things I have seen are people sitting on benches talking on cell phones, curls in the squat rack, and one time when I was deadlifting these dumb kids were standing right next to my barbell and I proceeded to do my set and nearly took one of the idiots out.

If you can get a home gym the basics are a power rack, barbell, bench, and plates. Look for the plates and barbell used if possible. Get some plywood to protect your floor. You do not need expensive mats you can find cheap ones that connect like I did and pay less than $50. When you build a home gym it seems expensive at first but think about 5 years of a gym membership at $300 a year and it does not seem so bad.
Can't agree more.