Achilles Tendon (left foot) - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Injury Analysis

Notices

Old 03-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Rhineheart is having a good day despite the weather.
Lightweight

Default Achilles Tendon (left foot)

Hello from cloudy Beijing, China.

I haven't been on in a while -- been a bit busy with school. Right now, I'm doing a semester abroad in China and I have to walk a whole lot to get anywhere. About a week ago my Achilles tendon started to hurt a little bit when I was walking, but I ignored it thinking that maybe I had just banged it and it was bruised. However, over the past two days, it has been almost debilitating. I took a trip to the Forbidden City two days ago and walked and walked for half the day and I think that is when the pain really started up.

There is no visual injury, no redness or bruising. And if I walk flat-footed on my heel the pain is pretty much gone. I feel like I must have hyper extended it or something? But I cannot remember anytime I hurt my ankle at all recently.

I'm at the point now where I have to limp. Also, since I am in China (I arrived a week ago), I really don't have access to any doctors.

My only idea is to stay off of it for a few days? I have no ice or anything here... So I don't really know what to do.

Oh also, I can sit here and move my ankle as much as possible in any direction and it doesn't hurt... it is only when I am walking.

Maybe soft tissue damage? I am really quite nervous since I can't find any real treatment.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tim

Oh, for anyone curious about China, I've got a little photo journal going (not intended to be advertising):
http://timstravels.travellerspoint.com/

Last edited by Rhineheart; 03-03-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:35 AM
HardCory is working towards a lean 200
Super Moderator

I went on WebMD hope this helps:

Tendinosis. This refers to tiny tears (microtears) in the tissue in and around the tendon caused by overuse. In most cases Achilles tendon pain is the result of tendinosis, not tendinitis. Some experts now use the term tendinopathy to include both inflammation and microtears. But many doctors may still use the term tendinitis to describe a tendon injury.

Treatment for mild Achilles tendon problems includes rest, over-the-counter pain medicine, and stretching exercises. You may need to wear well-cushioned shoes and change the way you play sports so that you reduce stress on the tendon. Early treatment works best and can prevent more injury.

Even in mild cases, it can take weeks to months of rest for the tendon to repair itself. Itís important to be patient and not return too soon to sports and activities that stress the tendon.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:18 AM
Rhineheart is having a good day despite the weather.
Lightweight

Thanks Cory--

That sounds like that's it. I actually realized that I have horrible shoes for all the walking I've done as well. Sadly though, I have to walk even to eat in China... So I have to just keep it wrapped and stuff I suppose.

Thanks again
Old 03-05-2009, 02:29 AM
Achillesreborn is using his HIT Jedi mind tricks
HIT Jedi

Had to post something...my name is in this thread lol
Old 04-22-2012, 07:13 PM
achillestend should change his/her status!
Stranger

Has anyone thought of going for Achilles tendon repair abroad? It may seem like a daunting experience but a number of people are choosing orthopaedic foot, hip and knee surgery abroad. The key issue here seems to be to find the right surgeon and reliable clinic. It is just something to consider.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:14 AM
saunterer should change his/her status!
Stranger

A swollen Achilles tendon or consistent pain in the Achilles tendon area is an all too common affliction for athletes the world over. Fortunately, there are a number of good Achilles tendon exercises that can help strengthen the affected area.