Question about legs...... - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 02:06 PM
slimshad7 is hoping hes gettin somewhere
Rookie

Default Question about legs......

Hi guys....

Can't believe it's been over a year since I've last been here......well,good thing is I'm still training,instead of 6 months on then giving up ;-)

Anyway,ive got a quick question

Basically I've read that if you don't train your legs it will affect your upper body gains.....I was wondering if there is really any truth to this????

Now I know most would say "you've gotta train legs or you'll look like a chicken"

At the moment I'm on a 5 day split

Mon/back
Tues/arms
Wed/legs
Thurs/shoulders
Frid/chest
Sat I just do bit of a overall light pump session,not heavy at all.
Sun/off

I was thinking about dropping legs and going straight to shoulders on a wed,then thurs would be chest.....Friday off.....then back to back on sat......sun/arms and so on.

My main question is after all this rambling is........I'm mostly interested in building my upperbody.....my arms are lacking big time!!!!,my shoulders are lacking,traps not to bad,and my chest is ok.

So I wanted to start training my arms and shoulders twice a week by dropping my leg workout.

Any advice would be great...
Many thanks to you all for previous advice I've had on here....otherwise I wouldn't be where I am now,
Mark.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Leg training does create total body growth by means on the positive hormonal environment from a good leg session not to mention the thickness you will put on your back from stabilizing heavy squats and deadlifts.

That said, if you want to focus on upperbody, by all means do it, but at least do some maintenance leg work. Do not drop leg training all together.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 08-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Rookie

Thank you commander.......

As it is Wednesday I've just finished my leg session.....like you said,maybe it's best to just maintain rather than drop all together...

Would you say squats 6-8 sets of 5-6 reps obviously almost hitting failure on the 5th or 6 would be enough to maintain????
Old 08-22-2012, 10:47 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimshad7 View Post
Thank you commander.......

As it is Wednesday I've just finished my leg session.....like you said,maybe it's best to just maintain rather than drop all together...

Would you say squats 6-8 sets of 5-6 reps obviously almost hitting failure on the 5th or 6 would be enough to maintain????
Once per week?

Yeah, that sounds good.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 08-23-2012, 01:18 PM
arian11 is 500 deadlift achieved, time for a 500 squat!
Light-Heavyweight

I mean I see plenty of dudes at the gym with huge upper bodies and tiny legs. They probably do some leg training but nothing that is actually good enough to put on some size. So I would say it is possible to put on upper body size with minimal leg training if that is what you really want.

"Technique is always the first place to begin when striving to improve at a specific skill."
My YouTube Page
Old 08-25-2012, 07:53 AM
ecko31s is officially in full beast mode again
Bantamweight

I mean I see plenty of dudes at the gym with huge upper bodies and tiny legs. They probably do some leg training but nothing that is actually good enough to put on some size. So I would say it is possible to put on upper body size with minimal leg training if that is what you really want.
Of course its possible to put on upper body size with minimal leg training if that is what you want. You will just be built like Johnny Bravo.lol
Old 08-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Rookie

Johnny bravo!!!!!.....pmsl ;-)

Thanks a lot for the advice guys....it's much appreciated