FSUpower's powerlifting journal - Page 5 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 04-02-2011, 08:49 PM
WorkoutMchne is Getting Stronger Everyday
Middleweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUpower View Post
In retrospective I realize that my lower back has always been a week link for me and that deadlifting heavy the day after squatting relatively heavy was just not a good idea.
It's a fine idea, and it's not heavy deadlifting, it's relative on an RPE scale at a submaximal RPE. If you got injured it's because you made a mistake in your technique. You have to stay tight and pull at the required RPE, if you think you were tight and using good form then next time use better form.
Florida Atlantic University
USAPL Raw Lifter
Old 04-04-2011, 12:33 AM
FSUpower should change his/her status!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hyJ5Y5YOKU&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOi5a0VjjD0&sns=em

Videos from Friday. Hips and back were tight. Still hit the reps. Pulled something really badly in my back the next day. But just looking at it as a mandatory deload. Hoping to rest and start back in with light stuff when my shoes get in. Assuming I feel good in the morning I am going to be doing bodyweight exercises, light foam rolling, and some really relaxed stretching.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:16 PM
bigbear6708 is working hard
Heavyweight

I think what Mike may have meant was that your deadlift form may have been off. Anyways, if its a "pull" right above a glute, then I did the same thing approx. 2.5 years go..took a while to fix itself. Only leg work I could do during that time was ISO-Lateral Leg Press. I recently went to a chiropractor, just for a general purpose checkup and alignment and told him about what happended. He said if I had went to him, I would have been walking around pain free that day...may wanna go get it checked out!

finally got camera, more vids to come!
Old 04-04-2011, 05:51 PM

I know my form is the problem, I can never keep my back flat when pulling conventional. I have a chiropractor lined up for tomorrow. Tentatively planning on hitting the big three with just a bar on Wednesday, pulling sumo for a little until I feel comfortable that I am healed and strong enough in the lower back to pull conventional. This is all just my hopes, I am listening to my body and won't be doing anything until medically cleared and safe.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:40 PM
WorkoutMchne is Getting Stronger Everyday
Middleweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear6708 View Post
I think what Mike may have meant was that your deadlift form may have been off.
We spoke yesterday, I think he's aware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUpower View Post
I know my form is the problem, I can never keep my back flat when pulling conventional.
We will dial this in without a problem. From watching your deadlift before, we can keep you tighter and your back flat relatively easily. We need to change your head position among a few other things. We can solve this quickly, and it will make you stronger almost immediately.
Florida Atlantic University
USAPL Raw Lifter
Old 04-05-2011, 04:58 PM

Chiropractor visit went well. Did some electric stim and popped my back in a few places that seemed to relieve a lot of pressure. He is reviewing my xrays tonight and I go in for a follow up and complete alignment if necessary tomorrow morning. Got no sleep last night because of the back so today is a recovery day. Milk, ice packs, 24, and sleep.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:40 PM

Back is still tore up. Chiropractor's goal is to get me healthy by Tuesday or Wednesday to minimize lost training time. Hit a super light bench yesterday. Just worked up to an easy double ay 235. Squats hurt too much to complete even with minimal weight. Probably pull light conventionals and heavier sumos until I feel right again. This time off is killing me. T minus 5 days until I go insane.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:50 AM

Chiropractic visit number 3. Most productive one so far. Actually got 5 uninterrupted hours of sleep beforehand and went in feeling a little better. To my surprise there was a lot less popping and the strange feeling of crazy pressure and relief were very different. A better range of motion came with this and this weekend I am doing very very light stretching and bodyweight exercises to get bloodflow into the muscles. One more check up Monday morning, hopefully getting cleared to train that same evening.

On another note, squat shoes are here. So this time off from squatting has now become even more agonizing. Figure if everything goes according to plan this coming week will be light, reintroduction of weight to the body with a new program starting the following Monday.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:55 PM

Been trying to balance between light recovery workouts and just lots of rest and hot tub therapy. I don't feel any issues related to my strength dropping. I just still have this pull in the upper glute and lower back on my left side.

One noticeable difference is that my lower back and hamstring flexibility has completely disappeared. Every time a Monday comes around I want to start a new program but since I get too sore to really lift two days in a row I am squatting sparingly (blasphemy) and benching whenever my body feels ready.

Really want to fix this so I can start working on my deadlift again. I realized that my deadlift is by far my weakest link. With an estimated mid 300 squat and a mid 200 bench I should be able to pull 405. This is no longer acceptable.

Might have a workout partner for the summer lined up though which would be awesome. Keeping my fingers crossed on that one.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:07 PM
bigbear6708 is working hard
Heavyweight

How is the injury coming along? Also, I was talking w/ Arian about shoes and he said you ordered the "cheap" ones. How are they so far? I need some squatting shoes, but dont really want to drop the money on Do-Wins if I dont have to.

finally got camera, more vids to come!