FSUpower's powerlifting journal - Page 4 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 03-29-2011, 11:22 AM
arian11 is 500 deadlift achieved, time for a 500 squat!
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUpower View Post
Monday- Squat day
265x5x5 had some issues dialing in form.

Some reps were much deeper than others, although my high squats are still easily below parallel, I just feel a different tightness and rebound with the different depths. I also noticed that I was having trouble sitting back as far as I wanted and felt myself come onto my toes a little bit. I think this is where squat shoes would really come in handy so I think I am going to try saving up for a pair. I also am having a problem with my wrists supporting the weight too much. I feel that when I first started squatting in this style I could actually pull the bar down with my hands and drive through it. Now I feeling far too much weight sitting in my hands. Have an entire checklist of things to work on next workout.

Oh and max set of pullups after the squats. Overall easy day, kind of getting used to the beaten up feel of the volume block. Almost done though, then onto a strength or power block of some sort. Night world.
Glad to see you are starting to feel some of the pain that I felt, hahahaha. My wrists hurt with the heavy weight too but I think it happens when I place the bar too low on my back. So basically my arms are holding the weight up rather than my back. Can't wait to see you in action when it comes to the 10x2s and 10x1s.

"Technique is always the first place to begin when striving to improve at a specific skill."
My YouTube Page
Old 03-29-2011, 06:22 PM
FSUpower should change his/her status!

I never deny the pain, but you noticed how we fight through it while everyone else quits. But luckily my hips don't seem to have taken the beating yours have. And you may be right about the bar placement because we squat low bar but with a narrow grip. Most low bar guys use a wider grip. But I liked the 10x2 squat workout so I am looking forward to the 300 for singles day. Any chance of you wanting to bench with me tonight? Bruce had to bail on the late workout and I couldn't go early.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:18 PM
arian11 is 500 deadlift achieved, time for a 500 squat!
Light-Heavyweight

Sorry, I'm still feeling alittle sore. I'm waiting till Wednesday to hit some new squat and bench PRs.

"Technique is always the first place to begin when striving to improve at a specific skill."
My YouTube Page
Old 03-29-2011, 08:15 PM

Alright, PRs are always a priority. I'll be at Famu on Wednesday so I'll make sure of that. You are totaling over 900, in case you didn't know.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:20 AM

Great bench day- Tuesday
Bench 205x4x8 Easy
Push press Worked up with doubles and triples to a double at 145

Tomorrow is squat and deadlift at Famu, pretty beat up but still pretty excited. Hitting 85% on squats for the first time with this program. Heavy weight finally.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:07 AM

Wednesday
Squat 280x3x8
Deadlift 275x1x3

Felt strong, resting up tomorrow and ready for some heavy squats on Friday. Night all.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:47 PM
WorkoutMchne is Getting Stronger Everyday
Middleweight

You are crushing it man. I'm sorry I couldn't make it by last night, I really wanted to too, just needed that time to do work. I will send you out a taper and the next training block soon. Just keep destroying things man, I hope to come by next week.
Florida Atlantic University
USAPL Raw Lifter
Old 04-01-2011, 04:43 PM

Got a pair of weightlifting shoes on the way. They are DoWin clones. Found them dirt cheap and wanted to give them a try, if I decide I really like them and need to upgrade I can do that this summer once I start working. Can't say how excited I am though. Last two workouts of the volume block today and tomorrow, shoes should get to my apartment towards the middle f the week which coincides with my birthday and then hopefully I can rest, hits some PRs, rest some more and then start another intense block.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:39 PM

Friday-Last squat workout of the volume block
Squat 300x1x10- Didn't feel like I was getting as low as usual (tight hips) but got all my reps. Knees took a beating though, hoping the shoes and the lowering of the volume will help with the knee pain, but if not, I'll deal with it. Great workout, very tired, deadlift and bench tomorrow.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:10 PM

So today was the worst day of the cycle. I hit my 315 deadlift and in the process did something to my back. Two of the people I was lifting with are in the medical profession and they don't think it is a disk but that it is just really heavy duty musclular damage. Can't really walk well. Horizontal and on a combination of Ibuprofen and Oxycontin. Not sure the real severity yet. Just know that it is the most painful weightlifting injury I have had to date. In retrospective I realize that my lower back has always been a week link for me and that deadlifting heavy the day after squatting relatively heavy was just not a good idea. I think this is why they actually don't deadlift on Smolov. But I am playing it by ear. Really pissed that I went and injured myself on the last day of the training cycle. I'll keep you guys posted but consider this an injury induced deload. I am anticipating a week deload before I try any weight, assuming I feel better.