fish oil pills - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > In Depth Nutrition

Notices

Old 03-09-2011, 01:03 PM
london should change his/her status!

Default fish oil pills

i bought some fish oil pills to have at work rather than having to bring cod liver oil to work with me.

Im slightly confused how much fat each pill actually contains?

It says each pill contains

cod liver oil 1000mg
EPa 110mg
DHA 100mg
Total omega 3 fatty acids 240mg

does that mean each pill has 1g of fat? So if i want 10grams of fat with my meal, am i taking 10 pills?
Or does it mean each pill only has 240mg of fat?

Thanks
Old 03-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Wizard24 is mixing up the diet.
Lightweight

Each pill has 1 gram of the oil in it. 240 mg of that are your 0mega 3 fats. I would think that 10 grams of fat from fish oil per meal is waaay more than you want to be having. You can supplement with the fish oil, but I would suggest you get most of your fat from a different source (olive oil, coconut oil, nuts, avacado, ice cream, okay maybe not ice cream but you get the point). Popping enough fish oil to get that much fat could make you grow gills. And you don't want to grow gills . . . girls don't find that stuff attractive at all.
"Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away." - Matthew 24:35

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." - Galations 5:22-23
Old 03-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Charles Izzo should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Yeah, you don't need to supplement with fish oil pills. I don't care what anyone says. You can get all the fat you need from eating other foods. If you like fish fats so much, how about eating fish with some of your meals?
Old 03-10-2011, 12:58 PM

I do eat a portion of salmon every day.
I bought the pills to give me 5 grams of fat with my meal at work, i cant really take oils with me to work, so fish oil pills seemed ideal. What else could i use?

I already have 3 eggs a day so didnt really want to add another egg in my diet.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Charles Izzo should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

The fish every day is probably plenty. I wouldn't obsess over such details with diet and macros. You aren't going to get it to be exact and that isn't necessary anyways.

A few things I have tried is a sandwich made with whole grain bread and natural peanut butter or almond butter or what ever. Add in a dairy product such as milk or yogurt for extra protein. To increase or decrease calories as necessary, spread the butter thinner or thicker, and/or make the dairy product regular or low-no fat.

Another option with snacks is to include some sort of nuts. I used to like to do that with yogurt and fruit. I try to get the yogurt with high protein, natural without all the processed junk added such as sugar or what ever.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:32 AM

My problem with fats is mainly due to the fact I am allergic to any type of nuts.

Venom said a while ago that even with carb/protein meals you should be having at least 4 or 5 grams of fat. My current work meal is brown rice with chicken breast, thus no fat. So i need something to give me 5 grams of fat with this meal.

Like i said oils (unpractical to take to work) and eggs(already having 3 a day and dont want any more) are out of the question. So the fish oil pills seemed ideal, but i do feel as if iam having too much fish oil a day - usually a serving of salmon and a large spoon of cod liver oil every day.

Any ideas what i could use to get the bit of fat with this meal?
Old 03-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Wizard24 is mixing up the diet.
Lightweight

Avocado, olives, whole milk/yoghurt/cottage cheese.
"Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away." - Matthew 24:35

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." - Galations 5:22-23
Old 05-06-2011, 04:27 PM
klosey is 51 visitors online right now ! Let's get that number higher!!
Super Moderator

Fish oil tablets and peanut butter are pretty much my only source of fats
Old 07-06-2011, 05:57 AM
jannet should change his/her status!

I think you can can get all the fat you require from consuming other foods. If you like fish fats so much, how about consuming fish with some of your meals
Old 11-21-2011, 04:27 PM
redbill73 should change his/her status!

Yeah, peanut butter is a great source of 'good fats'