Avoiding Muscle Atrophy - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > In Depth Nutrition

Notices

Old 08-12-2011, 07:29 PM
amino is probably eating
Lightweight

Default Avoiding Muscle Atrophy

Hey all,
Been a while hope everyone is doing well.

I fractured my left tibia last week and will now be in a cast for at least 6 weeks. I am really dreading any muscle mass that I may loose in my left calf during this time frame. =/ Bummer.

I plan to continue eating a high protein diet. Approximately 180 grams/day. I currently weigh about 180lbs and am around 10% body fat. I'm 6'1".

I also plan to supplement with Hydroxymethylbutyrate in addition to plenty of water, omega fats, multi-vitamins, and vitamin C. My activity rate will be pretty low, except for getting around on crutches.

I just wanted to ping the forum for some other ideas that I may be overlooking. So please feel free to offer your 2 cents.

thanks!
Old 08-15-2011, 01:32 PM
kaaijer is challenging himself again

Sounds good. Why not do some upper body exercises?
Old 08-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Wizard24 is mixing up the diet.
Lightweight

If you are not going to be using that muscle at all for a month and a half you are going to see some atrophy. A high protein diet will provide some minimal help in this area, but that can only take you so far without muscle stimulation. On the good side, once the cast is off and you can work it out again I should think that strength and mass will return quickly and maybe even shoot past where you are currently. Plus you can hammer away on calves a couple times a week and be back where you want to be in no time.
"Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away." - Matthew 24:35

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." - Galations 5:22-23
Old 11-21-2011, 04:16 PM
redbill73 should change his/her status!

Lots of upper body dumbell work you coul do if you don't want to take an extended break