ACSM had a grant for Kaatsu research. - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > Article Review and Discussion

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 08:43 PM
rubadub should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default ACSM had a grant for Kaatsu research.

Unfortunately it says "The 2011 Grant deadline was January 21, 2011"

Quote:
Doctoral Research in KAATSU Methodology
The American College of Sports Medicine Foundation has grant funding to support doctoral student research projects in KAATSU Training. Research projects will be funded in this cycle at a level of $5,000.

Preference will be given to doctoral students with conceptual knowledge of KAATSU Training methodology, but those new to KAATSU methodology are also encouraged to apply. Use of the Sato Sports Plaza/KAATSU equipment is required for this study. Replicating some of the Japanese studies in the US, as well as embarking on new areas for study of KAATSU Training is desired. Those awarded grants will have the opportunity to go to Japan to train and to secure the training equipment.
Though it also says
Quote:
KAATSU Training Research Grant
Please check back to this Web page often for RFP information regarding this grant.
unless the previous bit is the update.
http://www.acsm.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Procedures

http://www.ehow.com/list_6372547_sch...ce-majors.html
Quote:
Doctoral Student Research Grants offer up to $5,000 each year for doctoral students enrolled in full-time programs related to exercise science and sports medicine. The awards can be used for supplies, equipment and experimental subjects. The number of awards given each year varies depending on funding availability.

Students interested in studying Kaatsu methodology training are eligible to receive a special grant from ACSM. Kaatsu involves the use of surface pressure on the skin during training to restrict blood flow, which helps build muscle.

Doctoral students with previous experience with Kaatsu or those new to using Kaatsu can apply for a grant for Kaatsu-based research projects. Each award is worth $5,000, and the number of awards varies each year.

Students receiving this grant are required to use Sato Sports Plaza/Kaatsu equipment for their studies. ACMS will arrange for winners of this grant to travel to Japan for further Kaatsu training and to acquire the appropriate equipment.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:51 AM
chuckles_345 is attempting to get a PhD in nutritional sciences and an IFPA pro card at the same time!!!

You are correct on the Kaatsu training grant. As I understand it, Sato Sports Plaza (the company in Japan that makes the Kaatsu machine) wants to have labs in the US verify their data because some of their data is so good that it almost seems too good to be true. Most data that has come out on the US shows Kaatsu training is effective, however, not quite as great as some of the data from Japan makes you believe. There may be a cultural reason for this as in Asian cultures if an elder tells you to train even though it hurts, you will with no questions asked. In the US, this is not necesarily the case. In the end, I think it is good to have labs outside of the group that sells the Kaatsu equipment who are located in multiple countries and have different cultures verify the data.

Chuckles
Old 01-26-2011, 01:21 PM
will-work4andro is beastmode!!!
Professor of Pain!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles_345 View Post
You are correct on the Kaatsu training grant. As I understand it, Sato Sports Plaza (the company in Japan that makes the Kaatsu machine) wants to have labs in the US verify their data because some of their data is so good that it almost seems too good to be true. Most data that has come out on the US shows Kaatsu training is effective, however, not quite as great as some of the data from Japan makes you believe. There may be a cultural reason for this as in Asian cultures if an elder tells you to train even though it hurts, you will with no questions asked. In the US, this is not necesarily the case. In the end, I think it is good to have labs outside of the group that sells the Kaatsu equipment who are located in multiple countries and have different cultures verify the data.

Chuckles
in my opinion, there are more problems with the data coming out of the United States than that of Japan...i wish i could elaborate more, but that's what our current study is investigating at the moment...more to come in the following months

Muscle Hypertrophy occurs independent of exercise intensity
Old 01-26-2011, 09:08 PM
chuckles_345 is attempting to get a PhD in nutritional sciences and an IFPA pro card at the same time!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-work4andro View Post
in my opinion, there are more problems with the data coming out of the United States than that of Japan...i wish i could elaborate more, but that's what our current study is investigating at the moment...more to come in the following months
Looking forward to hearing more about this.

Tags
kaatsu, occlude, occluded, occlusion, restricted