Arian's Rise to Power - Page 7 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 01:52 PM
bigbear6708 is working hard
Heavyweight

nice looking lifts man. tell me, why did you decide to turn away from the mirrors when squatting? I have been playing with the idea too, just wanna see if we are on the same page! nice lifts though. looking forward to following the rest of this journal

finally got camera, more vids to come!
Old 12-20-2010, 02:41 PM
arian11 is 500 deadlift achieved, time for a 500 squat!
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear6708 View Post
nice looking lifts man. tell me, why did you decide to turn away from the mirrors when squatting? I have been playing with the idea too, just wanna see if we are on the same page! nice lifts though. looking forward to following the rest of this journal

Thanks man! When you look in the mirror, you are looking at a 2D representation of 3D space. So you have no depth perception. So you may think you are going low enough in the mirror when you actually aren't. The correct way, from what I've read, is to stare at something and see how your body changes in relation to it. That way you can feel the exercise and know how low you are going. Almost all competitions won't have mirrors for you to stare at and so practicing that way too is beneficial.

So I've just been practicing staring at the floor about 5-10 feet in front of me. Same thing with the deadlift. And with the bench press, I just stare at the same point on the ceiling.

"Technique is always the first place to begin when striving to improve at a specific skill."
My YouTube Page
Old 01-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Lifting weights has been on the back burner the past week. Been busy helping my dad with work, plus I had family in town for x-mas and new years. Drove back up to Tallahassee yesterday and I finally found a place to live but it won't be ready till Wednesday. So I have to sleep on my friends couch for now. Just registered for classes and it doesn't look too bad. Hour and 15 mins on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, 2 hours and 15 mins on Tuesdays, and I got Fridays off. Should give me plenty of time to study and get straight As and lift some heavy weights.

My goals for 2011, as of now, are to get straight As my 1st semester of grad school, obtain a 1000 lbs total and teach my puppy some cool new tricks. Adding 125 lbs to my total seems like the most difficult task, but it definitely can be done. Still not sure exactly what program I am going to be doing to start the year and what my goals will be for the next coming months. But I have definitely been thinking about it and have some ideas in mind. I'll keep you guys updated.

"Technique is always the first place to begin when striving to improve at a specific skill."
My YouTube Page
Old 01-09-2011, 11:56 PM
Light-Heavyweight

This is what I'm looking at for the general format of my routine:

Day 1:
Hypertrophy Squat
Light Hypertrophy Deadlift
Hypertrophy Front Squat
Pullups

Day 2:
Hypertrophy Bench Press
Hypertrophy Military Press
Hypertrophy Incline Press
Dips

Day 3:
Off

Day 4:
Heavy Squat
Light Deadlift
Back Assistance Work

Day 5:
Heavy Bench Press
Light Squat
Light Military Press
Tricep Assistance Work

Day 6:
GPP or Squat/Bench/Deadlift Technique Work

Day 7:
Off

Starts off with some lower body and upper body hypertrophy work. Then move on to some heavier lifts, but will probably stay away from failure on most sets. Trying to stick in as much squat and deadlift work as possible, for now, even if its light. This is because Mike has explained to me some new techniques for perfecting our squat and deadlift form and I want to perfect it, even if its just the bar. Will have to continue working on this to come up with some sets/reps/percentages. Percentages probably won't be concrete as I'm not 100% sure where my strength is right now and don't know how heavy I will be able to go after hypertrophy days earlier in the week.

My YouTube Page
Old 01-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Day 1 - Workout 1 - 1/10/11

Hypertrophy Squat:
55%, 135 lbs x 6 reps x 4 sets

Light Hypertrophy Deadlift:
50%, 185 lbs x 6 reps x 4 sets

Hypertrophy Front Squat:
95 lbs x 6 reps x 3 sets

Pullups:
BW x 6 reps x 3 sets

For squats, I am implementing a lower bar placement and a slightly narrower stance. These are 2 critiques Mike got from SSPT to improve his squat which means I must do them as well. For deadlifts, I am pointing my toes out a bit more, starting off closer to the bar, and focusing on squeezing the glutes once the bar passes my knees. I'm also trying to reset after each deadlift since the bar doesn't go back down to the same spot it started everytime. This became a chore because the FSU gym doesn't have rounded plates. So several times I had to get the bar parallel to me again and literally move away from the deadlift and set up again completely. It was quite annoying, to say the least. The percentages are run off of taking 10 lbs off my squat and deadlift maxes. Front squat was by feel and I was pretty tired at that point. Pullups were done basically to get my back alittle bit sore tomorrow. I feel that it helps me better in setting up for my bench press. I can feel my back muscles more and can build a more stable base to push off of. Eating a ton and relaxing until Hypertrophy Bench Press tomorrow.

My YouTube Page
Old 01-12-2011, 03:52 AM
Light-Heavyweight

Day 2 - Workout 2 - 1/11/11

Hypertrophy Bench Press:
55%, 115 lbs x 6 reps x 4 sets

Hypertrophy Military Press:
55%, 80 lbs x 6 reps x 4 sets

Hypertrophy Incline Bench Press:
95 lbs x 6 reps x 4 sets

Dips:
45 lbs x 6 reps x 3 sets

I forgot to mention in my last post that the percentages, reps, and sets are coming from Prilepin's Table. Using basically the lowest numbers to start with hypertrophy and probably somewhere in the middle to start with heavy days. Then I plan on moving up as the days/weeks go by. Everything felt easy today until the dips, that's why I only did 3 sets for dips. On a side note, I have some new stuff I hate about the FSU gym. First, the floor is too smooth/slippery and so my already non-existant leg drive for the bench press is completely non-existant. Second, their new bench racks are horrible and the bar sits in these giant J-hooks that basically make it impossible to unrack while staying tight. Not to mention that there are 6 bench racks and I saw 0 safety collars to use. Also, they are so close to each other and not much space to walk that people were walking basically over my feet as I was lifting. Quite annoying to say the least. I'm done venting, for now. Time to get ready for bed. Tomorrow is an off day but I might do some light eccentric-less training to help with recovery so I can hit the heavy days strong.

Side note:
Coach Carter was on this afternoon and the part where this quote was said was on. Pretty good quote.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

My YouTube Page
Old 01-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Day 4 - Workout 3 - 1/13/11

Heavy Squat:
80%, 195 lbs x 4 reps x 4 sets

Light Deadlift:
80%, 300 lbs x 1 rep x 6 sets

Squats felt heavy going into the last sets, but they still felt good. Still working on finding a good lower bar position. Did singles on deadlift so I didn't have to worry about resetting after each rep. Also, I'm not sure what I did during my warmup but the outer part on my left hip/thigh felt weird when I moved my leg side to side. It was fine going forward and back so squats and deadlifts felt perfect. Not sure what happened, but hopefully it won't effect any of my workouts.

My YouTube Page
Old 01-15-2011, 03:01 AM
Light-Heavyweight

Day 5 - Workout 4 - 1/14/11

Heavy Bench Press:
80%, 165 lbs x 4 reps x 4 sets

Heavy Military Press:
80%, 105 lbs x 4 reps x 4 sets

Hypertrophy Decline Press:
135 lbs x 10, 5, 3 reps

Rope Pressdown:
80 lbs x 10 reps x 3 sets

Heavy stuff felt good but I was dead by the time I go to decline. Should have started with a lower weight but its only assistance work so it doesn't matter that much. What I do tomorrow will depend on how I feel. Might go to the gym and just practice technique with light weight on the main lifts or do some sprints at the track or just take the day off and relax. Depends how my abductor or adductor, which ever it is, is feeling and if it's going to effect my workout.

My YouTube Page
Old 01-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Day 8 - Workout 5 - 1/17/11

Hypertrophy Squat:
60% (150 lbs) x 6 reps x 4 sets

Light Hypertrophy Deadlift:
60% (225 lbs) x 1 rep x 10 sets

Pullups:
BW x 8 reps x 3 sets

My abductor or whichever it is hurt alittle while squatting but felt fine while deadlifting. Squat numbers are basically a progressive overload from last week, went up 5%. Deadlift I changed to singles because of the issue I mentioned last week about not having rounded weight plates. Did more sets since the weight was light and used minimal rest between sets. Basically the time it took to re-setup and lift the weight up again. Was pretty tired so just finished off with some pullups and got out of there.

My YouTube Page
Old 01-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Light-Heavyweight

As some of you have seen, Commander has created a "Training Manifesto" for his goals in the coming year and beyond. I thought it was a great idea and decided to implement it myself. The general portion is taken straight from Commander's so I give credit to him. The specific I obviously changed up to my specific goals. So here it is:

Training Manifesto
General

I will first determine my overall goal; training can only make sense in the context of having a goal.

Once my goal is determined, I will determine the diet and training necessary to achieve that goal.

I will assess myself on an ongoing basis and adjust my program accordingly. I must be willing to eliminate what is not working even if I enjoy it and increase the volume of what is working, even if I don’t enjoy it. Training takes sacrifice.

If I repeat this ongoing process, there is no ceiling on my progress except my own genetics.

Specific

Goal:

I will prepare for:

February 19 & 20, 2011 -- 29th USAPL Florida State Open Bench Press/Deadlift/Push-Pull/Powerlifting Championships

October 2011 -- 8th Annual USAPL Florida Collegiate State Bench Press & Powerlifting Championships

In addition, I will obtain a 900 lbs. competition total.

My YouTube Page