Arian's Rise to Power - Page 5 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 11-04-2010, 03:16 AM
arian11 is 500 deadlift achieved, time for a 500 squat!
Light-Heavyweight

11/3/10 - Squat & Bench

Squat
180x3 for 3 sets

Paused Bench Press
140x3 for 3 sets

WorkoutMachine told me to do 3x3 at 70% and that's what I did. I finally remembered to squat with my back to the mirror since I won't have one for the meet on saturday. Felt weird and I wasn't 100% on my depth, but I think it was good practice. Did paused bench to practice that too. I go pretty low on my chest/abdominal area and apparently to be a legit lift, it has to be over the chest. So that gave me alittle trouble today, hopefully they won't really care to check that too much. Time to eat a bunch, pack, and then sleep. Working some tomorrow morning and then heading up to Tallahassee.

"Technique is always the first place to begin when striving to improve at a specific skill."
My YouTube Page
Old 11-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Good luck at the meet, do you know your openers?

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 11-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Yes, we had to put them on our entry forms. My maxes have been 405 deadlift, though not competition legal, 255 squat and 200 paused bench. So I believe I put down to open with a 385 deadlift, 235 squat, and 195 bench. We can change them at weigh in if we want. I might drop the bench opener to 185 just so its real easy and I have atleast 1 good lift. I know alot of the guys there are strong benchers so I'm sure I'll probably be in the bottom of the bench rankings. I just want to be competitive in the squat and deadlift and maybe be in the top range for deadlift. In the end though, its all about fun for me. I just want to have a good experience and watch Mike destroy the weights of course.

"Technique is always the first place to begin when striving to improve at a specific skill."
My YouTube Page
Old 11-04-2010, 08:35 PM
WorkoutMchne is Getting Stronger Everyday
Middleweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by arian11 View Post
Yes, we had to put them on our entry forms. My maxes have been 405 deadlift, though not competition legal, 255 squat and 200 paused bench. So I believe I put down to open with a 385 deadlift, 235 squat, and 195 bench. We can change them at weigh in if we want. I might drop the bench opener to 185 just so its real easy and I have atleast 1 good lift. I know alot of the guys there are strong benchers so I'm sure I'll probably be in the bottom of the bench rankings. I just want to be competitive in the squat and deadlift and maybe be in the top range for deadlift. In the end though, its all about fun for me. I just want to have a good experience and watch Mike destroy the weights of course.
Thanks for the support man, I know you will do well.

Now, may I humbly suggest that you open lighter? My suggestion would be this: Squat - 215, Bench - 175, Deadlift - 350. I know you think that is light, but your openers should really be your last warm-up, think of something you can triple. Also, keep in mind that, 1. This is a full meet, 2. I know you did a full meet at my house, but it was just you. Here it will be many people so it will take up more time and be more fatiguing, and 3. This is typical gym equipment, meaning that the bar sucks and is thicker than a bar we would see at a real meet, the knurling is trash, and there is no flex in it.

Just my thoughts, personally I would take openers that are a joke just to get in the meet. At least that is the plan for myself.
Florida Atlantic University
USAPL Raw Lifter
Old 11-05-2010, 02:13 AM
Light-Heavyweight

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of dropping them too because I know at the bench competition I did last year, I got stuck doing 195, 200, and 205 in about a 5 min period. Since nobody else was really lifting at that weight it messed me up going so fast and I think I could have hit 205 if I had gone lighter for my 1st attempt. So I will probably listen to you since you are more experienced than me and drop my openers.

My YouTube Page
Old 11-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Mike and I finished our meet a hour or so ago. I'm too tired to type up how everything went. Maybe I'll explain it tonight or tomorrow. They gave awards to the top 3 in each weight class but I got 4th.

My YouTube Page
Old 11-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Alright, so I finally have some free time to talk about the competition this past weekend. First off, it was a ton of fun, the most fun I've ever had lifting. It was a nice mixture of serious and casual strong guys and a decent audience. People thought Mike, me, and some other guys were crazy at first because we were yelling during the lifts while everyone else was being quiet. But by the end, everyone started getting into it.
Anyways, I weighed in exactly at 170 which put me in the 181 weight class. There were 3 flights depending on how heavy your squat was, so I was in the 1st flight and Mike was in the 3rd flight.
First came up the squat. I went light, 215 lbs, and made sure to go below parallel so that I would have a good lift under my belt. It was easy and decided to go up 20 lbs for my 2nd attempt. I saw the judges were giving good lifts for going just to parallel. So I didn't go as low for my 2nd attempt and I got a good lift on 235. Felt alittle slow out of the hole but exploded at the end to where the bar came off my back some. Mike suggested I go 250 for my 3rd attempt but I wanted to do 255 to match my PR. Everything felt good but I guess I was too slow coming out of the hole and felt I couldn't finish and dropped the bar behind me, no lift. I honestly can't tell you what I did right or wrong during the lift. It's hard to explain, it was all like instinct. I don't even know if my eyes were open or not. I just felt like I was going to black out and I dropped it.
Moved on to the bench. Hit 175 for 1st attempt but it felt alittle hard. Went 190 for 2nd attempt and it felt much easier. Decided to close with 200 and I struggled alot but finished the lift. Got 2 good lifts but 1 judge said my butt came up and gave me a no lift. I know I flexed my glutes when I went to push the bar, but I don't think I came off the bench. I'll have to see it on video to see for sure.
At this point, I was sure I was way behind the top 2 guys in my class because they were in a later flight so I knew they had a strong squat. I didn't know how close I was to the 3rd place guy but I wanted to make a move where I was strongest, the deadlift. 1st attempt was 350 and it was easy. 2nd attempt was 385, which is my max for a competition legal deadlift and it was quite difficult. I wasn't sure what to do for my final attempt, I had done 405 before, but with a hitch. The rest of the people in my flight were deadlifting in about the low 300 range. They were all actually quite surprised as to how strong my deadlift was. I decided to attempt 400. I got the bar to just about past my knees and then I guess I felt I couldn't finish and dropped it. A bunch of people thought I had it and wondered why I stopped. Once again, I can't tell you. It was all instinct again, I don't know if my chest was up or if my back was straight or if I was even breathing or my eyes were open or not.
So in the end, I finished 4th in my weight class, don't know my overall lbs/lbs position. I'm not sure how they calculated the pound for pound numbers but here is what it looked like on the paper.

3rd 172 lbs 870 total 272 lbs/lbs
4th(me) 170 lbs 810 total 256 lbs/lbs

It would've been nice to know how close I was to 3rd place and if I had gotten the 30 extra lbs if I would've hit my PRs in bench and squat would've given me 3rd place or not. But there is no point dwelling on the past.
There are only a couple things I would like to review. One would be they videotaped pretty much everyone's attempts and I want to see mine to see my form and everything. Another is to figure out a way to be more aware of myself and the lift during the actual attempt. A similar thing happens to me when I play sports, I don't think very much and become very instinctual. I can go squat by myself right now and my form will be very good when the weight is lift. But as soon as I start hitting near maximal weight, I lose focus I guess and don't remember all my cues. I guess practicing the lifts over and over again to set the correct motor patterns will fix that in the end. And finally, I need to re-evaluate my food/liquid intake going into a meet because most of the time I felt like I was going to puke and/or pass out.
Anyways, this is a lot of writing so I'll try and stop it here. If they put up the video of the competition, I'll try and get my lifts up here for everyone to see. My goal is to deload this week on Tuesday and Friday, but we'll see if work will actually allow me to do it on those days.

My YouTube Page
Old 11-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Good write up, sounds like fun, enjoy your deload.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 11-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Light-Heavyweight

Thanks Commander. It was a ton of fun even though it was a bit disappointing. Heh, my whole body has been dead, especially my back, since the meet. Doesn't help all the manual labor I have to do at work too. I can't wait to do some relaxing squats and bench presses tonight.

My YouTube Page
Old 11-12-2010, 03:07 AM
Light-Heavyweight

Just want to give a side update on school. So I applied to FSU Graduate School for Mechanical Engineering and got rejected because my GPA wasn't high enough. But, they told me I could apply as a Non-Degree Seeking Student and take a semester of classes and then re-apply. I applied for that and got accepted. So I can take that offer and ace like 4 classes which should get me in and the credits will count towards my master's. Or I can try to apply else where. UCF's deadline isn't till December 1st.
As of now, I think I'm going to go with this offer. I know Tallahassee and the FSU professors and I'm fine with going back there. Now I just have to find somewhere I can afford, has a spot open for the Spring semester, and allows pets. Gonna be a bit tough to find, but I think I can find something. Surprisingly, I can't wait to go back to school. Being back home and working pretty much every day has been quite miserably. I'm ready to go back to learning some interesting stuff and having more free time for lifting some heavy weights. I'll keep you guys updated. I plan on doing another deload tomorrow.

My YouTube Page