need shoulder pain advice, help!! - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Injury Analysis

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 07:20 PM
craigmccolm is a proud uncle, a little baby nephew

Unhappy need shoulder pain advice, help!!

hi everyone,

I went to the gym today and was not able to press my usual load as i have a sharp pain in the top of my left arm.

This pain was not present when i went to the gym last (3 days ago) and i dont realy notice it when im relaxed.

I noticed it on the bench press the most and it feels like the pain is shooting down my tricep.

I have done some slow push ups to try and locate the pain better and think that it may be my rear delt or rotator cuff.

After the slow push ups i was unable to raise my arm above my head for about 5 mins without it being painful which makes me think its my shoulder.

also when i lift a heavy dumbell with my arm i can feel the pain again, i can feel it twinge when i drive as well, especially when changing gear (european car)

It seems to be more concentrated down the back of my arm and the pain tends to be worse when im contracting my muscle.

Once contracted it is not as painful, and then when i relax the muscle i feel it again.

I have recently started using free weights for bench press and standing military press as opposed to a smith machine and think this may have contributed to the injury.

I thought that maybe it was my stabilizing muscles getting used to the new movements.

I have never realy trained with dumbells so maybe i have realy week stabilizers.

Im not quite sure what to do with reguards to my training as i have been making good progress and dont realy want to have to be out of the gym for any length of time.

Any advice would be greatly apreciated.

many thanks
Old 08-18-2010, 04:03 AM
DannyOLP is worried about the glycemic index of his PWO shake so late at night
Stranger

The rear delt is part of the rotator cuff and it certainly sounds like that may be the problem. If you've never isolated the shoulder muscles in your workouts the problem could very well be that you've switched to free weight compound exercises, which put much more pressure on the smaller muscles. As far as I know, the rear delt is the most ignored muscle in the shoulder and therefore more prone to injury.

I'm not a doctor so I can't say for sure whether you tore or sprained something, nor do I feel comfortable telling you to stop or continue your training. I will say though that there is a fine line between soreness and pain, and pain is never a good thing.

If you continue your training my advice is to stop the compound free weight exercises like bench and arnold presses. In the meantime try isolation exercises for the three heads of the shoulder as to build up your strength and endurance. Any motion that involves your arms being parallel to the ground with your hands in front of you and brought back as to form an even line with your arms will hit the rear delt. You can hit this on a flat or incline bench if you lay on your stomach, make sure your arms are even and your hands are in front of your chest. Just be careful and watch your form =]
Old 08-18-2010, 01:47 PM
niggles is pumped!
Light-Heavyweight

shooting pain is normally due to nerve compression. this could be due to tight muscles. try stretching your shoulder muscles, triceps and biceps. hopefully this can help.

and just a correction, the rear delt is not part of the rotator cuff muscles. just letting ya know
Old 08-18-2010, 10:37 PM
DannyOLP is worried about the glycemic index of his PWO shake so late at night
Stranger

youre right, whoops! sorry! =X
Old 08-18-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
shooting pain is normally due to nerve compression. this could be due to tight muscles. try stretching your shoulder muscles, triceps and biceps. hopefully this can help.

and just a correction, the rear delt is not part of the rotator cuff muscles. just letting ya know
yeah! i definately neglect to stretch very often. thanks for the advice
Old 08-18-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyOLP View Post
The rear delt is part of the rotator cuff and it certainly sounds like that may be the problem. If you've never isolated the shoulder muscles in your workouts the problem could very well be that you've switched to free weight compound exercises, which put much more pressure on the smaller muscles. As far as I know, the rear delt is the most ignored muscle in the shoulder and therefore more prone to injury.

I'm not a doctor so I can't say for sure whether you tore or sprained something, nor do I feel comfortable telling you to stop or continue your training. I will say though that there is a fine line between soreness and pain, and pain is never a good thing.

If you continue your training my advice is to stop the compound free weight exercises like bench and arnold presses. In the meantime try isolation exercises for the three heads of the shoulder as to build up your strength and endurance. Any motion that involves your arms being parallel to the ground with your hands in front of you and brought back as to form an even line with your arms will hit the rear delt. You can hit this on a flat or incline bench if you lay on your stomach, make sure your arms are even and your hands are in front of your chest. Just be careful and watch your form =]
hey,
Thanks for taking a look. I apreciate the advice. will definately look to strengthen my shoulder as a whole. Might pay a little extra attention to the rear delts. Will work on my bench form aswell me thinks. Cheers
Old 09-02-2010, 01:03 AM
Birthright1 is The Master Blaster PUMP Master
Light-Heavyweight

However you decide to move forward in testing what will cure your aliment please be careful. Should pains can quickly lead to months and months off due to an injury that could have been avoided. My suggestion is take it slow and light for a while to make sure you do not have something serious going on that is just now peaking it's head out. Hopefully it is just lack of stretching pre-workout or a good cool down routine to loosen everything back up. I doubt that form will be the issue here due to the nature of the shoulder muscles. It seems you have been working out for some time so if it was a form issue it would have been a problem way before now. However it is always a good idea to revisit the mirror or have a buddy who knows whats up to watch you to make sure you have not left your proper form due to lack of attention to detail; happens to all of us sooner or later. Whatever it is i hope you recover quickly and find out what the solution is. If it just goes away on its own i would still suggest to take it slow for a couple weeks to make sure it does not reappear in full force. Hope this helps. The Pump Master
Lo, they do call to me
They bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla
Where the brave may live
Forever.

"Either you lift it or you don't."
Jesse Dawson Marunde
Old 09-04-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birthright1 View Post
However you decide to move forward in testing what will cure your aliment please be careful. Should pains can quickly lead to months and months off due to an injury that could have been avoided. My suggestion is take it slow and light for a while to make sure you do not have something serious going on that is just now peaking it's head out. Hopefully it is just lack of stretching pre-workout or a good cool down routine to loosen everything back up. I doubt that form will be the issue here due to the nature of the shoulder muscles. It seems you have been working out for some time so if it was a form issue it would have been a problem way before now. However it is always a good idea to revisit the mirror or have a buddy who knows whats up to watch you to make sure you have not left your proper form due to lack of attention to detail; happens to all of us sooner or later. Whatever it is i hope you recover quickly and find out what the solution is. If it just goes away on its own i would still suggest to take it slow for a couple weeks to make sure it does not reappear in full force. Hope this helps. The Pump Master
Thanks. I apreciate the advice. I havent been training for two weeks now. It seems to not be painful any more but im just worried that as soon as i get back in the gym its gonna start hurting again. I hate not being in the gym. Its like im undoing all the hard work ive put in. Il be back in there tomorrow. Gonna take it slow and steady. Il post how i get on. thank you all for the good advice. Its so nice to know that there is a comunity of people out there willing to help
Old 09-29-2010, 02:29 PM
toddbgmlw25 should change his/her status!
Stranger

We canít deny that whoever works out can get injured. Some of these injuries come in the form of muscle pulls, sprains, tendonitis or joint problems. Most of us continue to train while injured, though this is not good since it will worsen the case. Taking rest and treatment can heal these injuries, though.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Big Ray should change his/her status!
Rookie

On the subject of shoulder issues, perhaps you guys can give me some quick advice. I have torn both of my rotator cuffs and the labrum is also torn on the top and bottom of my left shoulder. I am aware that I need surgery, etc.

Are there any weightlifting exercises I can do that won't impact my shoulders other than squats? I am just looking for something I can do to maintain a little bit of muscle until I can have the surgery (which I may not have for 12-18 months). No matter how I try to work my arms and back I still feel shoulder pain and would like to come up with something to work them without strain on my shoulders.

Are there any options or am I done until after surgery?

Thanks.

Tags
injury, shoulder