Arian - Nothing to do but lift - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 05-08-2010, 01:33 PM
arian11 is 500 deadlift achieved, time for a 500 squat!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Arian - Nothing to do but lift

So I finally graduated and now I am in limbo waiting for the next step in my life. I've been applying for jobs here and there to see what kind of offers I get. Until then, I have nothing to do all summer. This means I can put 100% of my effort to lifting for once. Hopefully this means I can get my lifting, nutrition, and all other aspects of lifting as close to perfection as possible. I signed up for a Gold's Gym membership yesterday and will once again be slightly limited, like no chalk, but I should be fine.

As for my lifting routine, I am going to stick with Workout Machine's 6 week non-linear workout routine and run through it a few times. It was very effective for my strength building and I put on some size with it too. In addition, its a 5 times a week workout routine so I will be in the gym a bunch so I won't get bored doing nothing all day. I am going to put some more effort into the assistance exercises and the hypertrophy days so I can try and put on some more size with my strength. The first time around I would do only like 1 or 2 assistance exercises, this time around I'm going to try for 3 or 4. I am also going to do them with more of a hypertrophy focus with the 8-12 rep range and going slower to get that time under tension up. I'm going to try to do some more occlusion lifting as well.

For nutrition, I think I'm going to start off with a mini cut. About 1 or 2 weeks of eating clean food and doing a bit of cardio to cut off some excess fat. After that I will return to a bulk so my strength and size can go up. My dinner meal is probably the meal I have to fix. Usually I'll have a bunch of pasta and chicken or a whole frozen pizza. I got to get back to having some chicken with mixed vegetables so I can control my insulin spike before bed.

Anyways, I won't bore you guys anymore with the details. I already deadlifted yesterday and today is supposed to be my off day but I may be out of ton next week. So I am going to lift for like 6 days straight and then take 2-3 days off. This way I won't miss any lifting days. Getting ready to go do hypertrophy bench right now. I'll post up yesterday and todays workout when I come back and what my goals are going to be.

"Technique is always the first place to begin when striving to improve at a specific skill."
My YouTube Page
Old 05-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Gregsimo is on a one way road to mass gaining
Middleweight

Good stuff man, are you still doing the dynamic effort days inbetween hypertrophy and strength workouts?

Also congrats on graduating.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsimo View Post
Good stuff man, are you still doing the dynamic effort days inbetween hypertrophy and strength workouts?

Also congrats on graduating.

Yea, I am still going to follow the routine that Mike created. My raw squat went up 30 lbs, raw dead went up 60 lbs, and raw bench went up 5 lbs in one 6 week cycle. So I don't want to mess with what works, I just need to evaluate why my bench isn't going up much, it could be my form.

"Technique is always the first place to begin when striving to improve at a specific skill."
My YouTube Page
Old 05-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Light-Heavyweight

5/7/10 - Deadlift (DE Squats)

Deadlift-
315/6
335/4
355/3 (PR)

Dynamic Effort Squat superset with Pullups:
Squat-
135/3
135/3
135/3

Pullups-

DB Bent-Over Row-
70/12
70/7
70/7

Hanging Leg Raises-

My YouTube Page
Old 05-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Light-Heavyweight

5/8/10 - Hypertrophy Bench

Bench Press-
145/15 (PR)
125/10
125/8

DB Incline Press-
45/10
45/8
45/6

Dips-

Hanging Leg Raises-

I was going to do some occlusion work at home the past two days, but my dumbbells are in my roommates room and he sleeps all day. So hopefully I'll remember to take them out of his room today when he wakes up so I can do some occlusion work in the days to come. Gold's bench press felt a bit weird. I think the padding is more than the benches at the university gym. It'll take some getting use to, but I'll be fine. Get to relax for the rest of the day, maybe play some basketball. Hypertrophy Squat & DE Deads tomorrow.

My YouTube Page
Old 05-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Gregsimo is on a one way road to mass gaining
Middleweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by arian11 View Post
Yea, I am still going to follow the routine that Mike created. My raw squat went up 30 lbs, raw dead went up 60 lbs, and raw bench went up 5 lbs in one 6 week cycle. So I don't want to mess with what works, I just need to evaluate why my bench isn't going up much, it could be my form.
Its a familiar story here, my squats rocketed by 50+lbs yet bench only went up about 20lbs in 12 weeks. I'm now at the point of being at the ideal 100:85:65 strength ratio so i hope that for every 20lb increase in DL and squat i can match it with 10-15 in bench.
Try varying the speed work on bench, when i did i hit my current PR the workout after. If you dont have bands or chains handy at your gym try doing ramping sets starting at 40% of 1RM then work upto 70-75% of 1RM all for 3 reps and take about 6 sets to hit the 70% 1RM mark. It might improve your bench after a couple of cycles.

First and foremost though identify the weakness, whether it be form breakdown, a sticking point in the lift eg 'in the hole', middle or lockout. Then take it from there.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsimo View Post
Its a familiar story here, my squats rocketed by 50+lbs yet bench only went up about 20lbs in 12 weeks. I'm now at the point of being at the ideal 100:85:65 strength ratio so i hope that for every 20lb increase in DL and squat i can match it with 10-15 in bench.
Try varying the speed work on bench, when i did i hit my current PR the workout after. If you dont have bands or chains handy at your gym try doing ramping sets starting at 40% of 1RM then work upto 70-75% of 1RM all for 3 reps and take about 6 sets to hit the 70% 1RM mark. It might improve your bench after a couple of cycles.

First and foremost though identify the weakness, whether it be form breakdown, a sticking point in the lift eg 'in the hole', middle or lockout. Then take it from there.

Yea at my old gym you could rent out weight belts and dip belts but thats all they had. I just started this new gym and I noticed they have dip belts as well as a couple of bands just lying around in the weight room. So I'll have to check out those bands and maybe try them out on my speed work. Thanks for the tips.

My YouTube Page
Old 05-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Light-Heavyweight

5/9/10 - Hypertrophy Squats (DE Deads)

Squat:
155/11
155/10
155/10

DE Deads:
135/1
135/1
135/1
135/1
135/1

Leg Extensions:
85/15
85/13
85/13

Occluded Single-Leg Standing Calf Raises:
BW/25
BW/20
BW/20
BW/16

Lower back was a bit sore still and the squatting didn't help. So I did some extra light dynamic deads and only did 5 sets. Still wanted to work out my legs without straining my lower back so I headed to the leg extension machine and did some sets. I then went home and did some occluded calf raises on my stairs, they felt good. Just finished stretching out the body, hopefully I won't be very sore tomorrow. Hypertrophy Military tomorrow.

My YouTube Page
Old 05-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Light-Heavyweight

5/10/10 - Hypertrophy Military Press

Military Press-
110/12
95/10
95/10
95/10

Close Grip Bench Press-
95/11
95/11
95/10
95/9

Dips-

Occluded DB Tricep Extensions-
20/21
20/15
20/13

Lower back was still a bit sore so I did my military press seated to keep some stress off of it. I was planning on doing deadlifts tomorrow and DE Bench on wednesday before I got out of town for a few days, but I don't think I'm going to make it. My body is just too sore and tired from 4 straight days of lifting and won't make it 6 straight days. So I think I'm going to take tomorrow off, deadlift wednesday, and then get back on track after my trip. I'll have 2 dynamic days and a off day coming up after deadlift so I can always compact the dynamic days into one day or use the off day. Other than that, everything else seems to be going fine.

My YouTube Page
Old 05-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Light-Heavyweight

5/12/10

So I got a call the other day from Gold's Gym about a free fitness assessment and I decided to try it out. It was today at 9am, so I was going to do that and then do my deadlift routine but I never got to deadlifting because the assessment was pretty tiring.

Basically warmed up on the bike (bike > running according to Dr. Wilson) to start. Then we did like a pre-fatique on the leg extension machine, two sets. The first real exercise was a machine squat, focusing on 60 secs of squatting, two sets. Then proceeded to do 60 secs of holding a wall squat on only my toes. Moved on to two sets of seated calf raises, 30 reps each and then finished off with one set of back extensions. Did some occlusion DB curls when I came home.

It was short but intense because he barely let me rest. It was nice to do something different. Afterwards we talked some about parts of a good workout routine, various training certifications, and then his sales pitch on getting a personal trainer. It didn't sound too bad because I've always worked out by myself and its always good to have someone above you teaching you and having someone below you for you to teach. The only problem is obviously the money part. I can do 90 days of $30/session or try out 3 sessions for $99. I told him I'd think about it and meet up with him on Monday because I'm going out of town. I feel like I should be able to get into any shape I want by myself with my knowledge and everything we have on ABC. But it would also be nice to have a training partner that would push me hard and have me learn some new things, I'm always interested in learning new methods and techniques. I'll have to think about it some and see if its worth shelling out the money for.

My YouTube Page