Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 09:12 PM
murphm24 should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Seeking advice-my diet and workouts

I posted this in the intro section but wanted to post here for some feedback:

Hi Fellas,

I've been checking the site out for about 2 months now and finally decided to sign up and pariticpate. This site is well organized and seems to have real experts dispensing advice that have actually walked the walk!

Little about me- i've always been the tall and skinny guy that can eat whatever i want in whatever portions i want and never seem to put on weight (most people can't believe i'm upset about this!). I'm 32 y/o, 6'1, 177, about 14% body fat. For the past 5 years or so i've hit the weights on and off, usually staying committed for 3 months or so at a time and then becoming discouraged at my lack of results. Up to this point i have been following the Body for Life program and while that got me in good overall shape, I don't think the routine sets up well for mass building, for my genetics and frame at least. Or maybe i've just not been eating enough or pushing myself enough in the gym. Even still, i would have expected to see more results than i have.

I think i've learned a fair amount of information regarding general fitness and lifting principles in that time but when i started checking this site out my eyes opened a little bit to some things i might have been missing.

My goal is to get to 190 pounds by July. I need work in all areas but i think my shuolders are my weakest body part so i want to broaden them and build some mass there. Maybe I'm not aiming high enough with this goal but with my past experience i would be elated to get to 190. After that, i'll reset the bar and reach higher....

Maybe this isn't the right place for this, but here's been my routine for the past 3 weeks or so:

Monday

dumbell bench press- 10,8, 4-6 to failure, immediately followed by dbell flat bench flyes for 15 reps
dbell shoulder press- same as above, with dbell lateral raises for 12-15 reps or as many as i can maintaining good form
assisted pullups- same as above, followed by seated rows for 12-15 reps
dips, same as above, followed by close grip bench press 12-15 reps to failure
barbell curls, same as above, ending the last set with a few cheat reps on the way up and going as slow as i can on the way down on 2-3 reps to failure

tuesday- HIIT for 20 minutes

Wednesday

Machine Squats, same rep routine as above, followed by leg extensions 12-15 reps to failure
seated leg curls, same routine followed by dbell deadlifts, 12 reps
standing calf raises, holding a dbell in each hand, using a plank or plate for elevation off the ground, same routine, followed by 12 reps on a calf press machine at my gym (not sure the name of it but basically it's an incline bench)

Thurs.- i had been doing cardio on this day but have recently stopped with the thought that maybe the extra cardio was hindering my ability to add mass

Friday- upper body workout same as Monday

Sat.- off

Sunday- cardio

The following week i would do lower body twice and upper once and continue to alternate each week.

As for my diet, a typical day looks like this (i hit the gym first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, usually drinking half a cup of coffee on the way- is this a bad thing considering my goals?)

Meal 1-1 whole egg, 4 egg whites, 3/4 cup oatmeal (on cardio days) and glass of water mixed with one scoop (13g) protein, or protein shake with 45g protein, mixed with water and either 3/4 cup oatmeal or a fruit smoothie mixture.

Meal 2- 1 cup cottage cheese mixed with fat-free yogurt or piece of fruit

Meal 3- business lunch out or if not i try to have a tuna sandwich on whole wheat

Meal 4- ready-to drink shake with 42g protein or cottage cheese/yogurt mix

Meal 5- flank steak, baked potato, salad or green beans

Meal 6- 1 cup cottage cheese and a banana

One disadvantage i have is that at the moment i don't have a workout partner so it makes getting to failure on some exercises more challenging. until i find a good partner, any advice on how to work around this?

I'm very, very, much on the novice scale here so i will probably be taking more help and advice than i'll be giving for a while but always willing to share experiences and support others however possible.

any thoughts on my current routine and meal plan would be welcomed and appreciated.

Murph
Old 05-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Ellingham is getting lean
Middleweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphm24 View Post
Little about me- i've always been the tall and skinny guy that can eat whatever i want in whatever portions i want and never seem to put on weight (most people can't believe i'm upset about this!).

That is because it is not true, if you eat enough you will put on weight many people who dont put on weight and eat whatever they want realy over estimate how much they actually eat. I used to be 134lbs i ate what ever i wanted all the time and never gained anything, then i realy started eating and got to 168lb.

As for my diet, a typical day looks like this (i hit the gym first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, usually drinking half a cup of coffee on the way- is this a bad thing considering my goals?)

Terrible, i would only do cardio on an empty stomach but would have some BCAA's beforehand, turn your breakfast into your pre workout meal so oats, whey with some fruit.

Meal 1-1 whole egg, 4 egg whites, 3/4 cup oatmeal (on cardio days) and glass of water mixed with one scoop (13g) protein, or protein shake with 45g protein, mixed with water and either 3/4 cup oatmeal or a fruit smoothie mixture. (pre workout)

Meal 2- protein shake with a malto/dex search the journal section and look at the window of opportunity to see what a postworkout shake should look like (post workout)

Meal 3- business lunch out or if not i try to have a tuna sandwich on whole wheat, this meal needs a higher level of carbs

Meal 4- ready-to drink shake with 42g protein or cottage cheese/yogurt mix

Meal 5- flank steak, baked potato (sweet potato?), salad or green beans

Meal 6- 1/2 cup greek yogurt with 1/2 cup cottage chesese and a TBSP of natural peanut butter (Jinx will aprove)
you want to gain weight but eat barely any carbs, i eat more carbs than you and i'm cutting. Throw more complex carbs in there and from the looks of things you need more fats. Calculate what the total calories/protein/carbs and fats are then i can help more.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Stranger

great feedback Ellingham. Being around family and friends that are trying to lose weight and cut back on their calories i suppose has given me the impression that i'm eating a lot but clearly that's not the case, considering what i'm trying to accomplish. I'll put together a caloric count as you suggest and post it for review. The past few days i've focused on making sure i consume 1.5g protein per pound of body weight but it sounds like i need to keep that up but also boost my carb intake.

As for the pre-workout and postworkout, i did pull up the spreadsheet on the ideal post-workout shake and will implement that immediately. first thing in the morning is the best time for me to work out- is there a time frame i should wait after consuming meal one before i hit the gym? I need to be at the office by 9 at the latest so i typically get up around 6:15, spend 50 mins or so in the gym, and come back home for my post-workout shake. Are you saying i should have the whey/oats/fruit combo right before my workout and then have the postworkout shake right after the gym?

thanks again for your help.

Murph
Old 05-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Gregsimo is on a one way road to mass gaining
Middleweight

try and finish your oats+whey(fruit optional) around 30-45 mins before your workout. That way you wont feel bloated while working out. Also have semi or full fat milk with the oats and whey for added calories and protein.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Ellingham is getting lean
Middleweight

Quote:
great feedback Ellingham. Being around family and friends that are trying to lose weight and cut back on their calories i suppose has given me the impression that i'm eating a lot but clearly that's not the case, considering what i'm trying to accomplish. I'll put together a caloric count as you suggest and post it for review. The past few days i've focused on making sure i consume 1.5g protein per pound of body weight but it sounds like i need to keep that up but also boost my carb intake.

As for the pre-workout and postworkout, i did pull up the spreadsheet on the ideal post-workout shake and will implement that immediately. first thing in the morning is the best time for me to work out- is there a time frame i should wait after consuming meal one before i hit the gym? I need to be at the office by 9 at the latest so i typically get up around 6:15, spend 50 mins or so in the gym, and come back home for my post-workout shake. Are you saying i should have the whey/oats/fruit combo right before my workout and then have the postworkout shake right after the gym?

thanks again for your help.

Murph
Get up eat your breakfast then like an hour or so later hit the gym, i personally can't workout till like an hour an a half after eating but everyone is different, then before you go to the gym put your protein, malto/dex in your shaker cup then when you finish working out throw in your water and flavourings (if using unflavoured whey) shake and enjoy.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:08 AM
Stranger

This week i've focused on eating more in general, and specifically more carbs to build mass. I've added whole wheat bread slices with AN Peanut Butter and banana slices as a supplement throughout the day. I've also switched to 1% milk instead of skim and am drinking more of that than before. My bodyweight is up 3 pounds since last week, as measured by my weight upon waking.

I also stared the Starting Strength program this week. Unfortunately, my gym removed the squat station about a month ago (not sure why) so i'm left with Smith machine squats or taking the barbell from a bench and hoisting the bar up over my head to get into a squat position, which is not only difficult but would seem to be inviting injury. anyone have any ideas on this front???

My monday workout went like this:

Squat- 70x5x3 (smith machine)
Bench- 95x5x3
deadlift-70x5x1

in reading the starting strength post he suggested a novice start with a weight lower than he thinks he should. These three exercises were pretty easy to perform. Plus, i've been doing some weights for about a month before this.

Today my workout was like this:

Squat- 80x5x3 (smith machine)
Military press- 55x5x3
pendlay rows- 65x5x3

i had never done barbell military presses before and quite frankly i wasn't sure what to expect because my shoulders are probably my weakest bodypart. Having said that, what an awesome exercise! I could feel tension in my abs afterward from the effort they were making to stabilize the rest of my body, which i assume is a good thing.

on the pendlay rows, i could tell my technique was not very good. i am going to watch some videos online to work on that. i also forgot to set the weight down on a few of the reps, but that will come with habit.

Overall it was a good workout, but i know i'm missing out so much on not doing pure squats. the machine is too easy to balance and it doesn't force you to utilize the other muscles to balance. Short of finding a new gym, any ideas to work around this??
Old 05-06-2010, 01:33 AM
Rectify is back? Kind of...? :O
Bantamweight

I've had a similar problem but decided just to stick with Smith Squats, the only alternative that seemed viable to me was Zercher Squats and i really didn't like how they felt. It sucks not having a Squat rack, but doing it on the Smith is better than not doing it at all, just gotta make the best of what you have. You could use DBs, but this would require super heavy DBs and great grip strength.

Zerchers - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14e12wFB2GQ
Old 05-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Middleweight

personally i would change gyms, if they arent good enough to have a squat rack then they dont deserve your custom. and on your way out tell them why you are leaving. these places need to realise that a squat rack or power rack is essential in a gym.
Im assuming your gym must be run by a guy who probably has massive pecs and shoulders but stick legs, and he spends most of the day boasting about his bench PR. am i right?

You are always best starting off as light as possible on starting strength, you'll master the form needed to progress more efficiently than just jumping in with heavy wieght and attempting it with potentially bad form.
Good luck on the program and i'll be following along.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Stranger

Gregsimo: "Im assuming your gym must be run by a guy who probably has massive pecs and shoulders but stick legs, and he spends most of the day boasting about his bench PR. am i right?"

funny you mention that....everyone in my gym (including me) has chicken legs!!! it's no wonder....
Old 05-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Middleweight

Quote:
funny you mention that....everyone in my gym (including me) has chicken legs!!! it's no wonder....
Its a familiar story in most gyms. I've still got skinny legs myself but in comparison with this time last year they have grown well. If you cant move gyms then try your best on the smith machine, but i would suggest doing zercher squats every now and then to ensure you work the stabiliser muscles and improve your core strength. Smith machine squats will have their limit.