Why eating eggs for breakfast may kick start body fat losses - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > Article Review and Discussion

Notices

Old 03-26-2010, 12:08 AM
GodsGladiator is getting RIPPED
Super-Heavyweight

Default Why eating eggs for breakfast may kick start body fat losses

Quote:
March 19, 2010 · Posted in Food News

I don’t need to convince any bodybuilders how beneficial it is to eat eggs. Most bodybuilders know that eggs contain high biological value protein, and are also highly digestible. Until whey protein supplements arrived on the market, milk and egg, or isolated egg protein supplements, were the most popular bodybuilding protein supplements. Still, many pervasive myths about eggs circulate. Among these are that it’s best to consume only egg whites, while discarding the yolks. Ostensibly, the reasoning behind this suggestion is that all the fat in the egg is contained in the yolk, which is true. Egg whites are nearly pure protein. On the other hand, half of the protein resides in the yolk, with the other half in the white. When you consume only the whites, you are not obtaining the full biological value of the protein contained in whole eggs. In addition, all the vitamins, minerals, and other important nutrients of the egg exist only in the yolk. But there is an another reason to include whole eggs in your diet, particularly if fat loss is your goal. A recent study illustrates why. In the study, 21 men, ages 20 to 70, consumed two types of breakfasts, both containing the same number of calories, but differing in nutrient composition. The first meal focused on eggs, and contained 22% carbohydrate; 55% fat; and 23% protein. The other meal consisted mainly of carbs, specifically bagels, and contained 72% carbs;12% fat; and 16% protein. Three hours after eating either of these two meals, the study subjects were provided a buffet lunch, and told to eat until satisfied. The subjects’ blood glucose, insulin, and appetite hormone levels were analyzed. The results showed that the subjects consumed fewer calories at the buffet if they had consumed the egg breakfast. In addition, those eating the bagel meal consumed more calories over the following 24 hours compared to the egg eaters. Those eating the bagel meal said they were hungrier three hours after the meal, and their glucose and insulin levels were also higher than the egg group. More importantly, the bagal eaters levels of an appitite-boosting hormone called ghrelin was also higher than the egg group, which probably explains the increased hunger felt by the bagel eaters. Thus, eating eggs promotes body fat loss through inducing a more stable blood glucose/insulin balance, as well as lowering levels of hormones that increase hunger.

Ratiliffa J, et al. Consuming eggs for breakfast influences plasma glucose and ghrelin, while reducing energy intake during the next 24 hours in adult men.Nutrition Res 2010;30:96-103.

Tired of being mislead and lied to about bodybuilding nutrition? Read my e-book, Natural Anabolics, to find out the truth. Check it out at jerrybrainum.com
article here

did i miss something or he just say that eggs are natural appetite suppressants now?

thoughts?
Blood & Guts
1 John 4:19 We love because he first loved us.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h206/mikeythatsnice/teamsters.jpg
Old 03-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Ratcat is lifting heavy in less time.
Light-Heavyweight

If I eat just 2 boiled eggs for breakfast I am satisfied for a long while but if I eat porridge then I'm looking for a top up after 2 hours or so. But if I eat the eggs I have no problems eating the porridge as well in the same sitting but if I eat the porridge first then I'll be full enough so as I won't want the eggs.
Good tucker eggs. I don't think I'd call them an appetite suppressor.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:24 AM
Big_AL should change his/her status!
Stranger

Love eggs myself. There a great food.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:51 AM
will-work4andro is beastmode!!!
Professor of Pain!!

the fat and protein in the egg will definitely help with satiety...here is the link to the actual study

http://www.nrjournal.com/article/S02...003-5/abstract

Muscle Hypertrophy occurs independent of exercise intensity
Old 04-21-2010, 10:26 AM
Light-Heavyweight

Thats what I was trying to say. But what do they mean when they say 'reduced energy intake'. Cheers.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:29 PM
will-work4andro is beastmode!!!
Professor of Pain!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratcat View Post
Thats what I was trying to say. But what do they mean when they say 'reduced energy intake'. Cheers.
since they felt more satisfaction from the egg, they ate less following that meal...following the bagel, they actually ate more the rest of the day.

Muscle Hypertrophy occurs independent of exercise intensity
Old 04-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Light-Heavyweight

Ah yes that's it. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:32 PM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

I don't think there is something special in eggs that caused these results. So the quote above is misleading in that regard.

It is more of a factor of a lower carb/pro ratio, as well as higher fats. But whether you got your pro/fat from eggs or another source, likely would not make a major difference on satiety.

There are some exceptions, but the most important component is the carb/pro ratio and fat content, regardless of food source - again, from a satiety perspective.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:01 PM
Chance Cater should change his/her status!
Stranger

I eat four eggs every morning and 30 grams of plain oatmeal. I get hungry in about two hours.
Hebrews 12:11 No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening—it’s painful! But afterward there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Synergy should change his/her status!
Stranger

Thanks actually not a lot of oatmeal. It has typically 54g of carbohydrates per 100g of dry weight. Thus your going to want to have 100g at least, depending on your calories and type of diet.
After a nights sleep and fast your body needs to refuel its glycogen stores. Thats why morning is the best time to load on carbs.