Whey Man's venture into the I, Bodybuilder program + Anaconda protocol*~*~* - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 03-23-2010, 03:45 AM
Whey Man is procrastinating.
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
You may be ditching the protocol, but are you still going to try to implement the workouts as designed in the I,BB program?
Yep, sure am. Starting up again tomorrow. Off day and basketball today. I'm going to start posting my workouts too.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Ellingham is getting lean
Middleweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whey Man View Post
And if you're willing to risk the 340 dollars to find out,
What do you get for them 340 dollars?
Old 03-23-2010, 04:37 PM
Undone is an ambassador for JC
Rookie

I really appreciate you journaling your attempt at the Anaconda protocol. Somehow I doubt your posts would have been allowed at T-Nation, so it was refreshing to see one man's objective attempt at it. I am curious to see how you do on your old protocol using the I, Bodybuilder program. Please keep posting.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:08 PM
bigbear6708 is working hard
Heavyweight

just subscribing to the thread...i am at work, but look forward to reading all about this venture when I get home...Im along for the ride man..w/ my Half-Colon and all !!! hahaha
Old 03-24-2010, 03:13 AM
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellingham View Post
What do you get for them 340 dollars?
Click here. They'll tell you everything that's included in a box off to the left side of the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone View Post
I really appreciate you journaling your attempt at the Anaconda protocol. Somehow I doubt your posts would have been allowed at T-Nation, so it was refreshing to see one man's objective attempt at it. I am curious to see how you do on your old protocol using the I, Bodybuilder program. Please keep posting.
Yeah, for sure. When I've posted things in the past that didn't necessarily benefit T-Nation or their products (not even necessarily negative about them), it was deleted soon after. So either that or be blasted by all of the sheepish followers over there. So it's much more worth my time to post about it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear6708 View Post
just subscribing to the thread...i am at work, but look forward to reading all about this venture when I get home...Im along for the ride man..w/ my Half-Colon and all !!! hahaha
LOL...fo rizzal! Us colon less and half colonless peeps gotta stick together.

Last edited by Whey Man; 03-24-2010 at 03:31 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:27 AM
Light-Heavyweight

Before getting into my nutrition and training for the day, I just have a few more thoughts about the protocol. I don't want to sound like someone who only has bad things to say about something just because everyone else loves it and I want to be different. So I just want to go over a few reasons WHY I might not be tolerating this thing very well"

1) The dyes in the flavoring:

- May seem trivial, but I've always had trouble with high levels of dyes in food products (especially red, oddly enough). I've had that since I was a young wee lad. But anyway, it's too bad they didn't make these flavoring things with no dyes, but I suppose they have to make it look "pretty" and all. That said, I actually enjoy putting a cap full of the berry flavoring in my oats every time I eat them...and I don't seem to have too much trouble. But that's only one cap, as opposed to 3-4 caps that I use(d) in the protocol. So anyway, just throwing that out there.

2) I supposedly have a strong intolerance to wheat.

- And the bars contain wheat products. That could be causing some discomfort.

3) I can't eat/drink as much without my colon.

- I used to be someone who could eat an entire pizza, alot of ice cream, candy, and then some in one sitting. These days I have enough trouble getting 3/4 of a pizza down. And what's even harder than eating more food, surprisingly, is actually drinking a high level of LIQUIDS in one sitting. It's soooo hard for me. And I realized that this could be the main culprit today after I had my workout (WITHOUT the protocol). It started out great, because I went back to my pre workout nutrition of whey and sweet tarts. But I also added more whey during the workout and immediately after. And let me tell you...things started going downhill when I began drinking all of that liquid in the middle of the workout. Didn't feel as bad as I did during the protocol, but I had similar symptoms (just not nearly as bad).

4) Or it could be a combination of all 3 things combined. So anyway...I just wanted to go through that list to "be fair" and all. But one thing I'm SURE of regardless....the protocol tastes really, really, really bad in my honest opinion.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:43 AM
Light-Heavyweight

Just wanted to discuss my current diet for a second...

Lately I've been more lenient with my sources of carbs. For instance, I allow myself to eat puffed rice cereal (with unsweetened almond milk) and popcorn rice cakes (the bigger ones...not the smaller ones with all the other additional crap added to them). Back in the day I would only let myself eat things like oats, sweet potatoes, quinoa, fruit, veggies, etc. My reasoning for this is...well, I have none. I just realized I'm young and I deserve some freedom, danget. :P Actually though the main thing is that I really don't care too terribly much with being extra lean right now. I just want to gain some good size before my next surgery.

Although I must say, the "sweet spot" seems to be in the 2,500 calorie range right now. Back when I leap frogged it to 3,000 cals...it was just a tad too much and added some extra fat I didn't want. That said, these past few days I've hit the 3,000 mark, so I'll have to fix that in the coming days.

I really have no "set strategy" right now. Just more carbs on days with more activity and try to aim for 2,500 calories regardless. I also try to get in 255 grams of protein per day. Might keep it on the low side (155-170 grams) one day a week just so I'm not overdoing it. I dunno yet.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:56 AM
Light-Heavyweight

Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010

Nutrition:

Meal 1: Puffy Rice Cereal + 3/4 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk (Vanilla) + 1 popcorn rice cake + 4 grams EVOO + 1.5 Extra Lean Burger Patties + low carb ketchup

Meal 2: Muscle Milk

Meal 3: 3 Popcorn Rice Cakes + 14 grams EVOO + 1.5 Extra Lean Burger Patties + low carb ketchup

Meal 4 (Pre-Workout): 53 Sweet Tarts + 60 grams Whey Concentrate + 2 Vitamin Gummy Bears + 2 packets Truvia

Meal 4.5 (During and Post Workout): 1 Labrada RTD + 1 Muscle Milk

Meal 5: 4 Popcorn Rice Cakes + 20 grams Pepperjack Cheese + 4 grams EVOO + 1 Extra Lean Burger Patty

Meal 6: Two Slices Pepperjack Cheese

Totals = 3,234 Calories (300.72 carbs / 302.37 protein / 91.32 fat)

- Waaaay too high today. Had a great workout, but not enough to warrant a jump in cals by as much as I did.

- Normally I avoid Muscle Milk...but I'm waiting for my new batch of whey to be delivered. In the meantime, I'm punting.

- I don't normally eat beef either. It's chicken, extra lean turkey, or whey for my main protein source 90% of the time.

Training:

Today I began my 3rd week of the I, Bodybuilder program in Phase 1 (shoulders). I was actually going to begin Phase 2 (back), but I have a nasty injury on my inner hand that prevents me from doing really heavy pulling exercises right now (IE deadlift)....so one more week on Phase 1.

Here's the workout:

Here's what I did:

Overhead Press from Pins:

Feeler Set #1: 135 lbs x 1 rep
Feeler Set #2: 145 lbs x 1 rep
Feeler Set #3: 155 lbs x 1 rep
Feeler Set #4: 165 lbs x 1 rep
Feeler Set #5: 175 lbs x 1 rep

Work Set #1 - #6: 175 lbs x 3 reps
Work Set #7: 135 x 10 (Max Reps)

- Tried to use minimal rest. A minute or less between sets, a short pause between reps.

- On sets #4 and #5 I had to widen my grip on the last rep so I could get it up.

- On set #6 I had to use a wider grip for all 3 reps.

Incline Bench Press:

Feeler Set #1: 115 lbs x 3 reps
Feeler Set #2: 125 lbs x 3 reps

Work Set #1: 135 lbs x 3 reps
Work Set #2: 145 lbs x 3 reps
Work Set #3: 155 lbs x 3 reps
Work Set #4: 160 lbs x 3 reps
Work Set #5: 165 lbs x 3 reps
Work Set #6: 175 lbs x 1 reps
Work Set #7: 175 lbs x 1 reps
Work Set #8: 135 lbs x 10 reps (Max Reps)

- I was a little hesitant on this one since the last time I did this I couldn't get the bar up and had to slide it down my body (and thus almost causing damage to my stoma).

- On set #4 I had trouble accelerating the weight up on the last rep.

Push Press:

Feeler Set #1: 135 lbs x 1 rep
Feeler Set #2: 135 lbs x 3 reps

Work Set #1: 145 lbs x 1 rep
Work Set #2: 145 lbs x 3 reps
Work Set #3: 150 lbs x 1 rep
Work Set #4: 150 lbs x 3 reps
Work Set #5: 155 x 1 rep
Work Set #6: 155 x 3 reps
Work Set #7: 160 x 1/2 rep :P
Work Set #8: 115 lbs x 10 reps (Max Reps)

- Felt as though 145 was tiring enough...yet somehow I made it to 155 pounds without "sticking points."

- Unfortunately rest lasted longer for this exercise between sets. Was feeling sluggish possibly due to too much liquid consumption.

High Incline Bench from pins:

This isn't even part of the workout plan...but I wanted more, danget!

Feeler Set #1: 135 lbs x 3 reps

Work Set #1: 175 lbs x 3 reps
Work Set #2: 195 lbs x 3 reps
Work Set #3: 205 lbs x 3 reps
Work Set #4: 135 lbs x 9 reps (Max Reps)

- Rest between sets was pretty minimal, but I let my body "re group" for 4-10 seconds between reps during the later sets.

Summary:

Great workout. Drank too much fluid, but otherwise things went great. The second week of this program seemed basically the same for poundages, but on this 3rd week here I've already hit new marks in each lift.

Last edited by Whey Man; 03-24-2010 at 06:34 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:59 PM
Vlad is traalallaalal
Super-Heavyweight

Yo yo yo yo (sorry too much hip-hop lately)

Here are a couple of thoughts I had:

Did you watch the workout videos?

There are ONLY 3 sets of clusters, 3 reps and NO max rep set. The goal is to activate, not to destroy.

Here are how my clusters looked like when I did it :

245 x 1 10 secs x 1 10 sec x 1
265 x 1 10 secs x 1 10 secs x 1
300 x 1 10 secs x 1 10 secs x 1

Next exercises, Incline Benchpress, you should try to stay in 3 rep range at all times, but I guess you wanted to max a bit so you went a little bit higher, but there is NO max set on that exercise. Max sets only are at the end of the workout to finish off the muscle group.

From experience, specialization routines like this will catch up on you later on, on week 3-5 if you are going at it for that long, shoulders will get run down and it will happen gradually so inreasing the volume right now is not recommended.

I do know the feeling, you are feeling bulletproof, but it will just speed up the fatigue and will backfire on later weeks. Stick to the program as written.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

I was having some of your same thoughts Vlad regarding the changes Whey Man made.

Looking foward to the following posts.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano