Whey Man's venture into the I, Bodybuilder program + Anaconda protocol*~*~* - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 03-19-2010, 05:52 PM
Whey Man is procrastinating.
Light-Heavyweight

Default Whey Man's venture into the I, Bodybuilder program + Anaconda protocol*~*~*

In this journal I'll be posting my daily food consumption (including the Anaconda Protocol), along with my training on each day (complete with poundages).

Current Stats:

Age - 23
Weight - 169
Height - 6 feet
Colon - non existent
Goal - Gain muscle.

Now normally I don't buy into huge marketing campaigns like T-Nation's new Anaconda protocol, and I've actually spent the past two years with minimal supplements (IE just whey protein and creatine). But despite that, I decided I'd give it a shot, if not for the simple reason alone that I'd like to gain as much (good) size as possible before my next surgery takes place this spring.

I've been on the program for a week and a half now (but minus the protocol). Prior to this type of higher frequency+low rep training, I was on a high volume+medium range rep+one body part per day plan for quite a long time. So far I'm enjoying the change of pace.

The protocol just arrived in the mail yesterday, so I'll be writing an initial review of the taste and what not in a post below this one. Prior to the protocol though, my workout nutrition was looking like this:

Pre Workout (10-20 minutes beforehand):

40 pieces of Sweet Tarts and/or Sprees (maltodextrin/dextrose based)
Whey protein (40 grams worth of protein)

Post Workout (immediately after):

Whey protein (40 grams worth of protein)

Post-post Workout (60-90 later):

Solid meal. Typically chicken and oats...maybe a lil bit of fat too in the form of EVOO or PB.

Lately there have been reported studies regarding the importance of spiking insulin PRIOR to workouts, so I've been giving it a go...and I must say...I had some of the best workouts of my life with this strategy. Normally my energy levels really effect how hard I can push myself in the gym, but this pre workout strategy gives me the insane amount of energy I need to absolutely destroy the gym. Might not be optimal for those looking to cut...but hey, it's working for me anyway. :P Despite being on blood thinners at this time in my life (meaning my pump suffers big time), I've been looking pretty huge lately despite that. The difference is night and day for me.

But now that the Anaconda protocol has arrived, I'm going against the sage old advice of, "Don't mess with a good thing." My first time using it was last night, and my impressions/review will be below this post.

Last edited by Whey Man; 03-19-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:03 PM
Ellingham is getting lean
Middleweight

Glad to see you back posting man, you won't know me but i used to read your posts when i lurked here as a noob. Takes a strong character to overcome the problems you had, i look forward to following this journal along.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

I will be logged in to your journal. The I,Bodybuiler program definitely intrigued me. It will be interested to see how it works for you.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 03-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Light-Heavyweight

I'll probably do an updated review of the protocol every time I use it (just not as detailed as this first one will be). And what I mean by that is that I'll review how my body is adjusting and getting used to this thing. Because initially, it sure as heck isn't easy at all.

I'll do a run down product by product...

90 minutes prior to workout: Cap full of Alpha-GPC

Read about it here (click)

- Taste wasn't bad, but it wasn't good. I ended up adding a little bit of the flavoring with it.

45 minutes before workout: Prepare the Anaconda+Mag-10 shake

They sent a bottle with the package, and it's a pretty good one. The opening at the top is just the right size, and the powder pours into it pretty easily from the scoop. Meaning all the powder goes into the bottle instead of all over the counter top. ;P

The powder mixes great with the water. No leftover chunks.

Adding the liquid flavoring is probably the trickiest part. This is necessary because the powders are unflavored. And if you've ever tried drinking, say, BCAA powder with no flavoring...you'll understand just how nasty that is. But anyway, it's tricky in that you have to be careful not to let any drip onto the bottle...and thus onto your hands. Not a big deal, but I don't like my fingers turning color.

30 minutes prior to workout: 3 FINiBARS

- This is where the pre workouts carbs come in to spike the insulin. Probably my favorite part of the protocol. The PB bars are soft and taste FANTASTIC...but the dark chocolate bars are harder and taste like black licorice. Now I don't mind the taste of black licorice, but not when I'm expecting chocolate. PB is by far the best one.

20 minutes prior to workout: 500 mL of Anaconda Shake:
5 minutes prior to workout: 500 mL of Anaconda Shake:

This is where my world came crashing down. Drinking all the water that's required in the protocol doesn't seem all that hard...it's guzzling down the taste that's the hard part. The liquid flavoring did a terrible job of masking the taste of the powder. I've had better success in the past simply with adding a packet of kool-aid (you know...without the sugar) and splenda to a BCAA powdered shake than I did with this thing.

It's not a stretch to say that I wanted to curl up and die. I felt terrible. Could it be that I need to add more flavoring next time (even though I did the 3 cap fulls that they required)? Could be. Could it be that maybe the grape flavoring just kind of sucks and the other two flavors (berry and orange) will be better? Could be. Could it be that they simply need to think of a better way to mask the taste? Also could be. All I know is that I have no idea what people are talking about when they say this thing tastes like some sort of delectable drink. It doesn't.

Also, the flavoring can be used to flavor regular water as well. After trying all three flavors, I gotta say, still not the biggest fan. Just isn't that great. Also makes my stomach gurgle pretty bad.

Throughout rest of workout: Drink remaining 1,000 mL of Anaconda Shake:

I couldn't do it. I knew my body was literally going to tell me to go screw myself if I took one more sip. So at that point I just tried to salvage any energy I had left to do my workout. The workout started out pretty sluggish, but I actually ended up having a fantastic workout despite feeling sick out of my mind. Here are the pros of the workout:

* Felt and looked huge (as to be expected).

* For certain exercises, it seemed like I was able to keep adding plate after plate. Was amazed at how much I was able to do with the tricep pushdowns. But to be fair, my low incline bench press from pins was the same as it was last time in terms of poundages. But as a counter point, due to gym conditions at the time, I was forced to have it be a super set after the pushdowns. So the fact that I was able to use the same weight as last time despite maxing out on pushdowns right beforehand seems rather impressive. My muscular endurance definitely felt great....and that's really important for me, because my muscular endurance has been a huge struggle ever since my surgery 4 months ago.

Now as I sit here typing...it's the day after, and I don't feel full of energy like some report. Like I didn't wake up in my gym clothes and shoes ready to immediately run off to the gym. :P But to be fair, I didn't even complete the full protocol. And I did have my weekly cheat meal last night, so that should also be taken into account. Definitely something that will have to have tabs kept on as the days and weeks go by. Because as of right now and well before I even started this protocol, my morning energy levels are and have been absolutely TERRIBLE. In fact, they have been for the longest I can remember.

But anyway...Ok, so from here on out, I'll post exact workout details, exact nutrition details, and any advances my body has in adjusting to the Anaconda protocol on a day by day basis.

Last edited by Whey Man; 03-19-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellingham View Post
Glad to see you back posting man, you won't know me but i used to read your posts when i lurked here as a noob. Takes a strong character to overcome the problems you had, i look forward to following this journal along.

Thanks man...I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
I will be logged in to your journal. The I,Bodybuiler program definitely intrigued me. It will be interested to see how it works for you.

Sounds good. And if you or anyone has any specific questions...please fell free to ask. As evidenced by my post above, I'm not someone who's going only say good things about it and biasedly (is that even a real word?) praise this thing simply because it's "supposed" to work...if you know what I mean.

Last edited by Whey Man; 03-19-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Vlad is traalallaalal
Super-Heavyweight

I'll follow this crazyness

I'm interested in few things you were doing before this "protocol" :

- Was your training any different to what it is during it now?
- How were you eating before it and which goals did you have?

Good luck man, hope it works because that is a lot of money!

By the way, you look freakin' huge for 170 at 6"! I'm almost 200 at 5"9 and lookin smaller hahaha.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post

I'm interested in few things you were doing before this "protocol" :

- Was your training any different to what it is during it now?
- How were you eating before it and which goals did you have?

Good luck man, hope it works because that is a lot of money!
Yeah. Somewhere in my first post I mentioned that prior to this lower rep, higher frequency training...I was doing a one body part per day, higher volume, medium rep range type training (for quite some time in fact). Even before I started the protocol, I saw some pretty immediate results simply by changing up training style alone. In addition to the pre workout nutrition (sweet tarts and whey) my muscles have started to look bigger and fuller than they have for quite some time...with plenty of energy to spare.

The only thing that's different with nutrition now that I have the Anaconda protocol is that I'm changing up the pre workout nutrition and not adding they whey immediately after the workout.

But all of this might be moot. I might have to stop the protocol. I'll detail it in the post below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post

By the way, you look freakin' huge for 170 at 6"! I'm almost 200 at 5"9 and lookin smaller hahaha.
Ha, thanks! I wish that were still the case though. After my surgery I fell all the way down to 144. 4 months later I'm back to 170, but I'm not quite as lean or big this time around...but I'm getting there.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Sunday, March 20th, 2010

Well...I gave the protocol another guy. This time I added an extra cap full of flavoring (orange instead of grape). Much more tolerable...but still tasted like dirty diapers with a splash of fruit.

I was able to guzzle down 3/4 of it this time instead of only half, but barely. By the time I got to the weight room, I felt like complete crap. It's just so nauseating. Felt like my workout really suffered big time this second time around.

It's interesting comparing the workout this week to the same one last week. I remember the one from last week because it was possibly one of the best workouts I had ever had (this was when I was using sweet tarts and whey around my workout). In stark contrast, I felt the complete opposite this week while doing the same workout. I even started feeling some flue like symptoms.

So that said, I'm thinking I'll have to try and sell the rest on craigslist or something. This simply is NOT agreeing with my body, unfortunately.

Prior to this experience I remember writing on the training forum that I thought it was probably worth it to give the protocol a shot if money wasn't that much of an issue...but I really don't know about that anymore. I wasn't expecting this type of reaction. That's ALOT of money to cough up for something that might make you feel sick to your stomach like it has for me.

That said, I'll probably give this ONE more shot.

PS - But just for the record, I tried adding some of the liquid berry flavoring to my oats. And MY GOSH it tasted amazing. It tasted like those packet oats that are filled with sugar. But I hate to say that it's not quite good enough to warrant spending 340 dollars to get it. ALMOST though...

Old 03-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Ok...third workout using it...and this time I tried using half the powder (half dosing of Anaconda, half dosing of Mag 10). Still felt TERRIBLE. In fact, I felt even worse than the previous two workouts. I'm someone who only throws up on average of once every 5 years or so, but I swear I was THIS close to losing it.

At this point I don't know if it's the dye in the flavoring, the powders, or both...but I just can't do it. I'm going back to my old workout nutrition from here on out...and hopefully find a buyer for the rest of my protocol.

There you have it, folks. My 3 workout review of the Anaconda protocol. Two HUGE thumbs down from Whey Man. If your body can handle it, all the more power to you. And if you're willing to risk the 340 dollars to find out, even more power to you.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

You may be ditching the protocol, but are you still going to try to implement the workouts as designed in the I,BB program?

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano