Training culture and training environment. - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Recreation > Members' Discussion:

Notices

Old 09-14-2010, 11:13 AM
ryancostill should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Default Training culture and training environment.

I work in professional sport and an area I am really interested in is that of the training environment and the training culture amongst athletes.

The more I work (and train myself) the more I think this is the key variable in determining training success. Optimising rep ranges, recovery periods, exercise selection etc in my opinion are secondary issues if the right training environment is not in place and the right work ethic is not there to begin with.

What are your thoughts on this?

How do you think one (a coach or an athlete) can improve a training environment or a training culture amongst a group of athletes?

Also,

What would you expect to see if you walked into a truly elite training environment?

What are the critical behaviours in that culture?

What are the critical components of the programme / environment?

http://www.london2012.com/NR/rdonlyr...ghtlifting.jpg

Creatine: A literature review

Creatine: Practical Applications

International Symposium of Biomechanics in Sport
Old 09-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancostill View Post
I work in professional sport and an area I am really interested in is that of the training environment and the training culture amongst athletes.

The more I work (and train myself) the more I think this is the key variable in determining training success. Optimising rep ranges, recovery periods, exercise selection etc in my opinion are secondary issues if the right training environment is not in place and the right work ethic is not there to begin with.

Hmmm, I am going to have to say that work ethic trumps training environment big time. Looking at environment physically, a good work ethic ( = consistency IMO) will overcome lack of specialty barbells, prowlers, bumper plates, etc. Looking at environment in terms of the people you train with, it definitely becomes more difficult to overcome, but you can isolate yourself from the negativity around you and get into your own training world.

How do you think one (a coach or an athlete) can improve a training environment or a training culture amongst a group of athletes?

I think having record boards is a great way to foster friendly competition and improve mood.

I believe in personal responsibility (see below) so unfortunately, if the coach is dealing with a bunch of grumps, that can be difficult. However, the coach is personally responsible for his own behavior. I think the coach should come to work everyday with enthusiasm. He/she should always be ready to be positive and offer constructive criticism. Also, the coach should find the natural leaders among his athletes/trainees and find unique ways for them to encourage others and bring the whole moral/attitude of the training group up.

Also,

What would you expect to see if you walked into a truly elite training environment?

People training HARD and SMART and encouraging one another. And although work ethic trumps environment, a truly elite training center would have top notch equipment with plent of space to utillize it. I recently watched a video of Joe DeFranco's new gym, I think that qualifies.

Not accepting excuses, I think that covers everything else. However, behavior is best looked for in a positive sense, not the negative, so the positive component of "not accepting excuses" would be that the trainees held themselves personally responsible for the success of their training.

To elaborate, a trainer has an athlete for maybe 1 hour per day, obviously, that 1 hour is important, but the athlete can easily undo all the good done during that 1 hour by misusing the other 23 hours God gave him. Conversely, if the trainer sucks, the athlete still has 23 other hours to sleep and eat right, thus taking personal responsibility for his/her training.

Well, as you mentioned, the program is secondary to work ethic. That said, the coach should be well versed in training knowledge to be able to set up smart programs.

I think a critical component would be individualization. I would assume many great gyms will have athletes training for various sports/endeavors. Being able to recognize the skills necessary for those sports and traing the individual accordingly. Further, even if they are training for the same sport, i.e. olympic lifting, they will all tend to have different strengths and weaknesses. Thus, recognizing and addressing those would be key.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano

Last edited by Commander; 09-14-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:42 PM
klosey is 51 visitors online right now ! Let's get that number higher!!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancostill View Post

Hmmm ethic over environment, you can have the most hardcore gym in the world but if do desire to train then nothing... however the desire to train and just a barbell that lives under your bed would be enough for some growth....

Log in mentallity. a coach and athlete should have it mentally fixed that when walk through the door its all out go time.... like a battle... no phone checking or chit chat..
Also,

Equipment, Weights thats pretty much it. i dont care how walls look or what other people are doing i zone out anyway, but.. perhaps people following the same style.. not chit chat just train

behaviour... encouragement only
Rotation.... particullarly in groups this allows everyone to show their best and improve there worst lifts, times etc