Rectify's Journal - Page 3 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 03-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Rectify is back? Kind of...? :O
Bantamweight

Woke up around midday yesterday and had some university work to do (last 3 weeks of assignments left!) so decided to take the day off and get some of that done.

Went to do Chest today but wasn't really feeling a strain at all, it's starting to annoy me. It always feels like my shoulder/triceps give in first... normally left side, since i'm right handed. It doesn't feel like i'm working my pecs even if i hold the dumbbell as wide as possible while benching.

I do get a pump in them though. I try to squeeze/contract the pec on chest movements but it still feels like my chest is putting in zero effort compared to my arms.

Time to make a thread about it! My chest is lagging and there's not much point working hard on it if my efforts are not doing much.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:18 PM
GodsGladiator is getting RIPPED
Super-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectify View Post
Woke up around midday yesterday and had some university work to do (last 3 weeks of assignments left!) so decided to take the day off and get some of that done.

Went to do Chest today but wasn't really feeling a strain at all, it's starting to annoy me. It always feels like my shoulder/triceps give in first... normally left side, since i'm right handed. It doesn't feel like i'm working my pecs even if i hold the dumbbell as wide as possible while benching.

I do get a pump in them though. I try to squeeze/contract the pec on chest movements but it still feels like my chest is putting in zero effort compared to my arms.

Time to make a thread about it! My chest is lagging and there's not much point working hard on it if my efforts are not doing much.
dont know if you are but stretching your chest out between sets/excersises can help tremendously. also during your excersises make sure you squeez your pecs on the first rep, if you dont feel it you might have to readjust your form... goodluck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCEY0Hv-xos
Blood & Guts
1 John 4:19 We love because he first loved us.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h206/mikeythatsnice/teamsters.jpg
Old 03-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Bantamweight

Thanks man, a help as always. And yes, i stretch every muscle i'm working inbetween sets, gives me something to do while i prepare for the next one.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Bantamweight

Decided to do Chest/Tri's today, to get more practice on chest exercises. Went much better as i read around for a few tips on form. Think i might just continue to try new things for my chest and see what works, but there was a vast improvement thanks to the things i've read and tips i've been given.

My chest wasn't too bad back when i worked out years ago, but i would like to make it much fuller this time so i want to get the form and feel for it down this time. And things definately seem to be looking up in that regard.

I'm going to continue to do my rotation of 1, 2, 1, 3 (Chest/Tri > Back/Bi > Chest/Tri > Leg/Delts) so that i can practice the chest stuff more, and also to give my pecs a boost to get them in good shape for the coming months.

Been unable to do Ab work for the most part of this week as my lower abs seem to still be destroyed from a workout last weekend. Odd as my abs used to be a strong point. I'll have to go easy on them and work from the ground up, but that's no problem.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Bantamweight

Went for Back/Bi's today. My first lift is Deadlifts and i was trying to check my form, and no matter what i did i couldn't seem to find a stance/grip that let me stop rounding the upper part of my back. It kind of annoyed me and threw me off the rest of my workout. I was already in a bit of a bad mood due to realising how selfish some people can be, so that didn't help and my mind wasn't really ready today i guess.

Nevermind though, i ditched the rest of the session after doing a bit of cardio and then had a think. I decided to turn this into an opportunity for change. I thought about what i want, and what i really want is to burn about another 6-7% fat off, whereas at the moment i've been working on both gaining mass and losing fat, which is hard.

So i decided i will change up my routine for the next say... 3-4 weeks. I'll up the reps from 10/8/8 to 16/12/10 (worked for me in the past) and use the higher reps to work on my form and build a bit of endurance while i'm at it by adding in at least 10-15min of cardio per session.

I want this bodyfat % to drop before i worry too much about the mass. Then i'll clean bulk over summer. I'll write up my new plans later. I thought about switching to full body workouts but i think i'll stick with what i have, maybe, or maybe add in more compound movements than i have so far.

More on this later!
Old 03-15-2010, 12:42 AM
Bantamweight

OK, i decided that along with adding the cardio i'm going to have to ramp up the intensity, so my workouts will be pretty killer and followed by the cardio each day.

It's a 4 day split, but i'm looking to go to the gym 6 days a week, 5 at the least. The aim of this split is to work on form (since weights used will be lower due to higher reps), increase endurance, lose fat... and just generally kick my own butt. I did a similar program (rep range at least) years ago that was made by a PT who was built like a pro BB'er, it worked great back then and i'm hoping to emulate some of that success. The only difference is now i have some fat to lose, whereas before i was just a skinny guy. I'm gonna melt it off though.

I've had a month to adjust back to the game, it's gone well, now it's time to step it up!

Some may say it's a little much, high volume, etc, but i have the motivation, it's gonna happen. I'll stick with this for 4 weeks and see where i'm at, hoping to drop from 17-ish% BF to around 12% or less.

I'm also going to start tracking my diet again, after a while it gets too hard to remember the calorie count in your head, specially as my diet is quite varied. I find it hard to count the protein without a list, so that's another thing starting from tomorrow. The reps are pretty much all the exact same so i can keep it simple and see how it works. Bodybuilding is just a game of trial and error after all, you have to try a few different things and see what clicks for you. This should shock my system.

Since today's workout didn't go to plan, it means i can jump straight into this tomorrow, awesome!

See you on the other side.

Last edited by Rectify; 03-15-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Bantamweight

Got myself Fitday v2, gonna use that just to log my food intake/diet.

I looked at that, along with other BRM/RMR calculators online and they all tend to tell me i'll be burning 2,700cals on a normal day. Plus i should be burning around 300+ with each workout according to Fitday and other calculators. How accurate this is i don't know but with an average 40min of weights and 10-15min of cardio i would imagine it's at least close. That's 18,900cals a week, plus workouts.

That means that my average intake for each day of the week will be around:

4 workouts/week = 18.9k + 4*300 = 20.1k cals/week = 2871 cals/day
5 workouts/week = 18.9k + 5*300 = 20.4k cals/week = 2914 cals/day
6 workouts/week = 18.9k + 6*300 = 20.7k cals/week = 2957 cals/day

A 1000 cal deficit each week would yield me (in theory) 2lbs a week of weightloss, though i read any more than that isn't recommended.

Using the above i'll round the number to about a 2900 average, for simplicity. I will be aiming for around 2000 cals each day and have a limit of about 2200 cals. This should give me around 1.5-2lbs a week of weightloss. A good rate, imo.

Anyway, time for day 1. The game is ON.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Bantamweight

Also, i will research what macros i should be hitting for weightloss later. The general impression i've got is that as long as i'm getting plenty of protein (1-2lb per lb bodyweight) and keeping my fat in check i should be OK. Not entirely sure since i haven't had to drop weight before.

40/40/20? 40/30/30? Who knows, i will look later.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:43 PM
GodsGladiator is getting RIPPED
Super-Heavyweight

hey man, things are looking good on here.

here is a good table to give you a decent idea on where you need to be, click here. just adjust as needed
Blood & Guts
1 John 4:19 We love because he first loved us.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h206/mikeythatsnice/teamsters.jpg
Old 03-15-2010, 07:34 PM
Bantamweight

Ahhh, nice advice as always GG. That seems to fit in with a lot i read. I think i will probably go somewhere along the lines of 40/40/20 or 40/30/30 (P/C/F)... not too bothered about being strict, as long as i stay 30-40% carbs and 20-30% fat. It's the protein i'm most bothered about. As long as i hit 40% protein and stay in my calorie range i'm not too bothered.

Anyway, REALLY off to the gym now, was just busy with some stuff.... schoolwork, women, timewasting in general, lol. I need to get going before i start getting too weak and hungry.

See ya... and thanks again.