Rectify's Journal - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 02-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Rectify is back? Kind of...? :O
Bantamweight

Default Rectify's Journal

Hi all, so i'm currently getting back into the whole iron thing, about 12 days in so far. Thought i'd make myself a diary here to keep track of what i'm doing so i can look back on it to see what works best. And of course for inspiration when i can look back in a few months or more and see the progress i've made.

I used to workout quite a lot, after being a skinny kid all my life. I managed to get to about 155-160 and 10% (maybe less) of bodyfat, which wasn't bad in about 1.5 years i think, as i weighed about 120lbs when i started. But then i got ill with an appendix problem that remained undiagnosed for about 18 months, which made me lose everything i'd gained, as i had bad cramps every couple of weeks for days, and couldnt eat much or workout without throwing up right after. I just never got back into it since then.

But that was then and this is now and it's time to stop making excuses. I've been a member of my local gym for over a year now and not really made any progress whatsoever due to being so on and off with my workouts.

/Boring story over.

So i've been eating better and working out for about 12 days thus far and i've managed to shave around 10lbs off. I was 186lbs and now i'm floating in the 176/177lb region.

Here's some before pics. I'll save all the 'after' shots for following posts.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...ideRelaxed.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...ontRelaxed.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...rontFlexed.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...ackRelaxed.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...BackFlexed.jpg

My diet has mainly been chicken, tuna (and other fish), wholewheat pasta, protein shakes, and stuff such as a bit of salad here, bran flakes for breakfast there, etc etc. Healthy enough and focussing mainly on protein.

Today's pics in the next post.

Last edited by Rectify; 02-26-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Bantamweight

OK, so i've lost around 9-10lbs in 12 days, not bad, but i have no idea how much of it was fat or muscle. I measured my bodyfat with some calipers (with the help of someone) and got a reading of around 19% on the starter pics.

On the pics today, i have no idea and won't be bothering to use the calipers again for another few weeks, but i feel like i've definately lost fat and plenty of bloat in my midsection. My whole body feels tighter, but i attribute a lot of that to the DOMs, lol.

Here's todays pics, they arnt the best, as i found it hard to even flex my arms up like that due to torturing my triceps a couple of days ago.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...b/DSC00157.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...b/DSC00154.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...b/DSC00153.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...b/DSC00151.jpg

And a quick comparison of two front poses. I think i'll do this each time i take pics, to get a bit of motivation...

Like i say, couldn't really bring my arms up due to pain in my tri's, but i tried all the same. The problem especially shows in the rear bicep pose, couldn't bring my arms back, or flex, or really flare my lats like in the pic above it, haha.

Oh well... no pain, no gain.. i guess.. =)

I think i'll be aiming for a 3 day split, which is what i've been doing thus far... though i am in the process of changing what i do on each day and probably won't have decided for a while, but i'm mainly going for...

1- Chest/Tri's
2- Back/Bi's
3- Legs/Shoulders

Not sure about the 3rd day though, as right now i'm feeling like my arms will be too dead to do shoulders on leg day, so i might look into putting shoulder stuff into one (or both?) of the other two days.

Also, i'm going to be doing my ab work mainly at home i think, as i have a decent decline ab bench and a few weight laying around that i can do crunches with. I'll probably just do some leg raises/normal crunches here at there while at the gym if i feel like it.

Shall try to keep this updated at least twice a week.

Cheers.

PS - Limited to 4 images per post, and emoticons count as images? Sheesh! =P
Old 02-26-2010, 11:20 PM
GodsGladiator is getting RIPPED
Super-Heavyweight

Congrats on your progress... how did it feel coming back to work ?

i have a simular split. Chest/tri/delts, Back/bis, Legs (mon,wed,fri).

if you dont mind, i would like to know what you did in those 12 days to loose those 10lbs and where you wanna go from here?
Blood & Guts
1 John 4:19 We love because he first loved us.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h206/mikeythatsnice/teamsters.jpg
Old 02-27-2010, 12:07 AM
Bantamweight

Thanks for the reply.

All i did was clean up my diet, eating the things i said above. Mainly chicken, fish, wholewheat pasta, and some salad and such. Also i think i was probably averaging 2k cals or just under on most days. Aside from that, just some weights and short bouts of cardio (normally a 10-15min elliptical session doing 75% effort constantly).

I don't tie my split to specific days as i'm a student and can go on pretty much any day, mondays are a busy day for me but that's about it. This way i'm hoping that if i break it down into a 3 'day' split, i can probably do the split across 5-6 days instead of 7. Depending on how recovery goes on the inbetween days.

I'll probably just do something light on off days. Either a little swimming at the gym, or some crunches and pullups in my room. I heard it helps with recovery if you do some light stuff while you have the DOMs. Active Recovery?

Oh, and how did it feel... well, it felt like i had been putting it off for too long. So it's a relief, i have been so on and off the past year and before that i had a lot of stuff stopping me, such as illness and unemployment or lack of time. My girlfriend had been wanting me to get back in shape since forever too, but she broke up with me this week, so ... yeah, i have plenty of 'me' time right now.

Cheers.

Last edited by Rectify; 02-27-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Bantamweight

Reminder to self: Revise workouts!

Didn't get to the gym today. I was going do Leg day, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

After the hellish week i've had i forgot to submit a university paper that was due yesterday. Luckily there was an online submission option that was available until monday and i explained my circumstances to my tutor, which he was OK with. After all that i ended up just sleeping most of the day as i was up worrying about it during the night.

So tomorrow, Leg day! Then i'll revise my 3 day split.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:44 PM
Super-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectify View Post
After all that i ended up just sleeping most of the day as i was up worrying about it during the night.

So tomorrow, Leg day! Then i'll revise my 3 day split.
no shame in that brother, rest is 2nd of the top 3. top 3 being, nutrition, rest, workouts. rest up and give your legs you know what tomarow
Blood & Guts

Old 03-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Bantamweight

OK, well yesterday the week's events were still catching up with me, rough week... but in about 6 hours time after uni, it's Leg killin' time!

That will mean i've done my 3 day split in 6 days, which is good and how i wanted it (to rotate in 5-6 days instead of 7). Considering the cr*ppy week i've had and that i actually did a cardio day last week too. So 4 workouts in a bad week, that'll do for me.

Will post later with my routine, which i need to finish fixing up later.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Bantamweight

Did Legs + Shoulders as planned. Then went for a swim and jacuzzi soak to stretch and rest up a little as i normally do. Except i left my workout sheet in my short pockets... ink does not like water at all eh.

I have an idea what i wanted to change in my plan, so will get that done by tomorrow and post it up, need to look into some stuff first as i believe i've lost the skill of making a decent workout, hehe.

Day off tomorrow, so Chest/Tri's again!
Old 03-04-2010, 03:09 AM
Bantamweight

OK, so i had an insane sleep last night/today. I went to bed at about 4am i think, didn't set my alarm since it was my day off and somehow didn't wake up until 6.30pm! Not what i was hoping for my day off, but i got up, ate and went to the gym before 10pm closing still, so it's alright.

Sadly after swimming when i went yesterday, i realised i had left my workout sheet in my pocket, so all the notes i had made (about what to change in my workouts) kinda got ruined. But i can remember most of it and managed to salvage a little, lol.

A few notes about my gym:

1. It doesn't have a decent Squat rack, so i would be doing Squats in the smith machine, which is where i usually do Deadlifts also.

2. It also doesn't have a Decline Bench for doing bench press on. I did try doing it with dumbbells on the ab machine, but it's a bit of an effort, so i was after an alternative to that.

Sadly i can't change gym because the others are around an extra 10-15min away and cost 20-50% more than mine, and i'm a poor-*** student.

So here is what i was thinking, after tweaking my workout, i'm sticking to 10/8/8 for most stuff, aside from heavy stuff (deads/squat) and some other bits...

Abs arn't mentioned on there, but i plan on doing them every other day (depending on if they are feeling up to it of course). At home i will just do Decling Crunches along with Weighted Decline Crunches. Whereas if i work them at the gym i will probably do Decline work, Ball Crunches along with Leg Raises... maybe even some Cable Crunches if i'm feeling adventurous!

Off day/Cardio is just when i feel like working out but am too sore to do one of the main workouts, plus i need a little cardio here and there.

Any feedback on my workout is welcome, it's been a while since i made my own.

Cheers.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:18 AM
Super-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectify View Post
OK, so i had an insane sleep last night/today. I went to bed at about 4am i think, didn't set my alarm since it was my day off and somehow didn't wake up until 6.30pm! Not what i was hoping for my day off, but i got up, ate and went to the gym before 10pm closing still, so it's alright.

Sadly after swimming when i went yesterday, i realised i had left my workout sheet in my pocket, so all the notes i had made (about what to change in my workouts) kinda got ruined. But i can remember most of it and managed to salvage a little, lol.

A few notes about my gym:

1. It doesn't have a decent Squat rack, so i would be doing Squats in the smith machine, which is where i usually do Deadlifts also.

2. It also doesn't have a Decline Bench for doing bench press on. I did try doing it with dumbbells on the ab machine, but it's a bit of an effort, so i was after an alternative to that.

Sadly i can't change gym because the others are around an extra 10-15min away and cost 20-50% more than mine, and i'm a poor-*** student.

So here is what i was thinking, after tweaking my workout, i'm sticking to 10/8/8 for most stuff, aside from heavy stuff (deads/squat) and some other bits...

Abs arn't mentioned on there, but i plan on doing them every other day (depending on if they are feeling up to it of course). At home i will just do Decling Crunches along with Weighted Decline Crunches. Whereas if i work them at the gym i will probably do Decline work, Ball Crunches along with Leg Raises... maybe even some Cable Crunches if i'm feeling adventurous!

Off day/Cardio is just when i feel like working out but am too sore to do one of the main workouts, plus i need a little cardio here and there.

Any feedback on my workout is welcome, it's been a while since i made my own.

Cheers.
did we forget something?

calves maybe lol

anyways, i would like you to add another bicep excersise. the hammer curls are great for the brachioradiali, the large muscle of the forearm. so adding another bicep excersise will help you hit your bicep head better. check out this website for some Biceps excersises
Blood & Guts

Last edited by GodsGladiator; 03-04-2010 at 05:41 AM.