Training journal - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 02-19-2010, 01:17 PM
aussiematoes should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Training journal

For about three weeks now, my routine has been the following:

5km run every day (about 40 mins on the treadmill)

Seated shoulder press (25kg per arm)
Chest press machine (75kg)
Squats (40kg)
Preacher curls (20kg x 3 not fully extended, then 10kgx2 full extension)
Deadlift (30kg, but I don't always do this as I'm worried about lower back)

Haven't seen many results. I've tried to keep an eye on my diet. I usually eat

Breakfast
cereal+oj+coffee or 4 eggs (2 yolks removed).
Piece of fruit (apple)

Lunch
Pasta

Dinner
Red meat or pasta or soup

I'm staying with relatives while traveling so I don't have much control over what I eat for dinner.

I have a life saver (fat around my lower abdomen) I've had for years and I'm really trying to get rid of it. Any tips or observations would be appreciated!

Edit: I'm 85kg and about 185 cm tall. I'd like to lose the fat and put on some more size. I've made improvements as far as strength but haven't put on much mass. I don't 'look' fat and have very little fat anywhere except for my gut.

Last edited by aussiematoes; 02-19-2010 at 01:45 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-19-2010, 02:45 PM
tmkeehn is climbing that mountain
Lightweight

I'd recommend which one you want to do more - Lose the fat? Or gain the muscle? And push for that goal the hardest. Chances are, you'll gain some lean muscle while cutting anyway so that's what I'd recommend.

1. Check out the meal plans on the site. They're exceptional and are proven. It doesn't matter who does them, if they're done correctly they work.
2. Ditch the pasta - eat more meat!
3. I'd concentrate on the main lifts for now- Deadlifts, Squats, Bench press, Pull ups, etc...don't worry, this will increase your curls indirectly
4. Ask, ask, ask. The users here are a fountain of knowledge, each one smarter than the rest (or at least they think so) so take advantage of it. Take their feedback with a positive light because they've been there before.
and finally...
5. WORK HARD! The key to everyone's success

Edit: Also, work out before you do your jog. It'll help with the active recovery and will burn more fat in the long run without diminishing the performance on your weight routine.
Squat: PR 375

Last edited by tmkeehn; 02-19-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Ellingham is getting lean
Middleweight

I will say this, diet affects a large percentage of your results so that is the first thing you need to get in check, like tmkeehn said, pick one goal and go for it. You should break up your meals into 5-6 small meals a day instead of 3 meals, so when you pick a goal do some research on diets for either gaining or loosing weight.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:17 PM
GodsGladiator is getting RIPPED
Super-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiematoes View Post
I have a life saver (fat around my lower abdomen) I've had for years and I'm really trying to get rid of it. Any tips or observations would be appreciated!
sorry bro, no such thing as spot fat removal, your body chooses where it wants to burn the fat. sadly, usually the belly fat is the last to go
Blood & Guts
1 John 4:19 We love because he first loved us.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h206/mikeythatsnice/teamsters.jpg
Old 02-27-2010, 03:02 AM
aussiematoes should change his/her status!
Stranger

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. A trainer at the gym I was in suggested that 5km a day was too much, and that even with protein and weights I'd end up burning all my muscle. What do you think?

Btw, GodsGladiator my understanding was that where fat is stored depends on physiology, and as such I'm best off cutting down my body fat % in order to see the gut disappear. My main curiosity is whether there is a sort of fat (I know there is subcutaneous fat and another type) that can't be removed by dieting and cardio, and would require surgery (which would of course be my very very very last resort if this is true). I would rather sweat it off, but the fact I hadn't seen results over the years was demotivating, as I eat and exercise pretty well, have a low calorie intake, etc.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:01 AM
GodsGladiator is getting RIPPED
Super-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiematoes View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the advice. A trainer at the gym I was in suggested that 5km a day was too much, and that even with protein and weights I'd end up burning all my muscle. What do you think?

it depends on your goals, you wont be putting on much mass with that much cardio but burning muscle or fat will depend on your intake of calories, in this case carbs and the intensity of your runs for fat burnning. check your intensity here 60-70% BPM is ideal for fat burnning

Btw, GodsGladiator my understanding was that where fat is stored depends on physiology, and as such I'm best off cutting down my body fat % in order to see the gut disappear. My main curiosity is whether there is a sort of fat (I know there is subcutaneous fat and another type) that can't be removed by dieting and cardio, and would require surgery (which would of course be my very very very last resort if this is true). I would rather sweat it off, but the fact I hadn't seen results over the years was demotivating, as I eat and exercise pretty well, have a low calorie intake, etc.
we all, including the pros hit those brick walls. you just need to find your way over it or around it...you might need to switch some things around to get results again. many styles out there, you just need to test them to find out what will work for you...
Blood & Guts
1 John 4:19 We love because he first loved us.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h206/mikeythatsnice/teamsters.jpg
Old 02-27-2010, 08:31 PM
Gregsimo is on a one way road to mass gaining
Middleweight

The key is to mix things up every now and again. the body is very stubborn and adjusts very easily to diet and training.
At 6ft tall and 85Kg you are an average weight for your height and im guessing you are like me that you only get fat around the middle. I've got a pot belly myself!
I dont think you need as much cardio as you are doing, attempting to gain size with that volume of cardio will be very tough. Three times a week of a 2km run is more than enough.
What you do first truely depends on your long term goals.

Diet is always the main priority
For bulking: http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/get_big_diet_by_jacob_wilson.pdf
For cutting: http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/13wee...urningdiet.pdf
Personally in your position i would go on a mini bulk and take advantage of beginner gains for the first few months. Then for the summer months go on a cut. Then bulk again for x no of months (upto you to decide on long term goals)

The main thing is to be happy with what you achieve from what you see on the scales each month.

Workouts
Strength gains are always good as you have outdone yourself in the gym. Size gains require observation and longer time frames so set yourself small goals to hit month for month to stop you losing the faith.

Just a quick couple of questions:

What are your long term goals?

How long have you been lifting?