Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Recreation > Members' Discussion:

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 06:54 PM
WorkoutMchne is Getting Stronger Everyday
Middleweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigironcross View Post
I assume that Marietta College is near Marietta, Ohio (Southeast Ohio, near West Virginia). I work at Youngstown State University (Northeast Ohio) and live in one of the suburbs. So, I've drove through Marietta on my way to Florida.
Yes, Marietta College is right in Marietta, OH. It's the Marietta exit, Exit #1 on 77.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Uh, oh, it's on now, I'm an over the top guy.
Let's go
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard24 View Post
Question - What is your favorite lift?
Squat, it's awesome. It's by far the most important. If your squat goes up so does your deadlift, but it doesn't always work the other way around. And bench is easy, anybody can do that. Bench is just what they make you do to get from squat to deadlift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmkeehn View Post
Over the top all the way. I have a lot of respect for you workoutmachine, but you've fallen just a bit in my eyes in your careless attitude and general disrespect towards toilet paper art...
This answer is not working out well for me.
If you could speak to three people from any time era who would they be and why?
Great question and tough question (except for the first one).
1. Moses - This is easy. Moses had the closest and most unique relationship with God. Moses even speaks with God "face to face" at the tent meetings (of course God is in the incarnate form here and not as God the father). Moses spent a tremendous amount of time with God and God entrusted him to record history. Exodus 33:17 "The Lord then said to Moses, I will also do this thing you have spoken; for you have found grace in My sight, and I know you above all." God is complying with his request, but also acknowledges how he knows Moses and this to me reveals Moses' rightousness through faith. If God trusted Moses to record history surely Moses could help guide me on the path to rightousness. This relationship is amazing to me.
2. Abraham Lincoln - Without Lincoln we wouldn't know the nation of the United States as it is today. People forget that when Lincoln took office the Confederate States was already established and had elected their own President (I believe Jefferson Davis). So, secession from the union had already occurred. I would want to speak to President Lincoln about his long-term vision for American, I truly believe that he thought of the world 50,100, or even 1000 years down the road, which is why he was able to articulate what needed to be done and take the subsequent actions to allow us to live as we do today. I would like to speak with Lincoln about what his vision for 200 years in the future was. Lincoln was the USA's greatest President.
3. Tie: Mark Messier/Steve Yzerman - I have to have sports guys because sports are my life and there is a tie because these two are simply the greatest leaders in team sports history. In college I was captain of my soccer team for 2 seasons and always tried to lead as these two would, albeit they have somewhat different styles, but when either of them speaks you listen. So, my question to them is, how do you make every single thing you say so important? There is never a time when one of them addresses the team and somebody doesn't listen.
Honorable mention: Ronald Reagan, Gretzky, Greg Maddux, Herb Brooks, Dean Karnazes, Pat Tillman, James Hetfield (got to mention him), and Ed Coan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElitePL242 View Post
who do you think is the greatest basketball player ever?
I will say this, Oscar Robertson averaged a triple double a game, that's ridiculous. But, you know my answer, besides you should be lifting weights to try and catch me, you don't have time to ask these questions.
Florida Atlantic University
USAPL Raw Lifter

Last edited by WorkoutMchne; 02-23-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:47 AM
Middleweight

Okay guys, it's seems to be about time for me to pass this on. I'll hang out here for another couple of days in case there are any other questions then as is customary I will pass it on to someone else. I am still relatively new to the site, however, so I do not know everyone who has been to the well in the past. Can one of you veterans possibly provide me with a list of those who have been to the well so I can make sure to pass to someone new?
USAPL Raw Lifter
Old 02-26-2010, 05:47 AM
niggles is pumped!
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkoutMchne View Post
Okay guys, it's seems to be about time for me to pass this on. I'll hang out here for another couple of days in case there are any other questions then as is customary I will pass it on to someone else. I am still relatively new to the site, however, so I do not know everyone who has been to the well in the past. Can one of you veterans possibly provide me with a list of those who have been to the well so I can make sure to pass to someone new?
in the sticky section theres the in the well thread. shows all the well-heads to date.

and my questions: what in your opinion is the most overrated and underrated exercises and why?
Old 02-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Do you ever plan to change your ways regarding toilet paper?

What do you plan on researching next?

What's the last book you read for enjoyment and what made you read it?

I think it's pretty neat you started up the landscaping business you mentioned at such a young age. Can you tell us more about that?

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 02-27-2010, 12:24 AM
Middleweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
in the sticky section theres the in the well thread. shows all the well-heads to date.
Thanks, I'm an idiot.
and my questions: what in your opinion is the most overrated and underrated exercises and why?
This is tough, because I think A LOT of exercises are overrated. This is a good question because it's all about finding what works and what doesn't. I'll answer this from my perspective as a powerlifter. All single joint exercises are overrated, I haven't done a biceps curl in 8 months. Lateral and front raises are a waste of time (not rear delts) and I believe DB flys to actually make your bench weaker. And anything that is even remotely close to the cable crossover is just a bad idea. These exercises have no specificity to the big exercises, therefore they are only detrimental to 1RM strength on powerlifting movements. If someone just sticks to the big 4: squat, bench, deadlift, and military press they will get bigger and stronger. You will run into trouble if you begin to base your workouts on other exercises.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Do you ever plan to change your ways regarding toilet paper?
It's unfortunate that you can't see the light.
What do you plan on researching next?
Either looking at the effects of varying sequences in non-linear periodization on maximizing strength, indices of muscle damage, inflammatory cytokines, and gene response (This is pretty much just showing that the program you are doing right now works). OR a follow up study to one I just completed which looks at changing exercises between sessions and it's effect on the Repeated Bout Effect ---- One of these will be my dissertation (have a small warm-up and endurance running project this summer too).
What's the last book you read for enjoyment and what made you read it?
Just finished two at the same time. 1. When Character Was King by Peggy Noonan -- This is a biography was Ronald Reagan (my buddy sent it to me as I am a big Reagan fan). 2. Confessions of an All-Night Runner: The Ultra-Marathon Man by Dean Karnazes. This is the 2nd time I've read this. Dean is Greek and I'm Greek, I used to run far my Dean makes me look stupid. He ran over 200 miles in death valley and a marathon on Antarctica it's the most amazing and ridiculous thing, I would definitely check it out.
I think it's pretty neat you started up the landscaping business you mentioned at such a young age. Can you tell us more about that?
MZ Landscape/Odd Jobs Inc. This was amazing. It started out as a side project in the spring and summer of 2003 (the year I graduated from high school). This summer was to be spend dedicated to training as I had stopped drinking and acting like and idiot so I could train al the time and get ready to play my freshman year in college. The only problem was I needed to make money and didn't want to sit at a job when I could train when I wanted to. So, I borrowed my buddy's lawn mower and put it in my old jeep and went door to door looking for work. This first year I would do ANYTHING. Cut grass, clean gutters, I even ran a letter for some 2 miles that needed to be delivered because there was two much traffic on the road, but by the end of the summer I had a viable business. I let somebody run day to day operations when I went to school and I started it up in Marietta and worked at night after soccer practice. In the off-season I came back to D.C. to work the big jobs on the weekends. By the end of the next year I had over 40 lawns a week and two design jobs a week (along with little projects). I employed 6 workers full-time and 10 more just for the summer. Now I started to build stone dust walkways and by the summer of 2005, I developed a new way to build them. Everyday in the summer I woke up at 4:00am to run before work, then worked till late afternoon to lift and play soccer, and then worked until dark ---- It was awesome. After the '06 summer I sold my customers, equipment, and new stone method to a large outlet. This whole thing was amazing. I learned an immense amount about life, business, and what it's like to carry stone for 10 hours a day 7 days a week and still lift weights. This allowed me to buy my first house at 22 (24 now) and help build for the future. It was almost impossible to get started, but I don't know where I would be today without it. That's enough for now, so, I guess this is the short version of the short and sweet history of MZ Landscape/Odd Jobs Inc.
USAPL Raw Lifter

Last edited by WorkoutMchne; 02-27-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:49 PM
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator

Everyone here knows i advocate the Dips more than almost any other exercise, what are your opinions of Dips
Old 03-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Middleweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by klosey View Post
Everyone here knows i advocate the Dips more than almost any other exercise, what are your opinions of Dips
Dips are awesome. I'm paraphrasing here, but as Jim Wendler says in his 5/3/1 manual, "If you are ever at a loss for what to do for assistance work on an upper body day, do dips, lots of them."
USAPL Raw Lifter
Old 03-02-2010, 12:23 AM
will-work4andro is beastmode!!!
Professor of Pain!!

well i have to ask my standard question

If you could form Team Workoutmachine...what would it look like?

your workout partner?
Your nutritionist?
Your trainer?
Gym?
Sponsor?

Muscle Hypertrophy occurs independent of exercise intensity
Old 03-02-2010, 11:04 PM
ElitePL242 is eating.
Rookie

if you were going to set world records for squat, bench, and deadlift, what songs would you chose (1 for each)?

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Old 03-04-2010, 12:09 AM
Middleweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-work4andro View Post
well i have to ask my standard question

If you could form Team Workoutmachine...what would it look like?
Difficult to answer all of these, because there are so many people I want to include.
your workout partner?
As you said in your answer Jeremy, I would like to have you, Jake, Gabe, and Layne (I have a feelling we would get along) all in the gym with me along with Billy Meckes (ElitePL242) and a few others, the world would explode. But I'll stick with two guys that I've trained with: President Wilson and my current lifting partner Caleb Bazyler (he's a monster).
Your nutritionist?
My girlfriend is an R.D. so I should say her, but she doesn't get the nod. I'll take Vice President Venom.
Your trainer?
Matt Gary, 2 time U.S. World's Powerlifting Coach and personal friend. He's the owner of Supreme Sports Performance and Training (SSPT) in Rockville, MD. He understands the mechanics of the three major lifts better than anyone on the planet.
Gym?
My awesome garage. If I had to go to a gym, SSPT (mentioned above). I can't walk into a commercial gym, I get kicked out, they aren't ready for me.
Sponsor?
Adidas, Gatorade, and EliteFTS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElitePL242 View Post
if you were going to set world records for squat, bench, and deadlift, what songs would you chose (1 for each)?
You mean when I set these world records?
Squat: Master of Puppets (no explanation necessary)
Bench: Seek and Destroy (Prez. and I use this as our lift off call instead of the lame 1-2-3, we say Seek-And-Destroy).
Deadlift: The Frayed Ends of Sanity (This is where a max deadlift takes you).
USAPL Raw Lifter
Closed Thread