Strength and Conditioning Coaches Corner - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Recreation > Members' Discussion:

Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 05:29 AM
thirsty_shepard is Makin' it Happen
Bantamweight

Default Strength and Conditioning Coaches Corner

I've been a strength and conditioning coach now for two years in a small town in Texas. I was hired for my desire and intensity in the weightroom. I have spent a lot of time training young men for the body and the spirit. This has occured one-on-one until this last year when a coach I highly admire and respect asked me to take this position. I took the job with same line of thinking I had when I was training my guys personally.

Needless to say, I was in for a shock. I have come a long ways this last year and a half, but see a need for more growth to see a fullfilment in myself as a true S&C person. I have been in programs where stregnth was everything, and others where size was king. I have realized, from trial and much error and from reading other men who have had great success, both are good and useful but are only a small part of a greater picture.

I have a deep seated desire and craving to speak with someone with experience who can guide and educate me. I'm thinking of flying to New Jersey this summer to speak with Joe DeFranco on the matter. I have read and researched his methods and agree fully.Currently my question is in getting a program set in place for the remainder of the school year and for this summer. A proper program with stregnth, agility, and conditioning is my goal.

Any help from men or women who have any experience would be highly appreciated.
O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise. You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart,
O God, you will not despise.

Ps 51:15-17
NIV
Old 03-13-2010, 05:30 AM
Bantamweight

Currently my question is in getting a program set in place for the remainder of the school year and for this summer. A proper program with stregnth, agility, and conditioning is my goal.

Any help from men or women who have any experience would be highly appreciated.
O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise. You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart,

NIV
Old 03-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Link is eating his greens
Light-Heavyweight

I dont get what your asking us? For us to make you a program which involves strength, agility and conditioning?

Not to sound like a dick but this is your future profession, shouldnt you be able to at least make a basic plan for yourself? Im more than happy to help but Im not going to create one from scratch. I will however give my .02 on it. For starters why not give us some background info about yourself (weight, height, age, years training, training styles, whats worked for you, etc.) That would be a good start.

Last edited by Link; 03-13-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Bantamweight

I'm sorry I rambled on in the intro of this, I'm still new to this kind of thing.

I've been here as the S&C guy for two years. As for being the professional, I'm not formally trained. Like I said, I was hired because I love working with young men.

I'm 31, 6 foot tall, 210 lbs. I have been weight training since I was 21. I like doing things like prowler shuttles, cone drills, jump rope. I'm still trying to find a way to increase my bench/incline. I use chains and bands some. I like box squats and box jumps. I usually do supersets in my workouts the second or third exercise and try to perform a complex to completely fatigue me at the end. I like doing weighted core exercises too.

I really don't understand why you want to know what I am. I'm looking for something to train the kids.

I'm not looking for a personal workout. I'm interested in guys who train like or with athletes, mainly football players.

I understand there are different stages you have to go through, Strength, Size, Power, but not sure on the duration or percentages for these workouts. I will try and post a sample of our power workouts later when I have more time.

NIV

Last edited by thirsty_shepard; 03-13-2010 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Couldn't remember what all he wanted me to answer.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:52 PM
Light-Heavyweight

So you want a program for your clients or whatever they are? I dont think thats really possible unless you give their stats and goals. As I dont think you want a cookie cutter program.

Why not look into plyometric training, I love it, works great for speed and power. I used it a lot while I played highschool football in concession with strength training alone.

I also did l A LOT of footwork drills. Although I dont know what your a strength conditioning coach for? Specific sport or what? Its hard to say what I did specifically cause I cant remember all the names for the drills but I can describe them.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Bantamweight

I can't go into specifics for the kids because I make a general program for 200 of them. I have all the athletes in the school. 7th grade through varsity along with boys and girls.

I teach the youngsters form, form, form. I don't really allow the 7th graders to get a true 1RM, but allow them to do a 5RM or more with a certain weight. 8th graders start getting 1RM maxes, but I don't do a percentage chart for them because they would be able to get a new PR every other week.

I was just looking for general information on cycles really. I would like for you to look over the workouts I'm having them do and some of the ones I've done also.

Thanks for the feedback and honest opinions.

NIV
Old 03-14-2010, 10:29 PM
Light-Heavyweight

What information on programs are you interested in? And whats the program you currently have em on?
Old 03-15-2010, 02:13 AM
Bantamweight

This is an example of what we're doing for the next two weeks.

Monday

Squat: 6 @ 75%, 4 @ 50% (3 second pause on bottom), 6 @ 75%, 4 @ 50% (3 second pause on bottom)
Pull Ups: 5 x 10

Cleans: 5 x 5 @ 75%

Jammer/Crunches (Superset): 5 x 8/30

Push Ups: Diamond, Hands Close, Regular, Staggered (Rt/Lf hand up), Wide x 10

Wednesday

Bench (Dynamic Push): 5 x 3 @ 72.5%

Dips/Pull Aparts: 5 x 12/25

Incline (Dynamic Push): 5 x 3 @ 72.5%

Push Press: 5 x 8

Box Jumps and Speed Ladder

Friday

Dead Lift: 2 x 5 @ 75%, 2 x 5 @ 80%, 1 x 5 @ 85%

Cleans: 5 x 3 @ 72.5%

Reverse Lunges: 4 x 8

Jammer Twist: 5 x 8

Matt Drills

NIV

Last edited by thirsty_shepard; 03-15-2010 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Cleaner looking
Old 03-15-2010, 03:58 AM
Light-Heavyweight

And this is just for overall health of the students not sports related correct?

It seems fine, specially considering how young these kids are. I would take out cleans, cause these are young kids and its a fairly complicated exercise as far as movements go. Maybe have the more experienced kids do them but I wouldnt recommend them to your younger students.

It also seems like a lot of volume, Im just thinking for 13 and 14 year olds (I think thats how old you are in 7th or 8th grade). You have them doing 5 sets of 5 reps for cleans, which is a lot. Id just make it like 3 sets 6-8reps for upper body parts and 3 sets 8-10 reps for lower body (but those would be for main lifts, other lifts 2 sets same reps)

Another thing you might want to try and do, is keep Mondays and Fridays to strictly weights and Wednesdays to just speed and agility training, lots of foot work drills (I see you have some stuff at the end of your workouts) but why not make it a full day. Let the kids really learn how to do it properly. And having two workout days you can make one upper body and the other lower keeps it simple, gives ample time for recovery.

Finally my last thought, I wouldnt worry to much about percentage weight that they are going to lift. But rather make each student keep a log book of their weights. Every week either beat lasts weeks weight by 5lbs or by 1 rep at the same weight as last week.

Sorry if some of this stuff doesnt make sense, I just threw out what was in my head not reading it over yet, its late and Im running on very little sleep. I just saw you posted so I thought Id respond before you go into class tomorrow.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Bantamweight

This is more for the general betterment of the athlete overall.

As for taking out the cleans, that's really not my choice. That's above my pay-grade if you know what I mean. I really stress light, quick explosive movements with the 7th and 8th graders. I really don't like them doing more than 5 reps because I don't want fatigue to be a factor with their concentrating on form.

As far as the sets go, I try and time it to where each exercise is complete about the same time.

As for lifting twice a week... that too is above my head. We do speed and agility drills on Tuesdays and Thursdays during the period. Right now we're in track season and runners do their workout, and the throwers/lineman do an explosive workout with med balls and prowlers or agility work with cones. We do foot work on speed ladder during the period. I would like to do more ladders, jump ropes and running ropes with them though. That'll come after track season.

I also have an after-school workout for the kids where I do an Upper Body day on Monday and Wednesday. On these days they usually finish some kind of a complex. Mondays is usually Emphasis on push and Wednesday is usually pull days. Tuesdays and Thursdays are usually legs. I'll do lots of jumps like broad, skipping, bounding... then finish up with a timed mile or tabata jump ropes.

I don't use percentages on the Junior High athletes. It's a thing where I can watch and see if they are going up in weight up staying about the same.

The real problem I'm having is trying to get the intensity up on the weight room. They have never really stressed weight room until I got here. I think after this batch of seniors go, it'll be better with the guys I've had for a couple of years.

I really look forward to the this years 8th graders. I've had them their whole athletic stay. They are a good group of kids. Still have a couple lazy ones with tons of talent that will get passed up by the workers, sadly.

Man I really appreciate the feedback and thoughts. I like bouncing ideas off people and getting an honest opinion.

GET SOME SLEEP!

NIV