ASINES - Cut #2 Journal - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 01:54 PM
ASINES is moving some iron
Bantamweight

Default ASINES - Cut #2 Journal

Approximately 2 years ago I decided to attempt my first ever “cut” (I hate that word, but since I don’t compete, I can’t really call it a “prep”). I learned a tremendous amount in regards to diet from that experience. I cut from about 265 down to 226 from December 2006 to May 2007. The end results were…..ok. I ended up much leaner, but due to inexperience, I lost a little muscle along the way and did not fully trim off the fat that I had hoped.

I feel it’s time again to give it another try. Although I initially wanted to continue the “bulk” (another word I hate) into February, I’m just craving that smaller waistline and increased definition. So, I decided to start a full cut on Sunday, December 27, 2009. I weighed in at 262 lbs (similar to 2 years ago, but leaner) and took some baseline photos.

My diet is SO much more controlled than it was 2 years ago (on my first cut). Not only am I eating basically the same things everyday now, but I also measure it out rather than eyeballing it. It makes a big difference in consistency. Since I’ve been fairly strict with this approach for awhile now, I feel it’s a good opportunity to transition right into a slightly lower calorie cut diet.

On my first cut 2 years ago, I was pretty much just shooting from the hip with the diet. I did not implement refeeds nearly as often or as large as I should have. The result was a fairly depleted state along with a stalled metabolism. Once my metabolism stalled, I got desperate and cut calories too low, allowing for some loss of muscle mass.

I will once again use a carb-cycling approach; I’m not entirely sure whether or not it will be a multiple moderate refeed or a single high refeed approach. I don’t want to deviate too much from my current diet at first…..slightly tweaking the baseline diet will be the easiest transition. As far as macros go, I’ll probably just start eliminating a small portion of the carbs, particularly on non-weight training days.

Last time, on my first cut, I was not as disciplined (diet-wise) as I needed to be. Small snacks, whether clean or not (most of the time it wasn’t), can easily nullify the small daily calorie defict that I have planned. This was the primary reason that I had to drag out the length of my cut, which was another factor for some of the muscle mass loss I experienced. Having this in mind, my goal is to stick to my meal plan without deviation. I need to be strict, otherwise I’ll get too sloppy.

In early October 2009, after receiving some great advice from Dusty Hanshaw, I started eliminating the majority of whey concentrate and replacing it with whole foods to see the difference in body composition and energy levels. I also experimented with eating a whole food meal (in contrast to a shake) 1 hr prior to working out. I liked the results; my energy levels seemed higher during my workouts and I did not feel as bloated despite eating meals rather than shakes (perhaps the lactose?).

I’d love to get another piece of cardio equipment; either an elliptical or steep incline treadmill (preferred).

Another thing.....for those who care, yes, I'm a lifetime natural. For those who don't care, that's fine too.

I feel it’s necessary to set an end date for this cut diet; this will produce a definite goal and will not seem endless. I think a 16 week cut would probably be reasonable. If an additional time period is needed, adjust it later. Although, dragging it out for too long may result in some muscle loss…..limit it to 20 weeks (only if needed). So, the last weigh-in will be April 18, 2010. If I can average 2 lbs per week, this will put me around 230 lbs. Although, I’m not necessarily keeping a certain weight in mind; I’ll let the mirror decide when I’m done.

I’ll be using a bar-type scale (doctor’s office scale) for my weekly weigh-in. As a little extra measurement, I have one of those Omron Body Fat Analyzers. Yeah, they’re not accurate, but they do give consistent readings. I might just use it for the heck of it. I’ll also probably measure my waistline as well. I’ve got a pretty thick midsection……definitely not a good v-taper at all. Fortunately though, this is the place where the fat drops the quickest for me.

Prior to starting this cut, I keep a daily log of my food intake for several weeks. This was my summarized baseline diet. Totals are approximate. Keep in mind, I count all carbs, including vegetables and fiber.

On weight training days during the work week (2 per week):
Protein = 382g
Carbs = 428g
Fats = 83g
Calories = 4025

On weight training days during the weekend (1 per week):
Protein = 326g
Carbs = 383g
Fats = 77g
Calories = 3569

On non-weight training days (4 per week):
Protein = 355g
Carbs = 207g
Fats = 111g
Calories = 3176

I'll try and update this journal at least every week....it should be easier now since I'm actually keeping a personal log on my own.

Last edited by ASINES; 01-29-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Bantamweight

Default Week 1 Plan (week ending 1/2/10)

Diet Plan
Protein = 382g
Carbs = 357g
Fats = 68g
Calories = 3595

Protein = 334g
Carbs = 352g
Fats = 79g
Calories = 3466

Protein = 369g
Carbs = 149g
Fats = 128g
Calories = 3096

Cardio Plan
On non-weight training days in the morning, do 30 minutes on stationary bike; level 4.0 to 4.5. This will equal four (4) sessions; three (3) weekdays and one (1) on Sunday.

Sunday will have an additional session in the late afternoon / early evening.

After the weekend weight training session, an extra 30 minute session will be added. Either use elliptical or inclined treadmill.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Bantamweight

Default Week 1 Summary (week ending 1/2/10)

Baseline Weight
Last week baseline = 262 lbs
This week baseline = 255.4 lbs
Net loss of 6.6 lbs

Obviously since this was the first week so I dropped a good bit of water. This large of a loss won’t happen from here on out.

Other Measurements
Omron Bodyfat % last week = did not measure
Omron Bodyfat % this week = measured, but don’t have it handy at the moment
*Omron readings are used solely for comparison; actual bodyfat is not known

Waistline last week = did not measure
Waistline this week = measured, but don’t have it handy at the moment

Diet
Considering the time of the year (Christmas and New Year’s), I stuck to my diet plan fairly well. There was a little deviation Saturday and Sunday though. Saturday morning we went to Casselman Restaurant; I used this as a refeed. The two consecutive low carb days seemed pretty tough; my energy levels were pretty low. Sunday I snacked too much…….my mother in law had too many sweets lying around to resist. I will reign this is in next week since I will have a normal schedule. I definitely need to get more vegetables and salads in my diet.

I’m not so sure that my “high” carb days (on weight training days) are high enough to act as a refeed. I might have to either add some carbs here or use a larger single refeed like Skip on the weekends.

Cardio
I was only able to get the (4) 30 min. morning sessions in this week. I wanted to get a evening session on Sunday but things came up and I wasn’t able to squeeze it in.

Weight Training
I’ll be due for a cruise soon. I’ve been blasting for 10 weeks now.

Adjustments for Next Week
I don’t think any adjustments, except for possibly using a refeed on Saturday, are needed for the upcoming week other than sticking to the plan. I’m going to stick to the diet as-is and see how I feel. If I decide to start using Saturday as a refeed, obviously I’ll have to start out low (500g carbs?) and work my way up. Also, I will probably start using Yohimbine HCL for the first time to aid in the fat loss.

Last edited by ASINES; 01-08-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Bantamweight

Default Week 2 Plan (week ending 1/9/10)

Diet Plan
Same as week 1 except that Saturday will be a refeed day, even though itís also a training day. I will start with 700g of carbs and see how that goes. I want to baseline by Tuesday morning, which will be 3 days after the refeed. If itís sooner, then I know that I could have gone higher. If itís later, then I spilled over and need to reduce it for now. This total will likely need to increase as my diet progresses and I become more depleted.

Protein = 382g
Carbs = 357g
Fats = 68g
Calories = 3595

Protein = 308g
Carbs = 749g
Fats = 95g (minimal throughout early part of day; total mainly comes from last 2 meals)
Calories = 5159

Protein = 369g
Carbs = 149g
Fats = 128g
Calories = 3096

Cardio Plan
Same as week 1 plan. On non-weight training days in the morning, do 30 minutes on stationary bike; level 4.0 to 4.5. This will equal four (4) sessions; three (3) weekdays and one (1) on Sunday. Sunday will have an additional session in the late afternoon / early evening. After the Saturday weight training session, an extra 30 minute session will be added. Either use elliptical or inclined treadmill.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Logged in

Are you going to be tracking workouts in this journal as well?

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 01-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Bantamweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Logged in

Are you going to be tracking workouts in this journal as well?
I guess I should have mentioned something about training, huh? Well, I'm not sure if I'll list everything....that gets kinda tedious. I'll probably list PR's along the way though. As you know, I've been a diehard DC'er for years. I've just recently "tweaked" the standard 2 way split into my own version. It wouldn't be fair to call it DC, but it shares alot of the structure. Here's a basic outine:

2 way split, 3 days per week
split 1 = chest, shoulders, triceps, back width, back thickness
split 2 = abs, biceps, forearms, calves, hams, quads
(1) exercise per muscle per workout; rotate 3 different variations

As you can see....it's DC structured. However, I'm using my first set only to measure progression. I'm following up this heavier first set with 2 progressively lighter sets, same rep range. This is in place of the traditional rest-pause style of the sets where you use the same weight, only progressively less reps. Just a little thing I'm trying.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Bantamweight

Default Week 2 Summary (week ending 1/9/10)

*From now on, I will include Sunday in the summary since I typically write up everything Monday morning.

Baseline Weight
Last week baseline = 255.4 lbs (reached this Wednesday morning)
This week baseline = 253.0 lbs
Net loss of 2.4 lbs

Just about where I want to be as far as fat loss on a weekly basis.

Other Measurements
Omron Bodyfat % last week = 21.5%
Omron Bodyfat % this week = 21.1%
*Omron readings are used solely for comparison; actual bodyfat percentage is much lower

Waistline last week = 40.0Ē
Waistline this week = 39.4Ē

Diet
I nailed the diet this week. The two (2) consecutive low carb days (Thursday and Friday) prior to my Saturday weigh-in gets pretty brutal. I definitely feel depleted by Saturday morning, but not extremely hungry, which is good. The refeed Saturday was much needed. I wanted to get around 750g of carbs during the refeed, but I ended up closer to probably 850g.

I did not receive my yohimbine HCL yet from Trueprotein. It was supposed to be delivered last week, but it still hasnít arrived after ordering it over 1.5 weeks ago.

I noticed a BIG increase in appetite/hunger on Sunday (the day after the refeed). I guess that means that the refeed did itís job.

Cardio
I was able to get the (4) 30 min. morning sessions in this week as well as an extra session Friday evening. (This extra session was originally planned for Saturday postworkout, but it made more sense to have it the night before my weigh-in rather than during a refeed day.) I opted out of the evening Sunday session; by the time I was able to get the extra evening session started it would have been about 4 hours since my last meal. I didnít want to stretch it any further especially after how hungry I felt all day.

Weight Training
Iím still feeling good. I noted last week that Iíll probably need a cruise soon. As long as Iím feeling good and there ares no overtraining symptoms, Iíll keep going. When I do eventually cruise, I think Iíll try an active-recovery rather than avoiding the gym altogether. Typically I donít touch a weight for 1-1.5 weeks. However, I might try some light work and lengthen the cruise period to 2 weeks.

Adjustments for Next Week
Iím not going to mess with anything yetÖ..why change it if itís working? I need to pay close attention to when I baseline this week since I overshot my carb goal during the refeed. If I baseline by Tuesday, maybe Wednesday, and still lose a couple pounds by the end of the week, Iíll use the increased carb total for the refeed as the new goal.

Iím moving the extra cardio session on Saturday to Friday evening because it makes more sense.

Once again, if I ever receive my yohimbine HCL, Iíll start using it on my low carb days.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Bantamweight

Default Week 3 Plan (week ending 1/16/10)

Diet Plan
Repeat Week #2 diet plan with the increased carb intake.

Protein = 382g
Carbs = 357g
Fats = 68g
Calories = 3595

On weight training days during the weekend (1 per week; REFEED):
Protein = 308g
Carbs = 887g
Fats = 99g (minimal throughout early part of day; total mainly comes from last meal)
Calories = 5773

Protein = 369g
Carbs = 149g
Fats = 128g
Calories = 3096

Cardio Plan
Same as week 2 plan. On non-weight training days in the morning, do 30 minutes on stationary bike; level 4.0 to 4.5. This will equal four (4) sessions; three (3) weekdays and one (1) on Sunday. Sunday (which has already been noted that I opted out) and Friday will have an additional session in the late afternoon / early evening.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Bantamweight

I'll try and get some progress photos taken this week since it will be approximately 3 weeks into the diet. Hopefully some changes are noticeable.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Bantamweight

Finally received my yohimbine HCL from Trueprotein. I tried it out yesterday.....took in 15mg total, but it was divided over 3 small doses. I wanted to start low and slowly increase it to gauge my tolerance. I didn't really feel anything, which I guess isn't surprising since I really don't feel effect from ANY type of stim. I'll probably keep it around 20mg and see what happens.