Last Semester of College - Bulk Workout Log - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 05:31 PM
arian11 is 500 deadlift achieved, time for a 500 squat!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Last Semester of College - Bulk Workout Log

This is my last semester at Florida State University. I am getting my B.S. in Mechanical Engineering. This also means that this is my last few months of having a gym to workout in for free. I want to use this wisely and end on a strong note with a nice, clean bulk.

Right now, I weigh about 165-170 lbs. I forgot to weigh myself this morning, but I will check it tomorrow. I want to get to 180 lbs by the end of the semester, which is the end of April. This gives me about 16 weeks to gain about 10-15 lbs, which is very doable.

I am trying a new workout split I have never tried before, but I have seen some people on here doing it. I am doing a Upper/Lower split with Heavy and Hyper days. Right now, it looks like I am going to do Upper Heavy on Tuesdays, Lower Heavy on Wednesdays, Upper Hyper on Fridays, and Lower Hyper on Saturdays. Sunday, Monday, and Thursday will be rests days and maybe some cardio if I see I am gaining too much fat. Every few weeks, I am changing some of the exercises or switching from DB to BB, so that my body does not get use to doing the same thing every week. So I can't really put up my full workouts on here at once, but you will see them as I go. Here is a sample one, this is what I am going to be doing today:

Upper Heavy:
BB Incline Press
Weight Pull-Up
BB Overhead Press
BB Shrugs
DB Curls superset w/ DB Extensions

That's it. 4 sets of each exercise on heavy days and 3 sets of each exercise on hyper days. Heavy days will be in the 4-6 rep range while hyper days will be in the 8-12 rep range. There will be some exceptions where I will do more reps like for calves or abs.

I don't have the time to calculate my calories every day but I will probably take a random, average day and calculate my calories to see about where I am. Here are some of the foods I bought today:

Fat Free Milk
Bananas
Tangerines
Oatmeal
Chicken Breast
Eggs
Whole Wheat Pasta
Whole Wheat Bread
Sunflower Oil
Frozen Vegetables
Peanut Butter

For supplements, I have a 10 lb thing of protein powder, a bottle of NO Xplode, some creatine monohydrate that I still have left but is supposedly expired, some Centrum multi-vitamins that I never take because I can't swallow pills, and a bottle of multi-vitamins in powder form.

I think that is every thing, if I forgot anything I will post it up later. About to go take some NO Xplode for the first time ever right now and then go to the gym in like 30 mins. I will post up how my first workout went when I come back.

"Technique is always the first place to begin when striving to improve at a specific skill."
My YouTube Page
Old 01-05-2010, 05:46 PM
WorkoutMchne is Getting Stronger Everyday
Middleweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by arian11 View Post
This is my last semester at Florida State University. I am getting my B.S. in Mechanical Engineering.
Dude, you're at Florida St.? Stop by my office, I'm 100A in the Sandels building, it's on the corner of Convocation Way and Call St. We'll talk about getting strong.
Florida Atlantic University
USAPL Raw Lifter
Old 01-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

6 exercises x 4 heavy sets = 24 heavy sets. Maybe I'm a wuss, but that sounds a little draining on the CNS. Just my opinion.

If you want to gain, you must (as you stated) calculate calories at some point at least to get your typical day. Then you reassess after a week or two to see what happens on the scale.

Save your money on NO Xplode and use it for a gym membership or garage equipment once you graduate.

Good luck.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 01-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Light-Heavyweight

WorkoutMchne:
I am always down to talk about getting bigger and stronger. Are you in your office at certain times or should I just drop by whenever? All my classes are at the Engineering Building off campus, but I will definitely try and drop by some time this week.

Commander:
So how many heavy sets should I be trying to hit? I could do 3 sets each exercise or just cut out the curls and extensions altogether. The only reason I bought NO Xplode was because my roomate talked it up so much about how it'll give you crazy energy and give you a ton of energy, but my first experience did not go so well, as you will see when I talk about my workout. Fortunately, I am lucky enough to have my parents pay for all my necessities, so I can use my extra money to try out supplements and whatnot.

1st Workout:

So, like I said earlier, this was my 1st experience with NO Xplode. I had my 3/4 cups Oatmeal, 1 1/2 cups Milk, and 1 scoop protein powder at about 10:50-11am. Then, I had 1 scoop of NO Xplode with water at about 12:35pm and got to the gym at about 1:15pm. I did not feel anything different when I got there and started my workouts. Have way through I started feeling like I was going to puke but I kept pushing through all the exercises. Once I got home and had my protein shake and a hot shower, I started to feel better. My roomate says it could be because I ate something before. Its funny how he woke up at like 12pm, had his 1 1/2 scoops of NO Xplode on an empty stomach and went to the gym with his brother at 12:15pm and he said he had energy and a great workout. Where I try and do everything right, waking up early to go grocery shopping, having a healthy breakfast, waiting to have my NO Xplode, and then waiting the 30-45 mins it said it would take to affect me and I had a ****ty workout. Oh well, maybe the world wants me to do things the wrong way to get big, lol. I might try taking it on an empty stomach tomorrow morning when I go work out lower heavy. Here is what I did today though:

BB Incline Press:
3 sets 135/6
1 set 135/5

Pull-Up:
2 sets BW+20lbs/6
2 sets BW+10lbs/4

BB Overhead Press:
4 sets 95/4

BB Shrugs:
2 sets 225/6 w/ bar behind body
2 sets 225/6 w/ bar in front of body

DB Curls ss w/ DB Extensions:
Curls - 2 sets 35/6 & 2 sets 35/4
Extensions - 4 sets 25/6

"Technique is always the first place to begin when striving to improve at a specific skill."
My YouTube Page
Old 01-05-2010, 08:28 PM
tmkeehn is climbing that mountain
Lightweight

Have caffeine much? No Xplode has roughly 100mg of caffeine in it, or roughly 1.5-2 cups of coffee. It could just be your body reacting to that and the sugars in it together. I would definitely eat before your heavy day and drop the NO, but feel free to experiment.

On a side note, the caffeine energy boost will fade after a week or 2, once the user gets used to that boost of caffeine. It will still be noticeable but not as potent. Its much easier to just make coffee in the morning!
Squat: PR 375
Old 01-06-2010, 12:41 AM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Commander:
So how many heavy sets should I be trying to hit? I could do 3 sets each exercise or just cut out the curls and extensions altogether. The only reason I bought NO Xplode was because my roomate talked it up so much about how it'll give you crazy energy and give you a ton of energy, but my first experience did not go so well, as you will see when I talk about my workout. Fortunately, I am lucky enough to have my parents pay for all my necessities, so I can use my extra money to try out supplements and whatnot.
It depends on the individual, just seemed like a really high volume to me.

Workout Machine won't steer you wrong, talk with him and you'll be good to go.

Good deal with your parents, make sure they know how much you appreciate them!

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 01-06-2010, 01:12 AM
Light-Heavyweight

Nah, I've like never had coffee before and I don't have anything else with caffeine in it. So that might be why. I already bought the NO Xplode and got it off online, so I'm going to try it out again and see if my body reacts to it better. If I still feel bad, I'll have to drop it and just give it to my roommate. Thanks for the info tmkeehn.

My YouTube Page
Old 01-06-2010, 01:46 AM
tmkeehn is climbing that mountain
Lightweight

You might try taking half a scoop and acclimating up to it.
Squat: PR 375
Old 01-06-2010, 11:34 AM
WorkoutMchne is Getting Stronger Everyday
Middleweight

Quote:
WorkoutMchne:
I am always down to talk about getting bigger and stronger. Are you in your office at certain times or should I just drop by whenever?
Most times are good. Pretty much anytime today should be good, up until about 2 o'clock or so. And the same thing on Friday until about 1. Also, man President Wilson's office (the President of this awesome website) is right next to mine. Look forward to meeting you here at some point.
Florida Atlantic University
USAPL Raw Lifter
Old 01-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Light-Heavyweight

This was my 2nd workout and my 2nd day with NO Xplode. I woke up at 9am and had my oatmeal, milk, and protein powder breakfast. Then I put my scoop of NO Xplode and water in a water bottle and took it with me to class. I decided to sip on it during class from like 11:40am-12pm. I then headed to the gym and did my Lower Heavy workout. I maybe felt alittle increase in energy, but most of that was gone after 4 heavy sets of squats. Towards the end of the workout when I was doing abs, I started feeling like I was gonna puke again. So, I guess I'm still not use to it yet. Here is what I did:

2nd Workout:

Squat:
4 sets 175/6

BB Stiff-Leg Deadlift:
2 sets 225/6
2 sets 225/4

Standing Calf Raise:
100/20
170/6
100/20
170/6

Crunches:
2 sets 30 reps

Swiss Ball Crunch:
2 sets 15 reps

Wasn't too bad of a day. Felt like I hit my quads pretty well with the squats, usually I don't feel it that much in my quads as I think I should. Did alittle confusion to my calves mixing in high and low reps because my calves suck and I need to improve them. I hate doing abs and the gym was kind of crowded because its the start of the semester and year and everyone trying to get back in the gym so I just did a quick ab workout and got out of there. Tomorrow is my first rest day before I start going into my hypertrophy workouts. Hopefully I will be fully recovered by then.

My YouTube Page

Last edited by arian11; 01-07-2010 at 04:45 PM.